Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 09:40PM

dagny! Ken Jennings really wants to feature Brigham Young as a Jeopardy! clue?

Like there aren't millions of Mormons more deserving of a mention?

I stopped watching Jeopardy! regularly quite a while back but just started up again as it's on while I'm making dinner. And then I trip over BY of all people?

They showed a picture of him as part of the clue and I didn't even recognize him. They must have found an early more flattering photo from somewhere.

The contestant got it right btw.

I think that's the second mention of Mormonism in the last week or so - I've heard at least two and I've only been back watching for a few days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2023 09:40PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 09:56PM

I know! I saw it and immediately thought of you.

The category was Seconds where they were supposed to name the second one of something, like who was the second person to sail around the world.

There are thousands of things and people that would fit this category, but good old Ken had to include "Who was the second leader of the Mormon church" with BY's picture. The funny thing is that they used the word Mormon (Ken is such a bad worldly boy!).

Honestly, Ken's world is full of trivia, but he has a very narrow scope of the actual world, IMO. In his mind Mormons occupy a bigger piece of the pie than they actually do. It has become more obvious to me that he is largely in charge of the subject matter, and I'm guessing he has Mormon friendly people working on the staff.

Lately Bible questions have been excessive too, IMO. I think Ken fancies himself to be a Bible scholar or something.

So yeah, I sent a groan in your general direction!

Date: November 28, 2023 11:20PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Good point about thousands of 'seconds' questions they could have asked.

> Honestly, Ken's world is full of trivia, but he
> has a very narrow scope of the actual world, IMO.
> In his mind Mormons occupy a bigger piece of the
> pie than they actually do. It has become more
> obvious to me that he is largely in charge of the
> subject matter, and I'm guessing he has Mormon
> friendly people working on the staff.

Seems so. Yes, he must be in charge or at least they defer to his input which is nearly the same thing.

> Lately Bible questions have been excessive too,
> IMO. I think Ken fancies himself to be a Bible
> scholar or something.

They had another whole category of Bible clues last week and I thought the same thing. Definitely more than they ever had before Ken became the host. I don't mind because it's one category I can sometimes answer correctly (unlike most of the other ones) but it's frequent enough now to be quite noticeable. Ken always seems to really perk up when it's Bible time. Or maybe that's my snarky imagination. It's not his fault if I'm mad at the Mormon Church. LOL

Date: November 28, 2023 11:34PM

I see GNPE also started a thread about this.

GNPE, I can't say I care enough to write a letter or petition like you suggested. Still, they deserve to get complaints about their excessive Mormon crap on the show.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 11:56PM

Since Mormons don't know the Bible, aside from a few cherry-picked scriptures, one would think that Bible-related questions are designed to weed out Mormons.

Date: November 29, 2023 12:41AM

My thought was that maybe they want people to know that Mormons use the Bible or that it's equal time - they can bring in moism if they also include mainstream references. Or maybe I'm overthinking it. But there's a definite uptick since the advent of Ken.

Date: November 29, 2023 01:15AM

I think you're right. Mormons are all about the Bible now.

Who do they think they are fooling?

Gee, I wonder why there are never questions about the Pearl of Great Price, which was the third standard work at one time. Ha!

Date: November 29, 2023 01:27AM

Ha. That would be one for the books, if the PoGP showed up on Jep. Then we'd know for sure Ken has executive privileges. Imagine future contestants ferreting out the Pearl to study for the program, haha.

Date: December 08, 2023 08:31PM

Nighty, sorry to resurrect this thread, but Ken was at it again. He managed to work in the name of the Mormon Tab Choir tonight.

I wasn't paying close attention, but I think the category was about organs. It included clues about organs in the body and a couple of musical organ instruments. Out of all the famous organs in the world, he included the world's largest one at West Point Cadet Chapel, and ta da!! the Mormon one, picture and all.

A week or so ago, Ken managed to include the Great Salt Lake with a clue about a Native American word for undrinkable water.

You'd think Utah was the main, biggest, most important state in the USA or something.

Anyway, just wanted to share a groan with someone who gets it.

