Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 09:58AM

I haven't heard much about them recently. I was glad to see that Alaska was on the ball and stopped them. Has Alaska been talked about in any of their last day literature?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 10:47AM

I met a woman back in 2014 who bought into the "Obamacare is going to destroy America" nonsense and said she and her husband were moving to Alaska. Always wondered what happened to them.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 11:06AM

Sooooo, Alaska is in the United States, and Obama care is available there.

So to escape Obama care, she just moves to another state? Genius!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 11:05AM

Mostly it's wilderness- you know, far away from us sinners who actually are trying to work together to make the world a better place.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 04:52PM

When I think of Alaska, I think of Sarah Palin ... in a bikini.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 06:07PM

I would rather sit through one of those 3 hour Fast and Testimony meetings from my childhood versus that picture in my head.

Date: November 07, 2023 07:18PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 08:39PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I think of Alaska, I think of Sarah Palin ...in a bikini.

What's a bikini & what use are they???

Oh, I forgot- it's clothing that women wear when they want to dress/appear provocatively and appeal to men & boys.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2023 08:43PM by GNPE.

Date: November 07, 2023 08:47PM

apparently the liahona that the lost tribes have or had was in failure mode; No access to the internet.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 11:50PM

The Liahona knows whether you've been naughty or nice. Fortunately, my phone is agnostic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 07, 2023 07:21PM

Perhaps they were traveling to Alaska to meet up with the 12 Tribes hiding under the North Pole.

Date: November 07, 2023 07:24PM

I know you meant the 10 Tribes, who have all become Elves, toiling for ghawd and Santa Claus.

One wonders where the tribe of Manasseh is hiding...  Wherever it is, my first question is, do they have golf courses?

Date: November 07, 2023 07:33PM

Geez, you know I have trouble counting above ten without taking my shoes off.

Date: November 07, 2023 08:57PM

Lots of alaskans come South in the winter, they settle in Washington state but refuse to change to Washington license plates & driver's licenses (required after 30 days here).

In the summers, it's people from AZ & hot weather SW places, including some from Mexico, who come here, same refusal to license here / conform with Washington laws...

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 01:44AM

Are these people establishing WA citizenship? Registering to vote, WA driver licences, working for wages if not they got a good case as being visitors.

Neighbor is a Baptist minister that bought a house and kept California plates on his vehicles for over over five years.

When I moved in over 40 years ago, a state policeman lived across the street, we warned me to get ne plates, drivers license within 30 days. That was rough, auto licences, drivers license, first half prophet tax, auto and home insurance. Darn near went bankrupt.
Now days you see cars with expired tabs or no plates and the police can't pull them over to ticket then, thanks to our legislature and governor, no Chase without getting permission from higher authority.

Good luck with the out of staters that live here part of a year.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 05:13AM

On the east coast, it's rather common for retirees from New England and the Mid-Atlantic to retire to Florida. The rule is (I think) that for purposes of residency, they have to be in Florida, or their residency state, six months and one day (181 days.) The rest of the year they can go live wherever they wish, i.e. back to the state where they raised their families. I knew of a number of couples who timed this to the day every year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 11:05AM by summer.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 10:30AM

State residency requirements vary from state to state. Because of this, it is possible to find some nook or cranny in the various laws, where it is possible to be a legal resident of two states simultaneously, or not a legal resident of any state.

When I was teaching, I typically spent most of the summer in Utah. I never changed my DL or auto registration, nor did I have any legal responsibility to do so.

Oh, and people who do go to the trouble of fraudulently registering their vehicle in a state where they don’t reside, insurance companies love that. Fraud gives them an out on having to pay a claim. It’s sort of like kids in Utah who get married, but never get their own health insurance and stay on their parents’ policies, and then file a pregnancy claim. This happens more than you might think. The insurance companies check for marriage records, and reject such claims.

Date: November 08, 2023 10:49AM

Why - what purpose would the IRS have a residency rule?

Washington has very high vehicle fees & taxes, people who live (move) here avoid rendering to vote especially Alaskans to receive the permanent fund payment.

It's DISHONEST and a slap in the face to honest motorists here, New Washington residents have a 30 day 'grace period', but if a Washington resident brings a vehicle in from out-of-state, no grace period.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 11:05AM

You are right. It may be the rule of certain states for residency purposes, i.e. New York or Connecticut. But I do know that there are a lot of retirees who follow that rule.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 04:09PM

https://dor.wa.gov/contact/washington-state-residency-definition

Persons are considered residents of this state for sales and use tax purposes if they take actions which indicate that they intend to live in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. A person may be considered a resident of this state even though the person is a resident of another state.

