Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 24, 2023 02:51PM

Here is a list of things that those of us who grew up Mormon in the 20th century knew well that “the brethren” probably wish would be forgotten. In some cases, there had been a concerted effort to gaslight. I’m sure that some of these items are unknown to many younger members.

The Book of Mormon being translated from the gold plates using the Urim and Thummim.

“Mormon.” It was called an honorable nickname by Gordo in GC. “I’m a Mormon” was a multi-million-dollar international PR campaign. “Meet the Mormons” was a motion picture with a wide theatrical release. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was TSCC’s primary ambassadors for well over a century. “I Am a Mormon Boy” was a primary song.

The Book of Abraham. Abraham is a central figure in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Discovering previously unknow writings from Abraham should have been one of the biggest stories in the history of religion, but…well, it’s still scripture, but I get the feeling that church leaders would be happy if it disappeared and nobody remembered it.

Blacks being denied not only the priesthood, but also ordnances necessary for exaltation. Sure, most members are aware that blacks were excluded, but they see it as just a policy that “went along with the times.” Church leaders actually explicitly said that it was not a mere policy, that it was doctrine and the will of the Lord.

Women covenanting to obey their husbands in the temple.

Pretending to slit your throat and cut open your guts in the temple.

The five points of fellowship.

Lamanites (at least in present tense).

The failed prophesies of Christ’s second coming, or even the constant claims that the “Lord’s return is nigh” (something can’t be “nigh” for nearly two centuries).

Polygamy being a requirement for exaltation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 24, 2023 02:56PM

I love that when a living
      Black servant was sealed
      to JoJu, the servant was
      not allowed to enter the
      temple; a White person
      had to sub in for her!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 24, 2023 03:15PM

I didn't know that. just...wow.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 24, 2023 06:20PM

Her name was Jane Elizabeth Manning James and either Emma or Joseph (there are different accounts) promised her she could be sealed into their family. The more uniformly racist BY forbade that but ultimately Joseph F. Smith agreed to let her be vicariously "adopted" into the Smith family as a perpetual "servant" in 1894.

Her endowments were done posthumously in 1979.

Date: October 24, 2023 03:20PM

Sort of like Life, its ownself...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 24, 2023 03:53PM

not only were Black males (ppl of African descent) denied the PH, but also black females couldn't go thru the temple (worthless for all, but still it was discriminatory)

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 25, 2023 09:36PM

I think this is an important aspect of the priesthood ban that’s sometimes overlooked. It wasn’t just that black men couldn’t have the priesthood, it’s that all black people were denied the saving ordinances of the temple. They could be baptized, but that was it. Before 1978, black people were only allowed to be partial members of the church.

Date: October 25, 2023 09:54PM

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: October 26, 2023 09:02AM

Ha! There was a mixed marriage family in the Ward I grew up in, and they were expected to pay 10% plus the significant Ward budget assessments back then (their daughters were my age, so I knew some of the details). I was thinking of ditching the church for this reason when the policy change was announced.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: October 26, 2023 08:54AM

As mentioned already, the death oaths in the temple ceremony (Note my user name). I was having lunch with my old Bishop, who was about my age but joined the church in his 30s, and I brought it up when he brought up unchanging doctrines. He did not believe me. So I said since it is out of the ceremony, it must not be sacred and then quietly pantomimed my death in for him different ways with the oaths.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.