Date: December 08, 2023 08:59PM

Ha. Thanks for the warning, dagny. I've fallen back into the habit of watching Jep again, as I used to do every night with my dear mum so it's a close memory, but mainly because I'm totally fed up with the news so I switch over halfway through the news coverage to watch Jep again. I do enjoy the game, in theory anyway, and even started getting used to Ken. But yeah, it's got to be at least once a month we're reminded about the Mormon thing it seems.

I saw one episode recently where people complained about Ken afterwards because he made a 'joke' about elderly folks in a nursing home (not being able to stand up or something like that - ouch). There was another moment last week or this that was also wincy - I forget at the moment what it was - but it was poor taste both times, imho. Makes me think he's not all that great at coming up with witticisms off the cuff so he should just quit trying. Isn't it enough to be a brainiac? You don't have to be a humourist with it (unless you're good at it).

I haven't seen the program yet tonight as it comes on at 6:30 p.m. my time (Pacific). Does he really say Mormon Tab Choir? Because I thought they changed their name.

It's going to be a good long while yet, though, before they can lose the moniker 'Mormon' however much they spend on rebranding.

Date: December 08, 2023 09:29PM

I think the clue showed the picture of the organ and something about the origins of its name (tabernacle). The answer was given as Mormon Tabernacle or Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Ken didn't correct him, I guess because it included the necessary word tabernacle.

I was flitting around fixing dinner for my pets, only half listening, like I am most nights at that time. Jeopardy! comes on automatically after my local news, so that's why I usually have it going in the background. (My dog knows the exact minute she is to be served, and the cats complain if their chalices are not full.)

Ken seems most awkward when he is trying to make a "worldly" joke. I'm sure he is a nice guy and all, but he's low on "rizz" in my view. I haven't seen Mayim back since the actor's strike.

I wonder what is going on with the show. They advertise heavily to get people to take the test and sign up. They have one "returning champion" contest after another. Do they not have the interest they used to have? Or, maybe they are branching out to create more successful game related money making Jeopardy products. Apparently they have some podcast or blogs and stuff like that too.

Sorry for the tangent.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 09:51AM

Since Ken has to attempt to host the show as if he were a regular person with no agenda as an emcee should, I notice when alcohol questions and other Mormon no no subjects come up that Ken has to make no big deal of it but you can tell it bugs him. The other night he even joked with a guy who brought up he had to drink too much because of some tattoo on his arm that he didn't know meant he would have to finish a big round or something and his MIL insisted. Ken's laugh about it was so uncomfortable and he hurried to the next contestant interview.*

Made me wonder if the constant working in of the Mormonism isn't a trade off. "I get a Mormon answer for every alcohol or coffee question". And sometimes he must be thinking to himself when that stuff comes up and he has to act like all is okay if he is worried about his TR being yanked.

*The contestant interviews are always so lame anyway.

I hope the question to the answer for the next Mormon thing worked in is "What is soaking?"

Date: December 09, 2023 11:35AM

I agree. He's trying too hard to look comfortable with non LDS topics, but it comes off a little awkward. Maybe it's because I know the mindset because I was like that.

When I was a TBM, inside I felt a tad self righteous and superior to people talking about other religions, alcohol and coffee. I fit in OK, and probably most people didn't notice. However, other Mormons (or exmos) probably notice things like that. He's weirdly overcompensating or uncomfortable sometimes.

---

Contestant: Ken, I'll take the category "Lord's University" for $200
Clue: Name for practice at BYU to have sex without having sex
Answer: What is soaking
Ken: That's correct! (Ken awkwardly laughs)

Date: December 09, 2023 11:58AM

Clue: Helping a friend out.
Contestant No. 3: "What is Bed Jumping?"
Ken: I'm sorry that is not correct.
Contestant No. 1: "What is Jump Humping?"
That is correct and puts you in first place!

Next Clue: Ken's Face
Answer: What is beet red pretending to not be?

Date: December 09, 2023 12:25PM

Snort!
Nailed it.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 12:19PM

Are the Jeopardy Shows reruns? Because the neuroscientist is awesome!