The Department of Revenue presumes that a person is a resident of this state if he or she does any of the following:

- Maintains a residence in Washington for personal use;
- Lives in a motor home or vessel which is not permanently attached to any property if the person previously lived in this state and does not have a permanent residence in any other state;
- Is registered to vote in this state;
- Receives benefits under one of Washington's public assistance programs;
- Has a state professional or business license in this state;
- Is attending school in this state and paying tuition as a Washington resident or is a custodial parent with a child attending a public school in this state;
- Uses a Washington address for federal or state taxes;
- Has a Washington State driver's license; or
- Claims Washington as a residence for obtaining a hunting or fishing license, eligibility to hold public office or for judicial actions.

How many of the Alakans and Arizonans meet these criteria?

Date: November 08, 2023 04:33PM

... maintains a residence...

Most people operating a business or occupation in Washington are required to register regardless of where the individual workers reside, that's a separate provision found in the WAC (Washington Administrative Code) but difficult to enforce bc workers commute from Oregon, Idaho, sometimes even British Columbia.

These businesses have cheaper licensing & often evade Washington's Business & Occupation rules & taxes.

With no income tax in / reported by Washington, an Oregon and/or Idaho resident can escape paying those taxes 'at home'.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 11:22PM

>With no income tax in / reported by Washington, an Oregon and/or Idaho resident can escape paying those taxes 'at home'.

Only at significant legal risk.

Employers in Washington must still withhold federal taxes and report incomes to the IRS. The IRS and state taxing agencies share information.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 02:04AM

Thing that my daughter hates about Alaska is you never get much sun even in the summer. They go for months with rain every day in April, May, June and even July. She likes the fall. They come home towards the end of September, so they miss out on a lot of it, but not a lot of civilization up there above Anchorage and I'm sure other places off the beaten path.

I hope to be able to go spend a summer up there with her in the next year or two. Get out of here and spend time with my daughter for a change. She is in Tennessee right now. They drove their motor home from Fairbanks to Tennessee and stopped along the way. Not sure when they are headed home. I don't ask. My daughter tells me things when she decides to.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 01:48PM

They are headed to Wasilla to get illegal drugs.

Date: November 08, 2023 05:31PM

You get a discount if you're wearing a bikini !!

Date: November 08, 2023 05:47PM

--as long as you're a legal resident and pay Alaska's full income tax rate.

Date: November 08, 2023 08:32PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> --as long as you're a legal resident and pay
> Alaska's full income tax rate.

Alaska doesn't have a personal income tax.

I though U would have researched that as I did, it took about 15 seconds...

with their permanent fund benefit, they actually get more cash than they pay otherwise.

Date: November 08, 2023 08:43PM

> Alaska doesn't have a personal income tax.

Uh, yeah. That was the joke. It's also why I specified income tax as opposed to taxes in general.

------------
> I though U would have researched that as I did, it
> took about 15 seconds...

You needed to look it up?

------------
> with their permanent fund benefit, they actually
> get more cash than they pay otherwise.

Yep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 08:43PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: gnpe1 ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 09:02PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > Alaska doesn't have a personal income tax.

> You needed to look it up?

since I've never been employed in Alaska, I haven't had a need to know that as a fact,

however, I opted to verify what my offhand information was.

btw, I doubt if anyone (certainly not myself) took your stmnt as a joke

Date: November 08, 2023 09:29PM

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: November 09, 2023 02:14AM

Definitely a joke.

How others interpret statements posted here is not your call to make.

Date: November 09, 2023 07:01AM

Roughly 2/3 of U.S. residents live in the Eastern states , does anyone 'think' they're familiar with Alaskan tax laws?

Washington state honest motorists are being abused by dishonest motorists, that's no joke when they (honest citizens - motorists) are being taken advantage of by dishonest people...

or, is honesty a joke here like it is to ChurchCo?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 07:54PM

I was going to mention Wasilla was somewhere between the wide open spaces and Anchorage.

I thought they got their drugs in Talkeetna. I'm sure my daughter knows where to get them, but she definitely doesn't use them, but then again, since she and her husband are so far away from Utah, who knows!!! I'm sure she doesn't.

My son refuses to go to stay the summer and work for Princess since the wifi isn't so great up there, although he'd love the drugs.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 08, 2023 06:50PM

I used to know these people very well. I don't what to think. The thing of some well educated Mormons going off the deep end like this just can't possibly make sense.

Date: November 09, 2023 07:24PM

a few newbies to AK change their minds & return south about the time the first winter takes hold.

In Carnation, some folks went to WY in hopes of a better economic situation, they returned rather soon.

Date: November 09, 2023 10:10PM

IMO, Mormons often view being nomadic as opportunities for better lifestyles And as opportunities to 'spread the gospel'

Seattle & the PNW have experienced waves of Mormons to work at Boeing and later high-tech companies such as Microsoft. PNW had a 'golden' reputation among missionaries after the Korean 'conflict' ended.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.