Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 12:12PM

I've been drinking lots of coffee and a fair amount of tea for the past 15 years—doing so more than any other member of my family. I kept wondering why I'm the only person in my family who hasn't gotten at least some degree of gout, which we are all genetically inclined to get.
I recently investigated coffee and found that coffee and tea actually have a pretty good track record of helping to prevent gout, and scientists explain several probable reasons for this.

I'd say the biggest drawback has been the possibility of insomnia. You really have to watch the time of day you drink the caffeine. But other than that, it seems like coffee and tea are generally full of good stuff, and have been studied A LOT to that end. The various studies project varying levels of validity and reliability, but overall they show coffee and tea to be generally pretty good for you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 12:18PM

I'm told that too much tea will give you a British accent so watch out.

Posted by: Mark Helluland ( )
Date: November 05, 2023 06:01AM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm told that too much tea will give you a British
> accent so watch out.

The Irish may not be happy to hear that.

Date: November 05, 2023 10:33AM

Is Ireland not part of the British Isles while not being part of the UK?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 08:17AM

What kind of tea should I drink to see Leprechauns?

Posted by: postmo ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 08:46PM

kentish Wrote:
> Is Ireland not part of the British Isles while not
> being part of the UK?

Very naive. Many Irish. don't even appreciate the term "British Isles". Some of them use "I.O.N.A." and other terms. Go to a working class area of Dublin and see how much the natives appreciate being called "British".

I was listening to a couple of Englishmen in a bar last Friday who didn't understand why the Irish continue to resent England. I find it amazing how little the English understand their neighbours in all directions. The only bit of Ireland that wants to be British is Northern Ireland, and the tide is turning there too.

Oh and FWIW, church leadership is pretty clueless about this whole question too.

Date: November 16, 2023 04:23PM

Plenty of English do not want to be thought of as European but it does not change what they are. The fact remains that the term British Isles includes Ireland, and a multitude of other islands, too. It is not an insult to Irish sensibilities nor is it meant to be, and it certainly does not imply any kind of subservience to the UK.

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 12:27PM

Lol, it might, but you might be surprised to learn that 2 other countries have a higher per-capita tea consumption rate than Britain. Turkey and Ireland drink more tea respectively. I think they say tea is a bit better for you than coffee, but I've got some English and Irish blood anyway, so no harm done there.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 04:05PM

When measuring the quantity of tea that Irish people drink, do they include or exclude the whiskey?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 01:39PM

I love my coffee...and occasionally tea. I don't make coffee every day. Not in the mood sometimes.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 02:05PM

It's always nice to have free coffee when having a team conference at work.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 03:32PM

I use a drip coffee maker and buy the red plastic containers of Folgers coffee grinds. I found out that coffee grinds will go stale after a while. Hence, buy the smaller containers.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 04:00PM

I drink 2-3 cups every morning, dark roast with half and half. If I have caffeine anytime after that, its harder for me to fall asleep. I don't get jittery if I don't have it either. Sometimes I make a pot and forget about for an hour or more. My wife definitely needs her coffee when she gets up.

I've been drinking a cup of green tea every morning at work too because I read it has health benefits, but I don't really enjoy tea much. Too thin and watery, and you have to drink 3 - 5 cups a day to get the benefit.

The first time I tried coffee was at a friends house when I was in 4th grade, so about 9 years old. I slept over at his house and his mom fixed a nice breakfast. She asked if I wanted coffee and I said yes. My friend and his sister were having it too. She put cream and sugar in it and I thought it was great. But I was scared shartless that my mom was going to show up to pick me up and I would be busted. She didn't so it all worked out for me.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 04:16PM

I love my morning coffee. period.

On another note...I met a man in person who I had first connected with online. We decided to meet for coffee at a local Starbucks.
That was on 11-9-2008. Next week, we will celebrate 15 years of being together.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 08:10PM

...and they haven't kicked you out!!!

Date: November 02, 2023 08:12PM

No kidding! Think how much forgone rent that adds up to.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 05:58PM

I love coffee, especially, and have imbibed it ever since I was in high school. I drink French Roast. Since I'm in my mid-60s, my 4:50 a.m. wake-up calls on workdays are often brutal, and coffee gives me the boost that can keep me going.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 05:59PM

A lot better than the Mormon Church treated me. And it's less expensive. Coffee gives me the burning in the bosom they never did.

Don Francisco's Kona Blend for weekdays. Two large mugs.