Date: December 19, 2023 06:29PM

I have to say something positive about Ken when it's due as I have complained about him often enough.

The second game of a champions tournament was on last night. I missed the first game, on Friday, because I just plain forgot about Jeopardy! that evening.

During the contestant chat part after the first commercial break, one of the contestants, Yungsheng Wang, spoke about his partner and thanked him for his support, etc. I had seen that contestant before but hadn't heard that he was gay. Which is good, I guess, that nobody made any big deal of it. Ken had a nice little chat with him, although I couldn't hear it all - it was a bit mumbly from Ken - but Ken seemed comfortable and affable with him after the mention of an all-male partnership. So I have to say that he's mainstream enough in that way, that he can have friendly exchanges with the contestants about whatever they wish to mention in their minute in the spotlight. He seems comfortable enough when alcohol is mentioned too and even jokes about it. If you didn't know Mormon leaders warn against SS partnerships as well as the demon drink you wouldn't catch a clue from Ken as he can chat just like one of the boys, for that brief moment in time anyway.

Last night it was a double feature though as the correct response to the final clue was "Stonewall Inn". Only Yungsheng Wang got it right amongst the three brainiac contestants. Like it was meant to be or something. When Ken read out Wang's correct response to the question and announced him as the winner of the Champions Tournament he said something to Wang about Stonewall. I couldn't catch it as Ken mumbles a lot (or else my ears are going). I think it's because he laughs and smiles while he's yakking so his words don't come out clear to me. He's the smiling-est Mormon I've ever seen.

That's a bit of an amazing coincidence isn't it - not only that the male winner mentioned his male partner during the interview part of the show but that the final question, to determine who would win $100,000.00 US buckaroos, was Stonewall, something meaningful to Mr. Wang, who teared up at the end as Ken approached him and repeated Stonewall and they had a little exchange that, as I said, I couldn't hear.

So anyway, I guess my point is that for a Mormon Ken can pass as kind of mainstream. At least when he's hosting Jeopardy!

I don't know if Ken has modified himself in order to be the host or if he was always not so much of a stick-in-the-mud Mormon. It would be difficult, I imagine, to be a strict Mormon and be out in the world with all the heathens.

Date: December 19, 2023 07:11PM

I think you are kind. It's weird that we tend to think he should get a complement for simply acting normal, but we do.

I'm wondering what is up with the show because they dumped Mayim. Is it because they were mad she honored the actor strike and they learned they didn't need her? Is it possible Ken has decided Jeopardy! will be his only gig? Was it a financial issue with the show to dump her? I can't figure out if they keep doing "championships" because they are out of contestants or if they are trying to broaden the show in other ways.

There have been a couple of Utah questions I haven't bothered to post about to you. One questions was something about schools by lakes. The answer was Weber State, by Salt Lake. Weber State!? No one guessed it. Of all the good sized schools in places with lakes, they picked Weber?

It's a weird show sometimes. If it weren't for the time it happens to come on after the news, I wouldn't know anything about it. I wouldn't bother to stream it.

As for Ken? He's OK. He does an OK job. He gets a shrug from me for the most part.

Date: December 19, 2023 07:22PM

Re Mayim - I read in passing that it's apparently something to do with some of her activism? (I could be misremembering what I read. I don't really follow all the famous people stuff). That could perhaps just have been someone's speculation.

Re all the special tournaments/championships, I read that it's the result of the prolonged writers' strike. They couldn't get any new clues written so didn't bring in new contestants. Instead, they recycled clues and filled in the time with all these special tournaments. I couldn't follow it all and I stopped watching it regularly.

Before I just thought the contestants were smart people who knew a lot and that sometimes some would get lucky with the categories and clues and would do well. I didn't know people study for the show and especially, apparently, during this strike they watch re-runs of old shows because all the clues are recycled - their way of not strike-breaking.

So now people just watch re-runs and study up. It's kind of like getting hold of the test paper before writing the exam.

