Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 12:37PM

In my case, only one generation. My mom’s father had 10 wives (living in 10 separate households). I know that at least one (possibly two) of his marriages were in the temple, and all were performed by LDS leaders (all were post manifesto).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 12:46PM

Technically myself and my Father are polygamists as we are s wled to two wives each.

But as for multiple wives when living, I am three generations off.

But I did know thruple couple in our ward, very elderly in their late 90s I think they were, that were polygamist.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 01:20PM

polygamists. My mother lived with her ggm on and off over the years. The ggm ran the farm in Trenton, Utah, and the ggf and the other wives lived in St. George.

My grandparents were both deaf and my mom was the oldest. She learned to sign before she learned to speak--while living with her gm. She taught the younger ones to speak and sign. She would tell the younger kids what their parents were saying until they could communicate with their parents, too.

Oh, my grandparents met in the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind when they were in 3rd grade. My gm was not a mormon. Gf moved away, but when he was 29 he came back looking for her and she converted. I wouldn't call them extreme mormon like my mom's siblings are.

Those at the only polygamists I know. I asked my dad if there were polygamists in his family and he said they weren't that stupid.

I'd rather be single any day than be a polygamist.

Posted by: naIicea ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 01:38PM

Not nearly far enough.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 01:41PM

had two wives. I am descended from the second wife.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 02:26PM

Sometimes circumstances may encourage hubris.

I remember exactly the circumstances that encouraged polygamous yearnings in me as a young man.  Suffice it to say that I ended up at a skating rink in Anaheim, CA, with two young women as my dates; they had not met prior to that evening. A 'triples' skate was called and the three of us were among the few skaters out on the floor.  At that moment, I was wafted along on clouds of glory...

Thank ghawd I cannot remember any conversations; my brain probably cast them out to slightly improve my chances for remaining sane.

Whatever silly thoughts I may have entertained about the glories of polygamy are long gone.  You may have thought I was joking when, in the past, I've mentioned that the ideal starter-unit family is one strong woman and five "normal" (it's in quotes because I'm including myself) men.  I wasn't joking.

How you strong ladies of RfM want to divvy us up is on you...  But I reserve the right to kill myself if Gladys picks me!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 03:11PM

> But I reserve the right to kill
> myself if Gladys picks me!

Rest assured, Mr. Jesus, that I would kill myself LONG before we arrived at that juncture.

Date: October 18, 2023 03:16PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-----------------------------------
> > But I reserve the right to kill
> > myself if Gladys picks me!
>
> Rest assured, Mr. Jesus, that I
> would kill myself LONG before we
> arrived at that juncture.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Me thinks the lady doth protest too much!!

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 20, 2023 04:38PM

we know why you can't remember conversations. At the time all of the blood had migrated from your brain to somewhere else. The interesting question is "how could you skate in that condition?"

Date: October 20, 2023 04:45PM

"...We are such stuff as dreams are made on,
and our little life is rounded with a sleep."

I want to believe that Willie also liked to follow his 'compass arrow'.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 08:00PM

Sounds like an ice cream cone. I'll have a scoop of asian, latina, and dark chocolate mmmmmmmm lick lick.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: October 19, 2023 12:12AM

My aunt and uncle are part of the of missionaries that left the French Mission to became part of the LeBaron polygamist group back in the 1950s. Some of my cousins are polygamists. The closest polygamists in my direct line would be my great grandparents. My grandmother was the oldest child of the second wife.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 19, 2023 11:02AM

I have zero polygamists in the family tree, and zero Utah ancestry, which is quite the trick for a fourth generation Mormon. Somebody baptized an ancestor of mine in the southeast back in the late 1800s. I’d like to think it was B H Roberts, who served his mission there, and the timeframe fits. Said ancestor stayed in the southeastern US.

And I, one of the more prominent exMos in the extended family, am one of the few family members in Utah, and the only one I know of a short walk from the SL temple. Life takes some interesting twists.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: October 19, 2023 11:07AM

Great grandparents.

Date: October 19, 2023 12:27PM

lapsed2 Wrote:
-----------------------------
> Great grandparents.

Lucky you!

At best, mine were mediocre grandparents…

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 19, 2023 12:08PM

4 generations. My polygamist great great grandfather got thrown into the Sugar House federal prison for polygamy and kept his youngest wife and divorced the three older ones.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 20, 2023 01:18AM

My father's Utah pioneer family makes no mention of it in the huge family history book published 30 years ago...but ya never know. Mom was a convert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2023 01:19AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Euro ( )
Date: October 20, 2023 04:58AM

Excepting bigamists I'm not aware of, there has not been polygamy in my family since pagan times... so we'll call it at least a thousand years.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 20, 2023 09:21PM

Great-grandpa, an apostle. Mom always said we were from the "legitimate family," "the first family," the "legal family." So proud of that!

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: October 20, 2023 10:01PM

I was trying to count on my fingers the generations of Mormons. Then I realized we have non-Mormon polygamists more recently.

I'm the family secret keeper. Would you tell and have the Church descend on the other family?

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: October 20, 2023 10:46PM

Can you imagine the frenzy at the opportunity to bug new (and deceased) relatives?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.