Nespresso double cappuccino for Sunday in the garden with the paper and the birds. Ask me if I miss priesthood meeting.

And--knock on wood--I am the only member of my extremely TBM family who can walk and not faint and run and not be weary. Not counting on that much longer at my age, but still . . .

Date: November 02, 2023 06:06PM

That double cappuccino sounds lovely. My standard daily order at a French bakery when I worked in NYC was "Café au lait et pain au chocolate, s'il vous plaît." Then I would sit at my desk at the window of my 57th Street workplace, and life would feel like it was worth living.

The TBMs have no idea.

Date: November 02, 2023 08:14PM

summer Wrote:
> Then I would sit at my desk at the
> window of my 57th Street workplace. . .

57th street office? I'd be having my coffee and pastry in the park!

Date: November 03, 2023 12:45PM

57th and 3rd, so a bit of a hike to the park. :)

Date: November 03, 2023 02:27PM

An invigorating jog, no?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 11:43PM

I went to NYC about a month ago and stayed about a week. I wish I was still there. There is something strangely comfortable about melting into the masses.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 11:37PM

I drink my coffee with no sugar so that my liver has more room for alcohol.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 03, 2023 02:19AM

I love coffee; especially Boyd’s and Starbucks. Our little $12.00 drip coffee maker is the best thing ever.

I enjoy it with 1/2 and 1/2 and sugar.

Earl Grey Tea is great too.

Posted by: sunstoned ( )
Date: November 03, 2023 03:25AM

Tea is my drink. Harney and Sons, Cinnamon spice. Two cups in the morning has replaced my 40oz Coke habit.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 03, 2023 04:42AM

Harney is great, I buy all my tea from them. I like the cinnamon but I have to use a dedicated infuser because it is so strong the taste lingers. You might like the Williamsburg Ginger Cake. I am enjoying it but it doesn't come loose. There are so many interesting ones to try but to date Tower of London and Queen Catherine are my two favorites. Valentine's Day is interesting, chocolate but not. Hard to explain. I have tried a few of the black fruit teas and so far Fruits d'Alsace is the front runner. There are so many that look good it is hard to pick even just from the black teas!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 03, 2023 05:11AM

I drink white and green teas. You get the health benefits without all the sugar and caffeine. Knowing what I know about nutrition there isn’t much in a Starbucks that’s good for you. It’s another junk food franchise.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 03, 2023 09:05AM

Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: November 05, 2023 02:28AM

I love my one cup of coffee every morning. Occasionally I throw caution to the wind and have a second but I don’t want to over do it and lose the magical effect that the one cup has :)

I’ll either have drip coffee (Folgers) with half and half, or a latte from my Nespresso machine. The latter was an indulgence to buy and was inspired by GayRM, my best friend in London, he used to post on RfM many years ago. He totally got me into Nespresso when we shared a flat together years ago.

Posted by: Mark Helluland ( )
Date: November 05, 2023 06:00AM

I still don't touch tea and coffee. I tried them for a while and they gave me bowel trouble.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 03:56PM

They keep me sane!! I love both tea and coffee. I start out the day with coffee, but have tea for my "elevenses".

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 09:17PM

I also love coffee with Bailey's Irish Creme. A guilty pleasure on a cold winter day.

Date: November 13, 2023 06:11AM

I'll have to try that on my next snow day.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: November 12, 2023 10:23PM

Black and bitter. The way God intended. Grind my beans every morning and brew with an aeropress. It is part of my morning ritual of self-care. Now, if I am flying I make airline coffee palatable with a shot of Baily’s.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 12, 2023 11:35PM

> Now, if I am flying I make
> airline coffee palatable
> with a shot of Baily’s.

We have some pilots who post here, including at least one airline pilot, and my first thought upon reading the above was, "Oh, shizz!"

Posted by: Coffee Saint ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 07:48AM

Drinking coffee right now.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 10:57AM

I think the top 15 drink copious amounts of hot drinks (tea and even coffee) in secrecy.

How else are they living well into their 80s and 90s?

It's not their adherence to their crummy WoW policy.

My dad and others followed that to the tee and barely lived into their 70s. Dumb Mormon diet of carbs, fats and sugars did its magic to shorten his lifespan.

My mom drinks coffee and teas (mostly herbal). She also shuns sugar and carbs. It's working for her.

I truly believe that they partake of coffee and teas (hot drinks).

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 18, 2023 01:10PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.