I miss the show quite often now. It used to be a staple in our viewing habits. A combo of being busy doing other things, losing Alex Trebek and all the upheaval on the show since, and not knowing any of the answers makes it doubly no fun. It doesn't really help that every time I see Ken I think 'Mormon' and there are not many cherished memories there. It's not his fault. But that's where we're at.

Date: December 19, 2023 08:17PM

Ahhhh, yes. Activism and the pandemic would explain their actions.

They do have diverse contestants and audience, as it should be.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 07:22PM

Utah has a university named after Max Weber? I would never have guessed.

Date: December 19, 2023 07:26PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Utah has a university named after Max Weber? I
> would never have guessed.

Ha. I didn't see that episode either but yeah. Another Utah clue. Maybe it's their sneaky way to get future contestants to study up on Mormonism, figuring there'll be a stream of converts once people research the church.

Uhh...

Date: December 20, 2023 12:07AM

I don't really think the place is named for Max Weber. That was an attempt at humor.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 12:15AM

Yes, I knew you weren't serious. In fact, the county was named before Max Weber was born.

It was named after the county and river which in turn was named for a fur trapper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber_River

Date: December 20, 2023 12:30AM

Ah yes, John Henry Weber from Hamburg. He must have been Max's uncle.

Date: December 24, 2023 06:47PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I don't really think the place is named for Max
> Weber. That was an attempt at humor.

Oh. {{whoosh}}

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 08:42PM

All this assumes Jennings creates the questions. He may have input but I think it is more the way the question creators play on Jennings.

Date: December 19, 2023 08:50PM

That could well be, Kentish.

Date: December 20, 2023 09:47PM

Now it's just getting ridiculous. Joseph Smith showed up tonight. Again. When is Confucius going to get a turn?

Date: December 20, 2023 11:32PM

Really?! Sheesh.
I missed it.

Date: December 21, 2023 02:17PM

dagny Wrote:
> Really?! Sheesh.
> I missed it.

I don't remember the category but here's the question:

"In his “First Vision” in New York State in 1820 he asked Jesus which church had the truth & Jesus said none of ’em."

One of the contestants rang in immediately to reply: "Who is Joseph Smith".

I spoke out loud to the empty room when I saw this clue, saying something like you've got to be kidding. I truly couldn't believe there would be another mo clue so soon after the last one (which caused me to add a post to this thread not all that long ago).

Ken said yes to the correct answer and carried on with the rest of the clues.

Maybe the contestant knew there's only one guy having visions in the USA who has remained part of US folklore - or whatever.

You would think that Mormon leaders wouldn't want the general population to delve too deeply into their chequered history or especially not want too much focus on JS and his deeds.

But really - you want to tell your international TV audience that God said "none of 'em" (re ALL the other churches) had "the truth".

First, to be picky, I highly doubt God would use such slangy grammar {{jk}}. "None of 'em"? Really.

Besides, I thought JWs have the copyright on calling their religion "the truth". I mean, they actually call it that. JWs say "I am in The Truth", "I love The Truth", "He fell away from The Truth", etc. (NB: I know there's no copyright - I'm just being sardonic, after my own sojourn through JW Land).

I've been watching Jeopardy! for years. I don't recall *any* mention of Mormonism before they happened to hire a Mormon host. Would it be so irksome if it was a non-Mo host who was reading off frequent clues about Unitarianism or Confucianism? Perhaps. But I doubt it. Religion is certainly a reasonable category for the program to include. But not more often than other topics. Like Alex's favourite - the Galapagos - which showed up several times in his last few years.

I can't claim to have seen every episode, definitely not lately as I'm at the take-it or leave-it stage. (It got to be a habit because I used to watch with my mum who enjoyed the show and knew most of the answers I might add - she was lightning fast on the -imaginary- buzzer, lol).

But to summer's point - I don't recall ever seeing a clue about the JWs - I'd take a big bet on a resounding NO on that one. Ditto for Christian Science, although perhaps Mary Baker Eddy may have been mentioned once long ago and far away. I guarantee they wouldn't include Charles Taze Russell on their clue board. Who's ever heard of him? (Yet he founded the WatchTower Society - JWs - originally known as the Bible Students).

