Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 10:02AM

Condolences to his family.

As a church leader, he was a prime jerk. Bednar is secretly thrilled with Ballard's passing because he's one person closer to leading the church.

Forgot to add that his passing comes at the right time to clear up the Ballard - Ballard (Tim) scandal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2023 10:03AM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 10:03AM

"After a recent brief hospital stay, he returned to his home where he attended to duties as he was able to before passing away at approximately 11:15 p.m. on Sunday, November 12, 2023"

That's what I call a work ethic. Stay on the job until you drop dead.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 11:52AM

Exactly. I found that statement to be truly saddening.

I used to buy into how great it was to be "serving the Lord" (aka working free for the cult) all through your golden years and dying without ever taking a break from church work. I used to think that would show God dedication. Now it feels wrong, like working a horse to death and never encouraging it to roam free in a field with no bridal controlling its every move.

If that kind of thing impresses God, all I can say is no thanks.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 12:16PM

So true.

When you really think about it all from a truly rational point of view.

Why would a creator of the Universe who put all things into proper order be so hung up on things like petty praising, paying a full tithe, finding lost keys, or other nonsensical events or practices that have no value.

It is ridiculous on so many levels.

Date: November 13, 2023 10:15AM

"We worked together closely, and I always loved his warm manner,” said President Dallin H. Oaks

I suppose rattle snakes (and other cold hearted people) would take notice of other snakes.

Elder Ballard called out my mission in a special SLC missionary broadcast. We were scolded, rebuked and given a tongue lashing for being reckless with "sacred" missionary funds (which came out of tithing).

30 some years later, I'm wondering what my supplemental missionary payment was for if it didn't pay for mission related costs.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 10:23AM

Uncanny timing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2023 10:23AM by Twinker.

Date: November 13, 2023 11:35AM

Yes, very.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 12:32PM

Yea verily.

Date: November 13, 2023 01:45PM

But still a little ray of sunshine.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 10:46AM

There's an ugly rumor going around that everyone dies sooner or later...

Groucho Marx (or was it Mark Twain ?) said (paraphrase)-

' I don't mind going to funerals as long as it isn't mine'

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 10:49AM

Looks like I will be going to the funeral.

Oh wait, there's a two hour Gilligan's Island special on at the same time, where they almost get rescued.

What to do, what to do, , ,

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 11:01AM

Now that Timmy Ballard has been exed by LDS Inc, and had his planned run for governor thrown under the bus, and backed over three or four times, I wonder if he is thinking of returning the favor by throwing M Russell under the bus re allegations of giving Tim access to tithing records?

Date: November 13, 2023 11:28AM

Today, free doughnuts are being offered at Krispy Kreme locations. No purchase required and no lipstick required.

Ballard's request for young women to wear lipstick.

https://youtu.be/H2RwhDZvFow?t=40

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 11:30AM

If there is an afterlife, perhaps he is now finding out what liars, womanizers, and all-around horrendous human beings his ancestors were (Joseph and Hiram Smith, etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2023 02:17PM by summer.

Posted by: flea ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 11:43AM

M "HUSTLE" Ballard had a long life of bamboozling innocent people and fined by the SEC in 1962 losing his license in penny stock manipulation. This guy was a total charlatan. He's got the nepotism going for him as well. Never liked him or really any of these so called "apostles"!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 05:03PM

He was just another con artist. His ancestors would be so proud of him.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 04:11AM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 01:12PM

From the article:

“President Ballard was never indecisive,” Church President Russell M. Nelson said. “He knew exactly what the Lord taught and how it could be applied in one’s personal life and bring joy and happiness.”

I neither felt nor observed "joy and happiness" during my ill-fated Mo church interlude.

Can't imagine spending an entire lifetime inside Mormonism experiencing nothing but busy work and boredom.

After hearing from friends and missionaries about how special and inspiring the church is, giving it a try and not enjoying the experience (understatement) it reminded me of the (very) old song Is That All There is. That query has always been my foremost lasting impression of Mormonism.

Abundant promises. Zero fulfillment.

Here's Ms. Peggy Lee expertly asking that question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRZZC-DH7M

One line in the song: If that's all there is then let's break out the booze and have a ball.

