Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 02:43PM

Is this video correct?

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR7cf4RB/

Cam the law church build housing and still keep their tax exemption status for being a charity? I need to dive deeper into this. Snarky me thinks anything is better than building more temples.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 28, 2023 03:20PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/s/zzxoosOgDh

The lds church as a Jesus mall "Cherry Creek" and now there will be Jesus housing.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 04:02PM

"City Creek"

Cherry Creek is in Denver. Mormons haven't a large presence there. Thank god.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 04:04PM

The church pays taxes on their business activities. However the question remains: Should the church be engaging in business activities?

Date: October 28, 2023 04:58PM

Thank you summer, good to know that they pay taxes on their business activities.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 07:15PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you summer, good to know that they pay taxes
> on their business activities.

Except maybe the businsses activities that are made to hide their money as the recent fines for lying about it show.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 05:35PM

They are practicing to be slumlords of the CK

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 05:59PM

"I'd rather live in a heavenly doghouse than a palace in hell."

--elderodddog, pet defective

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 07:58PM

The woman in the video was a master of attack by innuendo. She said several times that she didn’t know if the church would be paying property tax, but her tone of voice definitely implied that she didn’t think so. She then goes on about how unjust it is that they won’t be paying for schools, trash pickup yada yada.

She should have stopped at the first sentence. She didn’t know, and apparently made no effort to find out.

I know that business income is taxable, even if a church owns the business. For example, KSL pays taxes on its income and property. The Deseret Ranch by Orlando pays taxes. Back in the 1970s, it was the largest single taxpayer in three counties in Florida.

There is an exception for rental income. That is tax-free if churches own the land outright (no loan). I do not know if that would apply to apartment complexes that were rentals. I would think not, but somebody like 60 Minutes ought to look into it. Church income and property tax rules is its own little specialty in tax law, and I think this question is pretty deep in the weeds.

Date: October 28, 2023 10:03PM

"The Deseret Ranch by Orlando pays taxes. Back in the 1970s, it was the largest single taxpayer in three counties in Florida."

Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 11:51PM

I picked up that little tidbit when the Orlando Sentinel did a feature story on the ranch. They were talking about property tax. I don't know what their tax ranking is 50 years later, but I believe they are still the largest cattle operation in the US. It is a very serious enterprise.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 07:58PM

I (or rather my parents) paid rent to the church!

The old chapel in Cuautla, Morelos, was dedicated in 1928, supposedly by David O. McKay.  At the same time they built the chapel, they built a modest two-bedroom cottage next to it.  And that's where the four missionaries serving in Cuautla lived.

So the rent we paid was pure profit for the church.  And yes, we were charged rent, and the monthly bulletin that went out would list those who were behind in their rent.

I don't remember what we were charged (if we were...) for each month at the LTM...

Date: October 28, 2023 09:59PM

"And yes, we were charged rent, and the monthly bulletin that went out would list those who were behind in their rent."

The ward bulletin showed who was behind on their rent? Was that a topic at ward council? During ward council meeting would members be discussed who are behind in their rent?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 10:19PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The ward bulletin showed
> who was behind on their
> rent?  Was that a topic
> at ward council?  During
> ward council meeting would
> members be discussed who
> are behind in their rent?

No, it was the monthly Mission bulletin.  It was full of lies and misinformation!  ...like how many hours we tracted...

Date: October 29, 2023 12:10PM

Imagine that could be a new "service mission" for young and senior missionaries to go and collect unpaid rent from members. Back when I was an active member on some Fast Sundays the young man would show up at my door to collect fast offerings. My mind is going how can the lds church make money of their missionaries. Yes, if missionaries convert people those people will pay tithing towards the church but if a missionary doesn't convert anyone he or she didn't bring any money in. But what if the missionary could mow the lawn at the churches rental properties?

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: October 29, 2023 06:03PM

The church has a 32 story apartment building and other residential and mixed use property in Philadelphia around the temple. I doubt they pay taxes.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 29, 2023 11:03PM

Church’s can own for profit businesses but the businesses have to pay taxes. The only thing tax example is the church donations.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:32PM

The lds church has already a build to rent community in Utah.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR7Kb7Ty/

Why am I posting this? What would Jesus do?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 03:53PM

Landlord's what?

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 04, 2023 07:41PM

Excellent, cludgie. Thank you for that :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.