Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 09:51PM

I had my regularly scheduled Friday online video cocktail with my BFF from Vancouver Island. Tonight I enjoyed a wee dram. Warmed my soul..as did the conversation. Have a good weekend folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2023 09:52PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 10:09PM

Same old--wait, I drink Diet Pepsi now instead of Diet Coke.

Oh, that just reminded me that my brother didn't call. He calls every few Fridays while he is drinking on Friday evenings after work. He's my youngest brother and we are very close. I took care of him a lot as our brother just older than him had disabilities from birth and had many accidents, so we did things together and we are a lot alike and a lot different than the other siblings. He is 11 years younger than I am.

So I may not drink on Friday nights, but I share the evening quite often with one of the most significant people in my entire life.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 18, 2023 12:48AM

Me too with the pop - still diet Coke for me - just a bad habit I picked up from my brother.

I don't even know why I drink pop in the first place - I know it's hellishly unhealthy. And the 'diet' part is a total joke. The sugar substitutes are even more unhealthy than actual sugar.

I know this but still I keep on doing it. For no good reason.

It's just that as I'm usually the one doing all the driving I got into the habit of not guzzling alcohol any more.

So you have to have one bad habit, right? I am intending to switch to sparkling water. Soon. I will. Yes. It's just so unexciting though. Maybe if I pop in a few ice cubes for a bit of extra sass?

PS: Hello over there, LR. Have you heard about the spectacular Fall weather we're enjoying here in B.C.? It's the sunniest, warmest November I ever remember. Absolutely fabulous. The leaves have hardly even started to turn yet. They don't know it's past time. The sunshine is confusing everything. But we're not complaining. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2023 12:50AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 18, 2023 09:35PM

Hey Nightingale! Yes...fabulous November weather here too. Fired up my muscle car and cruised into town this afternoon. Might not get many more days like this before she goes into the garage for her winter rest.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 18, 2023 10:13PM

You might want to check this out NG.

https://drinkmate-canada.com/

I really like club soda and it is good for you. I like to put a bit of fruit in it too, what ever I have at hand. I got tired of hauling, storing and returning the bottles so I got one of these. It is better than the other brand because you can do juice too. They say you can do booze but I have never tried that. I have had it for 3-4 years and love it. The bottles are a nice size and fit in the door of the fridge :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2023 10:16PM

when I started working at the hospital doing the transcription when my twins were 9 months old. I dropped them off to my husband who worked there and then I'd work until I got the work done and since I was new, it sometimes ended up at 2 a.m. and so I started drinking diet coke.

I've quit a few times, but when my daughter bailed on her wedding 8 years ago (I had quit drinking it so my skin would look better for the wedding!) and I decided I'd never quit again.

It gets me through the typing for some reason.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 10:13PM

Went to the Dog Park.
And laughed at all the pups playing
Just had a nice dinner of homemade Chile Relanos
Watching Real Time and reading a good book.
“Waking Up” Sam Harris

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 11:17PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
---------------------------

> Just had a nice dinner of
> homemade Chile Relanos

...I've been disrespected...

How'd you like it if I said I spent the afternoon wale washing?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 11:44PM

If you want to wash whales, knock yourself out!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 18, 2023 12:10AM

I want to see him stretch his hands out to his side while standing on one foot (his choice), close his eyes, then touch the tip of his nose with each index finger.
(Middle finger = flunking the test)

I spent Friday showing apartments to students who can't afford them, but will take out more debt anyway. A major university has been over-accepting and the kids are desperate!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 18, 2023 10:21PM

I'll see your dram and raise you a milliliter.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 03:50AM

Southern Comfort eggnog with rhumatis medicine.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 11:21AM

My Friday libation was tap water with ice. Old school.

As for Nightingale's concern about the unhealthiness of diet sodas, relax. Of course, if you were really all that worried, you would have already quit.

Aspartame, aka Nutrasweet, is made from two amino acids derived from egg white. You can look up the names of the amino acids, not that you will have ever heard of them. They can't be heated for the same reason you can't heat other proteins unless you want them to coagulate. Think egg white. Once you heat it it coagulates, and you can't uncoagulate it.

Surprisingly, NutraSweet has the same number of calories per gram as sugar or HFCS. It just takes much less NutraSweet to sweeten a drink than it takes for sugars. And no, it doesn't taste very much like sugar, but you can get used to it and eventually it will taste normal and the sugary version tastes weird.

It's an egg white derivative, and there is not much of it in a can of soda in any case. Unless you drink it in massive quantities (not a good idea, even for water), stop worrying. Its worst effect is the expense. Second worse is the carbon footprint of delivering a liquid by truck, which is orders of magnitude more carbon than it takes to deliver water by water main.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 20, 2023 12:48PM

Got this from a friend... might fit in with the Friday topic.

A glass of wine

To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine
and those who don't and are always
seen with a bottle of water in their hand:

As Ben Franklin said:

In wine there is wisdom,
In beer there is freedom,
In water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials,
scientists have demonstrated that if we drink
1 litre of water each day,
at the end of the year we would have absorbed
more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. Coli) - bacteria
found in faeces.
In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop annually.

However,
We do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer
(or rum, whiskey or other liquor)
because alcohol has to go through a purification process
of boiling, filtering and fermenting.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health
Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid,
than to drink water and be full of Shit.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information:
I'm doing it as a public service

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.