Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 12:47PM

I was at a daughter's mother-in-law's T-Day dinner table, enjoying decent company and a fine meal, to which I had contributed my version of that Mexican treat, Miami Yammie sweet potato casserole.

Of those present, three were brand new acquaintances ... who had moved from Lancaster, CA, to MERIDIAN, Idaho about ten years ago.

These Idaho residents were introduced to me as my daughter's brother-in-law, and because this BIC daughter was the one I raised, totally out of the church, they had no idea of either my mormon or my exmormon history.

At a point later in the evening, with the Meridianite I questioned three beers into the wind, I asked him if he'd ever heard of Ammon Bundy.  Well, indeed, he had!

"Hell of a nice guy, and they're really f'ing with him!  Do you know that those chicken sh-t police waited until he was at his son's football game there in Meridian to arrest him?  And they made it seem like it was some kinda dangerous situation, which makes no sense because they did it in front of what they probably figured was the biggest crowd that'd likely see it go down!  I like the guy, and they are totally screwing him over!"

Later on in the conversation, he commented on how the FBI had brutally murdered one of Ammon's friends after the Oregon wildlife station event...

Then he capped off the evening (in my estimation) by declaring that "Dr. Fauci ought to be executed for committing mass murder!"  

What I puzzled out of that sentiment was that he, the Meridian resident, has had COVID-19 twice, and it's no big deal; it's the vaccination that has been proven to be the killer!  So Dr. Fauci's promotion of this killing device is worse than what Hitler did!

But later Saint Brock Purdy benevolently guided his disciples to a win, so I was able to leave my dismay behind and overall it was a nice evening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 02:03PM

We stayed home, just those few of us hanging around, and had Costco dinner. It wasn't all that good. Though others thought it was better than I did.

And luckily if I did eat with the family, they're all inactive except my disabled brother. Now, he always adds a little entertainment for dinner, but we all ate separately. Many of us don't like each other much as it is. And I wasn't going to eat with any of my "in-laws."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 02:03PM

> What I puzzled out of that sentiment was that he,
> the Meridian resident, has had COVID-19 twice, and
> it's no big deal; it's the vaccination that has
> been proven to be the killer!  So Dr. Fauci's
> promotion of this killing device is worse than
> what Hitler did!

One of our former posters said virtually the same thing. COVID sucked but he survived it, so Fauci's vaccinations were responsible for vast unnecessary suffering and death.

The logic continues to escape me.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 02:55PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > What I puzzled out of that sentiment was that
> he,
> > the Meridian resident, has had COVID-19 twice,
> and
> > it's no big deal; it's the vaccination that has
> > been proven to be the killer!  So Dr. Fauci's
> > promotion of this killing device is worse than
> > what Hitler did!
>
> One of our former posters said virtually the same
> thing. COVID sucked but he survived it, so
> Fauci's vaccinations were responsible for vast
> unnecessary suffering and death.
>
> The logic continues to escape me.

The "logic" is that since I survived COVID-19 without vaccination, everyone else will, too. It's obviously a very selfish and narsarcistic point of view, but in my little corner of the world...

Date: November 24, 2023 02:57PM

> It's
> obviously a very selfish and narsarcistic point of
> view. . .

Exactly. It's devoid of empathy.

Date: November 24, 2023 10:09PM

The thing is, these people with little or no empathy for others have been around for a long time, perhaps from since when human beings evolved from the apes. It's only now, however, with the development of social media sites that we are seeing how prevalent among some that lack of empathy is.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 12:00AM

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 02:08PM

My conversations with family and many old friends are usually pretty short these days. Hardly anything in common.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 12:45PM

I'm the same way. We have a rule when visiting old friends out of town, do not go to their house. It starts out nice, then a tour of their house (boring) including new renovations and then after they get comfortable, out come the politics. We always meet at Starbucks or a restaurant, people behave better in a neutral environment.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 02:21PM

God knows what he did.

This is why Heavenly Father gave everyone their own kitchen so they could cook at home and avoid His big failure creations.

How "overall it was a nice evening" after that I can't imagine. Not that easy going, me.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 02:37PM

In-laws of my kids live there. Meridian is a definite hot bed of born again Xtians of the more extreme type (yes, I know kentish doesn't agree). These in-laws have the same views and are quite pushy about it everywhere they go. N. Idaho is bad enough, but it's not just N. Idaho. They attract even more just like them from the more expensive less extreme states. It's getting close to impossible to hope Idaho can become more centrist anytime soon.

The funny part is that they don't appear to think much of Mormons. Mormons are thick in SE Idaho but tend to not make a spectacle of themselves E and North.

But to the important part of your report, what is in your Miami yams that is not in other sweet potato casseroles?

Date: November 24, 2023 03:01PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------
>
> But to the important part of
> your report, what is in your
> Miami yams that is not in
> other sweet potato casseroles?

