Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 02:03PM

I didn't see a brides' room when I toured a new temple in TX. I have never heard of one, but then I was never a temple loving member. Guess it's a room where bitchy temple workers inform prospective brides that their temple dresses don't meet the criteria to be worn for their temple marriage/sealing. That's what happened to my wife because her dress was deemed too worldly and immodest to be worn inside the temple.

This is a new video from Rome temple.
https://youtu.be/4FEO4vGChmQ?t=473

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 02:12PM

Salt Lake Temple has one.

Once while on late night cleaning duty we were walked through the brides room per a short cut to another portion of the temple. The sisters in the group requested I stop and clean the ceiling vents since there was no ladder and I could reach them.

The temple supervisor was irked with me that I was wiping dirt and cobwebs from the vents. Because I was not assigned to do that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 02:16PM

Silence is Golden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The temple supervisor was irked with me that I was
> wiping dirt and cobwebs from the vents. Because I
> was not assigned to do that.

They never waste an opportunity to rebuke a helpful member, do they?

And they wonder why people leave.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 03:12PM

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 04:43PM

“They never waste an opportunity to rebuke a helpful member, do they?”

Ain’t that the truth?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 04:45PM

Steadying the ark and all that. . .

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: October 21, 2023 01:17PM

I’m just curious…when you go to clean the temple, do you have to dress in white?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 21, 2023 01:31PM

No, but you have to have recently bathed in righteousness.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 02:29PM

I wonder if they've ever heard of those things called vacuum attachments.

I was married in the SLC temple back in medieval times. I don't remember a bride's room. If I used one, it made zero impression on me. I was just trying to follow their directions as they herded us around.

The whole wedding experience was somewhat upsetting because I had gone through for my endowment for the first time minutes before. I was not expecting the washing and anointing, handshakes, death penalties and subjugation oath to my husband. There was no time to think about anything. I didn't want to derail my wedding day. I was disappointed no one in my life cared enough to warn me about what to expect in the temple.

But alas, I was righteous and explained it all away.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 05:29PM

>> Because I was not assigned to do that. <<

Sounds like a union job.

Bride room lady requests cleaning.

Ladder person sets up the ladder.

Cleaning rag person brings a cleaning rag.

Vent cleaner cleans the vent.

Rag person removes the dirty rag.

Ladder person moves the ladder.

Floor cleaner cleans up any stuff on the floor.

Bride room lady says "you missed a spot."

Repeat process.

That's gods kingdom in action!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 05:18AM

Now, THAT is the temple I remember!! Shortly after We got our temple in Central NM, my stepson and his bride-to-be wanted to be married there. I still had a temple recommend at that time, although if anybody had any real insight about my level of belief, they would have yanked the recommend.

To date, all of my kids and step-kids have left the church.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 11:51PM

As a restorationist church, Brother Nelson has received inspiration to restore OBEDIENCE to the top of the list and now faith, hope, and charity go to the back of the bus.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 03:52PM

I almsot forgot. I've told the story here a lot as it is.

I got my dress at ZCMI and they said the bodice lace had to have a lining, but the sleeves were okay as they had a cap over them--cap was lace and the sleeves were lace. They told me I'd have to wear one of those robes and as we were debating the issue, my mother walked in. My mother was not assertive. She didn't even know what was going on. Just her coming in the room stopped the whole debate and they never made me wear the robe. I thought that was odd.

They are bullies. I'm still shocked that they didn't keep talking and get my mom involved as my mom would have backed down.

Oh, my mom told me when I went through for my endowment to get someone else to go alone with me as she was always too nervous when she was doing a session to help me and she went quite a bit. She was 53 when I got married, but they made her feel uncomfortable.

And dagny: I lucked out. A few years before I got married, a friend from work had been rehearsing a play and the women talked about getting naked in the temple. She was freaked out and asked me if I heard about it and I told her I'd ask my sister. I told my sister if she didn't tell me what happened, then I'd leave the church immediately. My experience with that wasn't bad. They were very proper, the women who performed the washing and anointing and I was okay with it the way they did it.

I had been baptized for the dead a few times. One time I went to do them and the old bitches told me to drop the cute outfit first and then they'd give me a towel and they stood there watching me. Cheryl used to talk about that happening to her and most people didn't believe her. I do.

When I got to the endowment room and there we all were dressed like the other churches they had told us we never did. I can't remember what went through my head. I used to remember the thought I had. But it was another one of those clues that there was something wrong here. Every time I went to the temple something bad went on and, messygoop, they were always bitches. I got in trouble for not tying my sash in a perfect bow.