It's not just that a Mo-related clue pops up here and there. It's that they appear in quick succession lately. I know it doesn't matter to the state of the world but hey, we're here discussing Mormonism. It's slightly irksome that they get a Jeopardy! host who's Mormon and suddenly Mormonism gets a big stage to feature on.

They've mentioned Mormonism more often in the last few months than faiths with much larger followings. Perhaps Catholic-related clues pop up from time to time but they are few and far between and usually about this or that pope. The Mormon clues seem to be more regular - definitely more so than any other faith. At least in the shows I've seen.

Too, you would think that today's leaders wouldn't want to focus on JS and BY so much but rather on more positive aspects of the church. But maybe all the general public could be expected to know about is JS and BY.

I'm not saying that the leaders actually have an in to the program's clue-writing team. But maybe Ken does.

I know it's no big deal in the world but it just bugs me in my little corner,that's all. Because to be a better "witness" in my mind is to be neutral, as in not using one's position to push dogma.

If that's what he's doing. Which if not, I apologize.

I likely wouldn't notice, or care, if not for having the inside scoop on the Mormon Church and the big fat mess it can make of people's lives.

But mainly I just wonder why the focus on the early leaders when really it doesn't take much to check out their stories and find out they aren't exactly the role models you would wish for. If you're going to bring up Mormonism, hopefully in a positive sense, maybe you'd rather choose to highlight all its present day good works...

Such as:

1. ...
2. ...
3. ...

We can all just fill in the blanks as to what those might be.

Date: December 21, 2023 04:28PM

Wow. That was flagrant LDS PR in that clue. That's got to be one of the worst ones yet!

At least it gave a glimpse into the arrogance of Mormons to claim God said that about other religions. Shaking my head!

I wonder if someone on the show thinks they are helping to "spread the gospel" with questions like that. Sigh.

Date: December 21, 2023 05:00PM

dagny Wrote:
> Wow. That was flagrant LDS PR in that clue. That's
> got to be one of the worst ones yet!

> I wonder if someone on the show thinks they are
> helping to "spread the gospel" with questions like
> that. Sigh.

Yes. I was stunned that someone thought that was a good piece of Mo doctrine to flash up on millions of TV screens for non-mos to see/hear. The clue crew could have someone on it who is pushing Mormonism or someone who is demonstrating its "uniqueness". If it's the former it shows how tone deaf some mos are about the church's history and early leaders. Because I'd leave them dead and buried if it were up to me.

The JWs also believe they are the only ones who will find God's favour.

I can't believe I got involved with both of them. Inside Mormonism reminded me a lot of the JWs. Different doctrine, to be sure. It seems that Mormonism doesn't restrict one's freedom nearly as much as JWs do but with family and leader pressure to conform it's similar and can be equally harmful. To me the two groups seemed very similar in many ways.

It's interesting that I've seen the belly of the beast in each of them. But kind of unbelievable that after negative experiences with JWs (especially the isolationism they demand) I fell into a group that actually has quite a lot in common with them. Mormonism seems freer but it also casts its net, in which it catches far more people than the JWs do. But that's JW doctrine - that "few are chosen" so it gives them cover if they remain a blip on the world scene.

Two quite depressing groups.

I won't be joining another one!

My mistake was to say yes when a "friend" invited me to church. I was too easily persuaded to get involved and experiences with both groups were highly negative.

The best thing about it all was "meeting" all of you.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 09:54PM

I doubt Ken has much input into the answers, he might review them before broadcast, but doesn't have much input.

They have a many writers that investigate tons of material to formulate the material.

If he has input or starts to have input , I think the writer take it with a grain of salt just to humor him.

I think the people on this board are a little too sensitive when the word Mormon or LDS pops up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2023 09:56PM by tumwater.

Date: December 20, 2023 12:05AM

I think it's more a case of years of watching Jeopardy with never a mention of Mormonism. Then they get a Mormon host and Mormonism pops up every 2nd week. More often than Catholicism or Lutheranism or anything else most people know more about.

