Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 04:39PM

I found this on a website about the number of children per Mormon household: "Fertility. In areas with a high concentration of Latter-day Saints such as Utah, household sizes and fertility rates have historically been above the national average. As of 2021, American church members have an average of 2.8 children per household by ages 35-45, as opposed to a US national average of 2.06."

Then, how in the Hades do I know so many Mormon parents, with zero education, zero job prospects, and educated parents with 5 and 6 kids?

Make it make sense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 04:59PM

I think you partially answered your question:

> how in the Hades do I know so
> many Mormon parents, with zero
> education, zero job prospects,
> ... with 5 and 6 kids?

Yes, the zero education is certainly a factor, but the word "Mormon" is more of a factor.

I had my oldest child while a junior at the Y because I got married as quickly as I could so I could have judgment-free sex.  And I was optimistic enough to accede to my temple bride's desire to bring forth issue because she thought it was the right thing to do.  

All those spirit children waiting to be born!  

TBMs believe that ghawd will provide.  It's pretty much that simple.  He wants you to have as many children as you're physically capable of having and he has promised, via the leaders of the church, that the faithful will be provided the means to raise said children.

I don't think the kids nowadays are buying it, and certainly not to the extent prior generations bought it.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 08:30PM

I posted this five years ago –

Q15 (in order of appointment) and number of children:

Nelson – 10
Oaks – 6
Ballard – 7
Holland – 3
Eyring – 6
Uchtdorf – 2
Bednar – 3
Cook – 3
Christofferson – 5
Andersen – 4
Rasband – 5
Stevenson – 4
Renlund – 1
Gong – 4
Soares – 3

(Most recent stiffs: Monson 3, Hales 2. No new stiffs in last five years.)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 06, 2023 11:26PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 08:03PM

My parents had 6. My oldest sibling had 1. My second sibling had 3. I had 2. My younger sister had 1. My youngest brother had 2.

My daughter who is TBM has not been able to carry a pregnancy yet. She keeps having miscarriages. Yet my sister's granddaughter is having a baby this month and isn't married and left her boyfriend. She is 23. None of my sister's kids and grandkids are mormon any longer (and my sister isn't).

So what is my daughter thinking when this happens? What did she do to deserve this? With religion it sets you up for feeling something like this is because you haven't been "good enough."

The people in church don't go easy on those who can't have a child. My daughter finally posted on her facebook to quit asking her about why she hasn't had a baby yet. I don't ask her. I know if she wants to talk about it with me, she will, and she does. She says she has to work through the pain before she wants to discuss it.

My so-called friends from my youth all have a lot of kids.

With mormon thinking they probably think since her parents and brother are heathens then it is our fault.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 07:15AM

My mom had a number of miscarriages before she had me. IIRC, she said that Vitamin K helped her to carry me. I think it was some sort of clotting issue. Hopefully your daughter's doctors will be able to figure out what's going wrong.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 10:07AM

You notice all the people with 5 or 6 kids because herds of kids are noticeable. Lack of a herd of kids, less so. You just don’t notice those with 2 or 1 or 0 kids.

On top of that, using the Q15 as a benchmark is badly skewed. These are people mostly in their 80s, who had their children in the 1950s and 1960s. Mormon birth rates were considerably higher then. How many couples in their late 20s today have 4 or 5 kids? I think not many.

I have three nieces/nephews, all in their 30s, all Utah County Mormons, two married, one divorced. They have three children between them. They could in theory have more, but I’d be surprised if they did.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.