My "husband" just told me that he saw men get in trouble for not tying that thing you had to tie to your shirt in the center loop--they'd have to stop and have the guy fix it. I got my robe on inside-out once. That was a choice experience.

And the last time they pulled me aside for sealings to a weirdo guy like the ones who bugged me in the singles ward--and I'm not a mean or picky person. I have STORIES you wouldn't believe. My sister told me to write a book about the strange men who stalked me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2023 03:54PM by cl2.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 04:08PM

cl2 Wrote:
> I almsot forgot. I've told the story here a lot as it is.

I have STORIES you wouldn't believe. My sister told me to write a book about the strange men who stalked me.

But being stalked by 'worthy PH members in the temple' was good for your Ego, Right?

O, Never Mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2023 04:09PM by GNPE.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 04:53PM

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 06:22PM

Denver has one.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 08:42PM

My Mom worked in the SL temple years ago. She was an assistant in the baptistry, highest ranking female job, she said. I was prepared for the bride's room. I wore my sister's wedding dress--the ladies added an insert for the V neck and slide on sleeves to cover my lower arms.

Years later, when we attended many non-LDS weddings for co-workers, I became angry that I had been cheated out of "my big day." At least we managed not to have a reception in the ward. We had it at The Candlelight Inn. Much nicer.

I was a returned missionary, so I'd already gone through the endowment silliness.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 08:51PM

When I got married in the Las Vegas temple there were 3 brides getting ready in the bride's room at the same time. I was one of them. It was very crowded, I only had my mom with me but the other two brides had their moms, grandma's aunts, and female friends with them. One bride was running late and her grandma took me aside so that she can have the mirror. My bride's room experience as a bride was not positive. Over 10 people stuck in one small room. My nonmember family waited for hours outside of the temple for me.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 09:22PM

I remember it feeling like an assembly line. There were several other wedding couples going through the same session as me (SLC was busy). The officiators had all the brides and grooms going through the session to participate in the dumb prayer circle. That added another layer of uncomfortable weirdness. One of the other couples was the brother of someone I had dated. I didn't need that association either. There we were, doing the pay lay ale wave at each other. I was completely uncomfortable.

Then they shuttled us couple by couple to the sealing rooms for the wedding. The big shot pseudo GA who was there that day to perform marriages went from one wedding to the next. He no doubt gave his spiel at each one about the mirrors representing eternity. I remember the few relatives I had there in the sealing room wearing their temple garb looking cultish. I was glad to get out of there.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 10:04PM

"He no doubt gave his spiel at each one about the mirrors representing eternity."

It wasn't a GA that sealed me but the sealer did mention the mirrors representing eternity. Nope nothing was special about my wedding. Brides were lined up. I don't remember if it was a sealing every hour or every half hour but it was a very busy Saturday.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 10:50PM

to prevent brides from seeing another bride either by having only one reception at a time or by the layout of thee rooms.

It’s exceptionally undesirable to encounter another bride on your special day.

Posted by: Finding Freedom ( )
Date: January 25, 2024 06:15AM

Notmonotloggedin Wrote:
> It’s exceptionally undesirable to encounter
> another bride on your special day.

It would look like a Moonie ceremony. They wed people in Industrial quantities.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 09:28PM

DC temple does. It's a multi-bride room with several vanity tables around the room, looks glum and as far from special as you could get.

Posted by: Finding Freedom ( )
Date: January 25, 2024 06:13AM

anonynon Wrote:
> DC temple does. It's a multi-bride room with
> several vanity tables around the room, looks glum
> and as far from special as you could get.

Multibride room makes it sound like a glorified locker room. I'm sure some women would like some time to reflect before they get eternally joined to the male of their dreams.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 05, 2023 11:41PM

Philadelphia temple has one, and it's fairly new. Opened in 2016.

Posted by: Livid ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 05:59PM

Ours did.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 06:05PM

I don't think it was on the tour of the newly refurbished Washington, D.C. temple. I don't remember it, although I do remember seeing a sealing room. I remember noting that the sealing room did not have any windows. I thought it was a rather depressing place to be married.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 08:14PM

It was there, just so depressing you probably tuned it out! It was like a cubicle farm with dressing tables instead of cubicles.

Posted by: Alien Weaponry ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 06:39AM

anonynon Wrote:
> It was there, just so depressing you probably
> tuned it out! It was like a cubicle farm with
> dressing tables instead of cubicles.

Sounds like an office.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.