My main purpose here was to say that of all the more positive aspects of the church they may want to highlight it's too bad that Brigham Young was given a mention.

Dagny & I are just goofing off with it. It's not a thesis on Mormonism.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 21, 2023 08:00AM

I guess my question would be, does Mormonism as a topic pop up more frequently than other small sects (i.e. the JWs, Christian Science, etc.) If it does, than that seems suspect. It also seems suspect if it pops up more frequently than questions about the mainstream churches as Nightingale points out above.

Date: December 21, 2023 02:49PM

The answer is jumping up and down and screaming like a two-year old demanding attention.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 01:16PM

Who was this ‘Jose Schmidt’ mentioned on Jeopardy! & in this thread ?

anyone??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2023 01:24PM by GNPE.

Date: December 22, 2023 08:21PM

Nighty!

Good grief. Tonight there was a category about governors. Out of all the states, all the governors there have been, and only 5 questions, they included Brigham Young. The question was about the President wanting to replace this governor. (My victim radar went off.)

This was a "Second Chance" game where they recycle players. I can't tell if it was a repeat, but I don't think so.

(Just sharing with my fellow Jeopardy! conspiracy pal!)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 11:19PM

Be Prepared for a follow-up one about Gov. Ford of Illinois & the Mos…

Date: December 24, 2023 06:41PM

dagny Wrote:
> Good grief. Tonight there was a category about
> governors. Out of all the states, all the
> governors there have been, and only 5 questions,
> they included Brigham Young. The question was
> about the President wanting to replace this
> governor. (My victim radar went off.)

Ha. I watched this show but missed this clue as my attention wandered off for a while. But I remember saying out loud to an empty room: You have GOT to be kidding when the contestant responded "Who is Brigham Young" and Ken said "yes, that's right". (That's a BY clue twice in three weeks - kind of notable).

The category was Historical American Governors.

The clue was:

The 1850s Utah War began with 'Buchanan's Blunder', when President Buchanan moved to replace this man as governor.

The answer was (as you say): Brigham Young.

Even if we kind of thought maybe we *were* conspiracy nuts about this, then BY makes a reappearance twice in three weeks?

Not that I'm even consistently tracking but that's Joseph Smith x 2, BY x 2 and the MoTab, all in the last six weeks. That is definitely way more exposure than Mormonism had back before Ken.

I'm sure it will cause at least some future contestants to include Mormonism in their study sessions and maybe that's the point if indeed there is some Mormon connection to the program now (aside from Ken - I don't necessarily think it's him that's coming up with this idea to yak up early mo leaders but who knows).

As for Ken using the word 'Mormon' (on international TV, haha) they may figure they pretty well have to - because who aside from Mormons would recognize the new moniker 'The Church of Jesus Christ' as referring to Mormonism? It's so very convenient that the second part of the name - "of Latter-day Saints" is easily left off, ostensibly due to length. Because yes, the first half of the very long new name is way more Christian-sounding than "Mormon" is.

I can't even count how many people I've heard say through the years that Mormons aren't Christians. Now the Mormons can say yes, we are - it's right there in our church's name. Good rebranding you have to say.

> This was a "Second Chance" game where they recycle
> players. I can't tell if it was a repeat, but I
> don't think so.

It wasn't a repeat, dagny. It can seem like it as it's the same players returning in this never-ending, quite-confusing, tourney where they're recycling the clues as well as the players. This has to mean, if logic enters into any of it, that these 2 BY clues have also appeared previously in other episodes. Somehow they thought reappearing them would be a good idea. So that's 2 BY clues that have been used twice each. Maybe that's why the contestants are getting these responses correct. All they have to do is check out past clues and memorize the answers. I didn't know people actually study for Jep - I thought they were just working within their own natural fields of knowledge. But they openly acknowledge now that oh yeah, they study up. So is it the case that the winners win based on having a wide breadth of knowledge kind of naturally or more that's it having good recall after some cramming sessions. I guess it doesn't matter - the only point is to be the one who can answer the most clues or else at least answer the ones with the highest dollar value.

