Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 27, 2023 07:54PM

In a sermon titled “Preserving Liberty” at Christian Center Shreveport in 2016 Mike Johnson said, “And people say, ‘How can a young person go into their schoolhouse and open fire on their classmates?’ Because we’ve taught a whole generation, a couple generations now of Americans, that there’s no right or wrong, that it’s about survival of the fittest, and you evolve from the primordial slime. Why is that life of any sacred value? Because there’s nobody sacred to whom it’s owed. None of this should surprise us.”

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/GIqT4gMe

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/new-speaker-mike-johnson-blamed-school-shootings-on-the-teaching-of-evolution

So, back to the Dark Ages we go?
Things were so much more peaceful back then!
Nobody was walking into schools with AR15’s and killing everybody they could!
/s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2023 07:56PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 27, 2023 10:27PM

Date: October 28, 2023 01:47AM

What’s nuts is here we are in 2023
We use technology everyday to stop terrorists on the other side of the world but don’t employ it to stop every terrorist attack with drone swarms in perpetual flight with facial recognition software that can use artificial intelligence to triangulate gunshots and disable shooters after the first shot, or before, preferably.
And we don’t use it why?

Civil Rights

I’m good with giving up my right to carry weapons of war so my grandkids don’t have to live on fear of being mowed down by psycho killers exercising their right to bear arms.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 09:04AM

"Because we’ve taught a whole generation, a couple generations now of Americans, that there’s no right or wrong, that it’s about survival of the fittest, and you evolve from the primordial slime. Why is that life of any sacred value? Because there’s nobody sacred to whom it’s owed. None of this should surprise us.”

COMMENT: Although this statement uses religious terminology ("sacred"); and implies a God ("to whom it is owed"); and is highly rhetorical, it would be a mistake to assume that the moral nihilism implied by biological evolution, and most importantly the denial of free will (moral responsibility), will have no social effects. If high school and college students are dogmatically taught such 'doctrines' by teachers and professors who they respect, and who present such doctrines as hard science, and with an unequivocal "this is the way it is, get used to it" attitude, it indeed should be of no surprise that the moral commitments of such students will naturally be undermined.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-happens-to-a-society-that-does-not-believe-in-free-will/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 09:42AM

Pre-K to 12 teachers and school counselors teach right vs. wrong every working day. It starts with basic respect for the rights of others, including both children and adults. Of course, we can only reinforce what is also being taught in the home. When right vs. wrong is not being taught in the home, there is little that we can do about it.

I used to talk to teachers whose (grown) students had gotten into serious trouble. I always asked, "Did you see it coming?" And invariably, the answer has been yes. They see the dysfunction as early as elementary school.

And honestly, I doubt that many (if any) of the families of these troublemakers could explain the concept of evolution to anyone. It would be like asking them to explain string theory. They can't do it.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 10:58AM

"Pre-K to 12 teachers and school counselors teach right vs. wrong every working day."

COMMENT: Even if this is true, once such students get to a college-level Philosophy course, or a Psychology course, or a Biology course, with esteemed professors teaching that free will is an illusion, and that "right vs. wrong" is merely the product of evolutionary psychology --thus dismissing both moral agency and moral authority in the name of "science"-- what such students learned in grammar school or from their 'old-fashioned,' 'out-of-touch' parents, might well break-down. That is the point!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 11:15AM

“Donkey Kong and Pac-Man taught me all I needed to know about both science and morality!”

--Josef H. Stalin

Date: October 28, 2023 11:37AM

So you are saying that college students considering new ideas is somehow wrong? Isn't that the point of a college education? My college education taught me to critically evaluate everything -- that was my most valuable takeaway. Where did you go to school that you were taught otherwise?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 02:41PM

Then you should be teaching kids. Maybe they will be inoculated against indoctrination.

I think Henry is referring to the responsibility of institutions to stabilize society. It may be true that free will does not exist. Teaching that is incompatible with legal system. A certain amount of mythology is needed to keep society from sliding into anarchy.

I'm not sure all of this is a problem. Wisdom will come as these kids age and figure out they were force fed trendy BS.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 05:10PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Teaching that
> is incompatible with legal system.

Untrue. Determinism may be incompatible with a guilt-based legal system but it is not incompatible with a system that focuses on the protection of society and the individual.

Anglo-American law already recognizes that fact in the way it treats mental illness. A murderer who is insane is locked away for life not in a prison but in a mental hospital. Determinism merely implies that the latter is the preferable approach.

----------------------
> A certain
> amount of mythology is needed to keep society from
> sliding into anarchy.

I'm not unsympathetic to that view but it does not imply the need for a guilt-based legal system.

Date: October 28, 2023 07:07PM

>> Then you should be teaching kids. Maybe they will be inoculated against indoctrination.

As a teacher, I like to think that we reinforce societal values, i.e. treat others with respect, don't harm others, don't steal, be considerate, etc. But ultimately the family is the primary source of values. We cannot reinforce values if they are not already being taught in the home. When kids are being indoctrinated with views at home that are not pro-social, there is very little we can do about that. You just have to hope that eventually, and with a good education, the kids can find their own way.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 11:49AM

Right & Wrong are full of bullet holes in ChurchCo too, approving (my wife’s) greedy - deceitful divorce was an eye-opener for me, it couldn’t have been more obvious that they ignored their vaulted ‘Moral Compass’

This goes back to what Herr B. Young said that a saint could (should?} divorce a spouse for not being obedient.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 02:46PM

A pretty face and a wicked tongue can turn your life from gold to dung.

Hopefully Joseph gets her in the hereafter.

Date: October 28, 2023 01:33PM

"Strange a God who mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness, then invented hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none Himself; who frowns upon crimes yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon Himself; and finally with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship Him!"
~ MARK TWAIN

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.