...My heart, my soul...!!!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 03:13PM

Ugggh. I'm not fond of the gizzards being added to things.

Date: November 24, 2023 03:17PM

Date: November 24, 2023 03:30PM

> Ugggh. I'm not fond of the gizzards being added to
> things.

That's some summer-level sarcasm there, dagny.

Date: November 24, 2023 04:45PM

Thank goodness, and the Elves of Golf, that I am able to maintain Judic West-like dignity!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 10:10PM

Thank heavens I live in Nampa.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 05:44PM

I can't help but think that some people live pretty good lives and don't have enough to worry about. They're bored. So they look for something to take an interst in. Some people do this thoughtfully. Some people do it stupidly, and that's how Bundy becomes a hero.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 09:55PM

"he, the Meridian resident, has had COVID-19 twice, and it's no big deal; it's the vaccination that has been proven to be the killer!"

Was he breathing on you at the time?

Date: November 24, 2023 10:54PM

I got my third Covid-19 booster two weeks okay, so I’m a walking deadman anyway…

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 11:17PM

Ah, yes, the vaccination has "proven" to be the killer. Meanwhile, the US stands nearly alone among industrialized countries in having the death toll from Covid go up in 2021 versus 2020, and it wasn't because of our embrace of vaccinations.

Meanwhile, the number of countries that have pulled approval of the vaccines when they discovered that they were killing people by the millions - zero.

And all those athletes that were dropping dead for unknown reasons after getting vaccinated turns out to be the same as the number of athletes that dropped dead for unknown reasons before Covid.

And the folks that developed the mRNA vaccines won the Nobel prize for medicine this year.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 12:25AM

Well said.

I concur. Absolutely.

Too many people suddenly thought/think they are qualified to give medical advice, to others as well as themselves, when they are not.

They are mistaken. If they're very lucky they escape relatively unscathed from their own bad judgement.

There's a reason they build medical schools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2023 12:32AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 02:59PM

"There's a reason they build medical schools."

Show me a medical school that teaches the laying on of hands.

God has been taken out of Medicine. God has been taken out of Psychology. Both cases are tantamount to malpractice.

Medicine is the new mafia. But don't worry, the don never lies.

Date: November 25, 2023 03:09PM

> Show me a medical school that
> teaches the laying on of hands.

Cleveland Chiropractic College

...you're welcome.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 02:23PM

Have you looked at the warning label on aspirin, I would be afraid, very afraid.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/203697Orig1s000lbl.pdf

Date: November 25, 2023 11:20PM

...if you take the wrong dosage or at the wrong times. In addition, there are many human beings who have alergic reactions to one or another chemicals used in individual medicines. It turns out that both physically and mentally, we are identical, but not exact, replicas of each other. Determining which medicines are *most* likely to alleviate both symptoms and causes of diseases is therefore best left to physicians who know the medicines and (hopefully) us. Certainly, our religious ministers and priests and bishops do not have the knowledge (even if they believe they have the power) to do that.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2023 03:58PM

I got the Covid vaccination the second day I was eligible and would get it again. I was 64 and age is the single largest co-morbidity. By the time the vaccination came out there was already data indicating that a person 45 or younger had very little risk unless they had a major co-morbidity such as obesity, diabetes, or other. The problem with the vaccination is that information was suppressed to such a degree that it was almost impossible to make a good decision. My mother-in-law died from Covid prior to the vaccine being available. My father-in-law was vaccinated even though he had natural immunity from already having covid and the vaccination put him in the hospital. To this day he has not fully recovered. Good information would have kept his daughters from insisting he get vaccinated. Thankfully we had a president who pushed thru the vaccination and approval for use. Regrettably, others pushed mandatory vaccination for too many occupations, even for those that already had natural immunity.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 27, 2023 04:41PM

I lurked on a nurse's message board and other websites during the pandemic (still do -- what they have to say is fascinating.) A reaction to a vaccine strong enough to be hospitalized would be extremely rare.

It's true that there was (and is) a "type" that is more likely to be struck down by Covid -- 50+, male, overweight, and with at least one other complicating health factor (i.e. diabetes, a heart condition, etc.) But the nurses also sometimes reported young, healthy people who were killed by the disease. You couldn't always predict who it would strike and why.

The deaths, when they happened, were horrific. And the nurses reported that death wasn't the worst thing that could happen to you. You could lose limbs to Covid. You could go into LTC (long-term care,) with no hope of ever regaining your health or going home again. You could have been so weakened by the disease that you will never have the capacity to work again. These reports from the field came in over and over again.

So yes, there is no question that it was and is better to be vaccinated. Our health care workers fought a long and hard fight, at great danger to themselves, and I know they appreciated those of us who helped them (and ourselves) by getting the vaccine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.