Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 03:33AM

Does this quote sound familiar?

"How many of the women rallying against overturning Roe are over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches?"

Are you ready to go back in time to the 1920s?

Did you actually believe they were really pro-life?

Fundies claim they are "pro-marriage" and "pro-family," but this will make the marriage rate drop even faster.

The only thing they're for is (white "christian") men controlling women (and everything else).

###########

https://www.alternet.org/christian-nationalists-anti-divorce-campaign-risks-increasing-domestic-violence-report/

In the past, heated debates about divorce were common among Catholics and Mainline Protestants. Catholics tended to be anti-divorce, while Mainline Protestants (Lutherans, Episcopalians, Presbyterians) were all for marriage counseling but were more likely to believe that divorce was a valid option if a marriage was beyond repair.

But in 2023, an anti-divorce movement is growing among far-right white evangelicals. Journalist Katie Herchenroeder examines the Religious Right's campaign against no-fault divorce in an article published by Mother Jones on September 7. And she warns that this campaign risks encouraging domestic violence

But ending no-fault divorce, Herchenroeder warns, would "put even more obstacles in front of" women trying to escape from abusive marriages.

The journalist explains, "The most dangerous time for women experiencing abuse is when they attempt to escape, according to research…. Abusers often isolate their victims, cutting off communication with other family members, friends, and support systems. A 2003 working paper in the National Bureau of Economic Research found that total female suicide declined by around 20 percent in states that allowed one partner to solely push for divorce."

Brooke Axtell of The SAFE Alliance, a Texas-based organization that helps victims of domestic violence, told Mother Jones, "Imagine finally leaving a person who's emotionally and physically assaulted you, betrayed you, violated you — and then being forced to combat them in court, sometimes for years, to prove this just so you can be free of them and claim what belongs to you."

##########

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2023 05:06AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 05:17AM

Growing up Catholic, I remember the time when divorce was much frowned-upon. But it wasn't just divorce, it was any way that a woman could be enabled to walk away from a marriage if she needed to, such as having a career. I saw the result of that, and it wasn't good. Not only were women trapped in bad and sometimes abusive marriages, they took major hits to their self-esteem as a result. As the article notes, the resulting depression linked with despair can lead to suicide. Keeping women dependent and subservient was ultimately not good for anyone. But that's fundie Christianity for you.

Posted by: Multissimo ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 07:27AM

I support gender equality, that means that women shouldn't get child custody 9/10 or have their ex-husbands paying for their profligate lives. If a woman makes more money than her exhusband, including alimonies from other exes, then she should pay him money.

Physically and emotionally abusive women should also be held to the same standards as thuggish men.

Gender equality now!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 02:53PM

Sounds like somebody is bitterly hanging on to their stereotypes.

Actually, women who make more than their husbands do end up paying alimony, though it is common that neither person pays anything.

So you think Lori Daybell is getting preferential treatment? Do tell.

Posted by: Exmo Hobo ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 07:40PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like somebody is bitterly hanging on to
> their stereotypes.
>

Suggest you look at the stats for child custody. A woman practically has to have needles hanging out of her arm to lose custody. A man loses it by virtue of being male, unless the kids are teens and can choose.

Men are ten times more likely to commit suicide after a divorce as well. Doesn't sound like equality to me.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 11:33AM

I've noticed lots of prominent Christians have had divorces. The Bible actually says things about divorce.
So why do they ignore the divorce bits of the Bible and then focus on things that aren't even in the Bible (like abortion)? Go figure.

It boils down to keeping women controlled. Bible women are vessels to be subjugated by men, and that is the goal they have for women today.

Now go begat something and bring me a sandwich, woman!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 12:27PM

Remember the preacher who said women were just "birth pods?"

######################

https://www.newsweek.com/christian-pastor-jonathan-shelley-women-wife-children-man-kids-should-have-texas-1778149

A video of Texas preacher Jonathan Shelley questioning why a husband would ask his wife when she wants to have children has begun to circulate on social media.

In the clip, that has so far been viewed more than 70,000 times, the controversial pastor from Stedfast Baptist Church in Texas questioned whether a person who asked his wife such a question could be called a man or a Baptist Christian.

Author and atheist activist Hemant Mehta shared the clip to his Twitter page on Monday.

He captioned the video: "Christian hate-preacher Jonathan Shelley says a woman should have no say in how many kids she has."

######################

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2023 12:28PM by anybody.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 01:19PM

If women have a say in how many children to birth, .... Doesn't that also mean they're entitled to determine whether or not they'll 'accommodate' their husbands (and others) righteous DEMANDS for sex / nookie?

( I've heard a RUMOR that those are related)

Date: November 28, 2023 11:53AM

GAs have (mostly in the past) spoken & written against divorce & scriptures are plainly against divorce but don't address abuses which happen bothways.

They've diluted so much doctrine by subsituting boiler-plate thar Honesty, Kindness, and developing solutions for problems & challenges in life isn't on their menu.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2023 01:08PM by GNPE.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 03:38PM

"Family Values" 2.0

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 12:31AM

Divorce was, at the same time, one of the best and worst things that ever happened to me.

I can hold my head up because I did everything imaginable to make it work before finally admitting it was over.

One of the nicest things my ex said to me after the divorce was, "I didn't realize all the things you were doing for me until you moved out."

Having said that, I'm in a much better place.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 12:38AM

Good. I'm glad you moved on. Life is too short.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 06:45AM

:)

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 06:25PM

Divorced. I have kids.

IF someone tried to dictate to me how many kids I was going to have...I'd clobber them over the head and get out of Texas as QUICKLY as possible

PS: Not in Texas these days, it's a phrase...).

No one goin control me like that.

Date: November 29, 2023 07:35PM

Divorces can be somewhat friendly, Honest, and 'good for' the parties involved, including children...

or they can be vicious, deceitful, and hate-motivated.

In the gospel context, divorce isn't an excuse for hate or dishonesty, or a vacation from Repentance and forgiving, but ChurchCo hasn't received or transmitted that plan.

One 'member' told me: "Divorce Court is Liars Court' as if people should expect (tolerate?) that, I call BS.

Posted by: Exmo Hobo ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 07:45PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Divorces can be somewhat friendly, Honest, and
> 'good for' the parties involved, including
> children...

I've never seen a single "friendly" divorce. Maybe it is a thing in Las Vegas. It is sometimes necessary, and sometimes both parties want it, but is never enjoyable. There is always a fight and the only person that really wins is the lawyer. I knew one that opened up on Boxing Day for divorce consultations and did a handsome trade in post-Christmas divorces.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.