Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 06:12PM

These images are from the Washington National Cathedral in our nation's capital.

Stained glass windows celebrating the civil rights movement and social justice:

https://cathedral.org/discover/programs/racial-social-justice/windows/

The clergy team:

https://cathedral.org/worship/clergy-worship-team/meet-our-clergy/

Much of the Christian world has moved forward, while Mormonism stays mired in the past.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 06:59PM

The National Cathedral is stunning. Reminds me of the great cathedrals in Europe. I could tour those for days just to look at the stained glass.

Date: November 13, 2023 07:19PM

I agree, it's a stunner -- one of many, many reasons to come visit Washington, D.C.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 13, 2023 09:48PM

Let's sponsor a contest for the world's MOST BORING religious experience/location...

Posted by: Coffee Saint ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 07:46AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's sponsor a contest for the world's MOST
> BORING religious experience/location...

My vote would be Quaker Meeting Houses. Many of them are just a room with blank walls and cheap seating. There is nothing exciting about the architecture at all. The members sit in silence. Sometimes this happens all meeting. More commonly the same bore(s) get(s) up and start(s) yapping away. It's a bit like testimony meeting on steroids.

Posted by: Coffee Saint ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 07:43AM

Can you define what you mean by "civil rights" please?

I would define it as including freedom of movement, of association, of expression and of belief. How would you define it?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 09:17AM

A large part of it ( I was there, in the sixties) is the right to actually be able to vote. Bigots rabbit on endlessly about "states' rights". What they leave unspoken is the fact that they do everything in their power- up to and including outright murder- to make sure that nobody but the people they like actually are allowed to be part of the election process. The list is by definition endless, because stopping free and fair elections is their whole life's goal. Non-violent examples include gerrymandering, poll taxes, and shutting down polling stations. If that doesn't work they are quite eager to resort to bombings, school shootings and lynching. Then they gleefully point out that the voters in their state are unanimous on whatever issue is on the table. And they are correct: all the people who cast votes do agree on that issue. Then they get to play the victim and everybody feels sorry for them.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 04:33PM

Interesting.

Yet again, you're redefining terms with established meanings. If you want to know the standard definitions, you can look them up as easily as anyone else.

Date: November 14, 2023 04:42PM

It's the term "civil rights" as is taught in every elementary school in America. Were you absent the day it was taught?

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 04:37PM

Me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.