Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 08:42AM

in the US edition of the onkine Daily Mail todsy. The Mail claims a cover-up of Catholic Church proportions. Strong language even by the Mail's sensational standard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 01:18PM

The endless endless talk of "high standards".

The reality.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 10:22AM

The article whose direct link is supplied by Summer, is long and excellent. If more articles like this showed up in the U.S. mainstream press, then the Arizona ruling might ultimately become an exception, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints may finally face what the Roman Catholic church is legally facing now in regard to this issue.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 12:28PM

Bishops get zero training. Some guy in the congregation gets called to be one and just because he holds the tittle of bishop members expect him to be more knowledgable and competent than he is.

Never involve the bishop in a criminal matter. If a crime has been committed, it doesn’t matter if the person is a member or not. Go to the authorities.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 20, 2023 10:37AM

> Bishops get zero training

No. Bishops believe they are above the law. We need to stop mollycoddling the system. IMO.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 20, 2023 10:42AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never involve the bishop in a criminal matter. If
> a crime has been committed, it doesn’t matter if
> the person is a member or not. Go to the
> authorities.

^^^ this ^^^

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 12:40PM

I agree with what others in this thread have said.
Especially if you are abused by someone in an organization, go to the civil Authorities (like the police), not to a leader in the organization. Organizations tend to need to protect the organization and often choose to silence the victim.

The article in the Daily Mail is a good, detailed article. Well worth reading. I hope it makes a difference.

They provide a way for those who have experienced abuse to add their voices to help change the Mormon dictatorship.
Here's the person to contact:
Have you experienced abuse within the Mormon church? Contact miles.dilworth@mailonline.com

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 09:07PM

could know about these things or be one of the victims and then still believe.

This is just so tragic and it should be broadcast far and wide, but the mormons have gotten away with so much for so long. It is a very sick organization.

Oh, my sister's 3 little kids (back in 1983 or so) were molested by the babysitters. Some kids who lived next door were her babysitters. I can't remember how she found out, but she went to the bishop and he told her to let him take care of this. Nothing was ever done. I'm surprised she only finally left the church in the last year or so. Her kids left in their teens or would have earlier if she hadn't made them go to church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2023 11:15PM by cl2.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 09:30PM

>she only finally left the church in the last year or so.

I'll bet she is glad not to have to make excuses for the church anymore

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 19, 2023 11:21PM

her feelings towards the church for a long time. COVID was one of the big reasons as she got a chance to stand back from the church and reassess the things that were happening in her ward for one, but everything. All the leaders were involved with the women leaders, SP, bishop, etc., and one happened to be our cousin's daughter. BUT the RS president was more concerned about if she got her "VT" done and wasn't kind about it.

Also, the book Educated had a big influence. She said after reading that she was done.

She was inactive for a while, but her husband wanted her to go back, so she did.

I tend to believe that a lot of the victims try not to think about it. I can't imagine dealing with what happened to you and then dealing with the fact it was your religion who victimized you more, and then to have others find out what had happened.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 20, 2023 12:12AM

That book looks very interesting. She had quite a time of things.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 20, 2023 12:18AM

I was picking up another book at the library on Saturday, and I saw "Educated" on the bookshelf. I would like to read it at some point.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 20, 2023 12:27AM

Read, return and report!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 20, 2023 12:41AM

It's a very moving book that, for some of us, may strike close to home.

Absolutely worth reading.

Posted by: LL ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 01:27PM

I read the little blurb next to it in the Catalog, and I got shivers. Maybe I'll get this book instead of Romney's book.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 06:01AM

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 06:06AM

Posted by: LL ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 10:44AM

It's horrific. I thought the LDS Church was bad before, my view of it now is even worse. Where are the civic duties of clergy?

Talking to a bishop is like talking to a brick wall. It makes concerted effort to get through to them. I mean, don't they care??? Man, I hope they are set straight by the police for keeping it a secret.

How could a person live with themselves after hearing that in a bishops office!?!?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.