Haha. No kidding.

Here's a later version of the song by Sandra Bernhard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkmTJNWQaYE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2023 01:15PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 01:49PM

So some respect should be shown to the man.

Date: November 13, 2023 02:36PM

If he was mentally with it to be "attending to duties," I'm wondering if he was mentally capable of being called as a witness if that Tim thing ended up in court.

Leave it to him to time his death as a duty so he can't cause any more damage by talking about his possible involvement. Now that's devotion!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 03:03PM

Russell M Ballard was a family friend. He had sort of an abrasive personality and yes he had a work ethic. He thought like a salesman. He was always looking for opportunities.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 03:15PM

And, if I recall correctly, he led the charge to excommunicate Kate Kelly and others. He was a vile human being.

Date: November 13, 2023 03:40PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And, if I recall correctly, he led the charge to
> excommunicate Kate Kelly and others. He was a
> vile human being.

At least not on the scale of Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Stalin, Kim Jong Un (and all their predecessors).

Next is impaired (Drunk & Drugged) drivers, Murderers, the likes of Leona Helmsley, Bernie Madoff, etc.

I won't mention living con artists in the U.S., that would be 'wrong'

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 03:51PM

> At least not on the scale of Pol Pot, Idi Amin,
> Stalin, Kim Jong Un (and all their predecessors).

True.

----------
> Next is impaired (Drunk & Drugged) drivers,
> Murderers, the likes of Leona Helmsley, Bernie
> Madoff, etc.

There I disagree. Not only did Ballard participate for decades in a pyramid scheme, he also taught doctrines that destroyed families and drove gay and other people to suicide. That makes him worse than intoxicated drivers and arguably on the same plane as murderers.

We shouldn't whitewash criminals and their crimes just because they conduct their confidence games and power plays from behind computer screens or from red velvet chairs that match their power ties.

Date: November 13, 2023 09:40PM

OK, but he wasn't armed with a firearm, a knife, or brass knuckles!

I doubt if he Directly caused a death like a few of the others I mentioned.

Maybe we need to add a new category:

we have blue-collar crime, white-collar crime, and candidates for a new category,

clerical crimes. I can think of a few nominees without blinking!!

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 11:08PM

How much, if any, of the stress of the Ballard/Ballard saga do you think contributed to M. Russell's death?

Date: November 14, 2023 12:35AM

I also wondered if that might be a factor.

Posted by: ciena ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 04:17AM

Help Needed:
One self-righteous, priesthood-holding TBM male to fill a vacant spot in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Must be humble and have proof of same humility. We need another special witness to carry on the tradition of "too sacred to tell".
Current Temple recommend required; RM preferred.
Experience: At least 50 years in high-level church positions, including bishop and stake-president.
Must be able to produce faith-promoting stories right on the spot; tears on the spot is even better!
Don't bother submitting your resume. We have already received it by revelation and will be calling you shortly if we feel you qualify for the position.

Feel free, however, to submit any brown-nosing, ass-kissing documents you wish, as these will greatly increase your chances of being selected.
If you are wealthy we will put your resume on the top of the pile.

This position has no competitive pay but the benefits are awesome and include: instant celebrity status, license to lie, everything you say is God's will (even the lies), zero liability for anything you say (after all, you're just a man, right?), you can sign your own temple recommend, someone to write your inspired conference talks for you, billions of dollars in church assets to do whatever you want with, and a very generous living allowance (don't worry, because it's not acutally a paycheck, you don't have to pay your 10%).
Apply immediately if you have no problem deceiving millions of people,

Date: November 14, 2023 10:53AM

LOL. Good one!

Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: November 16, 2023 03:33PM

What really made me want to barf was the owner of Ivory Homes (Ellis Ivory I think) on TV talking about what great guy old Mel was. The chruch is fully LDS Inc., when the main guy they interview is some rich a-hole that used the chruch for personal gain and they are glad about it.

Date: November 17, 2023 12:18AM

Ive noticed that assholes are over-represented in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and First Presidency. Does anyone know how this happened? Was it bad bylaws, cronyism, or just Old Scratch doing his thing?

Date: November 17, 2023 12:49AM

If it’s on the internet, IT HAS TO BE TRUE!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.