Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 08:26PM

I had another pair, so I still got to see the eclipse.

I was watching the eclipse in Utah, and someone came up to me and asked if he could look through my eclipse glasses. I let him look, but I wanted him to be able to have a better view of the eclipse, and I wanted to watch the eclipse without being interrupted too much. I told him I had a second pair, and I went into my apartment to get the second pair. I let him use them, and he said he would let his kids look through them. It looked like the kids who were there were his kids. I assumed he would stay close to me as long as he was using the glasses, and he would give them back before going anywhere else. He left and walked across the street. I saw a group of people in the parking lot across the street, and I thought he must be watching the eclipse with them. I stood outside looking at the eclipse to the very end. The people across the street finally left, and I didn't see him. He never gave me the glasses back. I was standing in the same location, in plain sight, until the end of the eclipse, and he could have easily seen me if he had come back.

I bought these glasses, along with another pair and a booklet, before the eclipse in 2017. I was really into the 2017 eclipse, and those glasses were really special. They had a unique design on them. They were a nice memento to keep indefinitely. I still have one pair, but I really wish I had the other one.

He should have given them back! I was doing him a favor! He should have been more appreciative.

As the eclipse was ending, it dawned on me that he would probably never return the glasses, and I was worrying about that and watching the eclipse at the same time.

I would have been fully justified if I had not told him about the second pair. If somebody doesn't care enough about an eclipse to get eclipse glasses, he should not expect to have the same experience as somebody who has prepared thoroughly beforehand.

Maybe he thought I was giving them to him. That was not my intention, but maybe he got the wrong idea. Maybe I should have asked him to return the glasses later. Even so, he should have realized that I might want the glasses back.

When I first saw him he was blowing smoke in my face. If somebody is careless enough to blow smoke in your face, maybe you should be extra careful about trusting him with things.

At least he thanked me, asked me for my name, and gave me his first name.

At least I made him and his kids happy.

I talked to some people to try to find out where he was.

It's really frustrating that I don't know how to get a hold of him.

I was doing him a favor, and he should have given the glasses back to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2023 08:34PM by behindcurtain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 09:25PM

I'm sorry. You did a nice thing, but unfortunately ran into a jerk. I guess his blowing smoke in your face should have been a clue.

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: October 20, 2023 09:05PM

Having my eclipse glasses stolen was a rough experience. I needed to let people know about it. Thanks for reading.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 09:26PM

He'll be the one preaching about how magnanimous ghawd is, how generous and giving!  

After all, didn't ghawd just reward him with his own set of eclipse glasses?

Praise Jesus!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 09:30PM

> Praise Jesus!

Ironic, that.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 04:32AM

"When I first saw him he was blowing smoke in my face."

So Mormons are right to give smokers the stink eye. If they break the WoW, what's next?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 19, 2023 11:19AM

You missed a point so obvious that I assume you deliberately missed it.

As for the glasses, yeah, the guy was a jerk. On the other hand, they probably would have sat in a drawer until OP died, at which point they would have ended up in a landfill, which is the usual fate of mementos. Try and take the long view.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.