> (Just sharing with my fellow Jeopardy! conspiracy
> pal!)

It's in the realm of possibility that it *is* a conspiracy! You know what they say: Just because they *are* talking about you doesn't mean you're *not* paranoid. (Or something like that). We used to say that as kids and think it was the funniest thing we'd ever heard.

But really.

It signifies to me that the church leaders still have no clue, (that's a Jeopardy pun, haha), because if they're an influence in this (or even if it's just Ken) they obviously don't realize (hard to imagine) how unhelpful it is to remind the wider public about the two early leaders of the church whose character and deeds can't stand up well to even casual scrutiny. They'd do better to talk up the church architecture, such as when the SLC temple was an answer a while back.

Oh well. It's not the end of the world.

Or, if it is, it's for reasons other than a TV quiz show including an American religion in its regular categories now. I know it's no big deal in the scheme of things but it's kind of fun to complain about it. Nobody has to read it if they don't want to.

If there is actually an attempt to highlight Mormonism now that they have an in with a Mo host they are dreaming if they think that the more the public knows about Mormonism the better they'll like it. Uh...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2023 06:43PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 02:34AM

Any chance it's cuz the church is true?

Date: December 24, 2023 06:46PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Any chance it's cuz the church is true?

Not much of one, I'd say.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 12:23PM

Date: January 10, 2024 09:48PM

The correct response was "Lot's Wife". For once I knew an answer - a fairly rare event. I had to laugh because of LW being on RfM. That's the main reason I clued in to the correct response quickly. Pretty easy though. Everybody knows LW, right?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2024 09:49PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 10, 2024 10:09PM

I saw that! I laughed thinking of our Lot's Wife too!

I don't remember the exact question or category other than the basic Bible answer of Lot's Wife. She sure is popular!

Date: January 10, 2024 10:22PM

"This person looked back --- and was turned into a pillar of salt." Pretty easy.

Date: January 10, 2024 10:28PM

LOL. Yeah, that pretty much narrows it down.

Date: January 10, 2024 11:07PM

But was the respondent's 'answer/question' really informative?

"Who is Lot's wife?" remains a mystery, and while some might think it ephemeral, I suggest it is eternal!

Date: January 10, 2024 11:11PM

In another thread I mentioned Balaam's ass and look who appears. Coincidence?

I think not!

Date: January 10, 2024 11:15PM

> I think not!

I've never doubted you...

Date: January 11, 2024 08:17PM

Nighty!

So tonight (Jan 11, 2024) they had a category on Bible books (of course they did).

Ken managed to get a little self righteous preachy comment in. The clue was a scripture from Leviticus (I forgot the specific one but I think it was Leviticus 19:28) and Ken adds that it means no tattoos.

I'm sure Jews especially will appreciate Ken letting them know the correct interpretation.

It seemed like a Mormon thing to even go there to me.

Date: January 11, 2024 08:33PM

No mention of Lot's Wife? Alas, how fickle the attentions of men. . .

Date: January 11, 2024 09:10PM

dagny! Wow. That's a big % increase in Bible references in the past year, absolutely no doubt. I shouldn't complain - it's one of my best categories, lol. Not that I know that much about it really but I am more familiar with that than most of their categories. I can do Ancient Wonders (on a good day) and alcohol (any day!) but that's about the extent of my specialties. I can rest assured Jep won't be calling me any time soon. Or ever. Fortunately for me, I don't expect it. Or care. Because I know other stuff they don't mention. :P

I've noticed that Ken quite often injects a little nugget of extra info on the Bible etc type clues/responses. I don't know if he really knows a heckuva lot of stuff or if he studies up ahead of each program. Maybe a combo. It was never my experience, at all, that Bible scriptures popped up in the Mormon chapel. In fact, not that many BoM ones did either.

Alex Trebek's favourite category seemed to be the Galápagos and a few times he was reading the clues from there. Even so, and as much sway as he held over the program (I'm guessing) that topic only came up a few times over the years (not every month or even sometimes each week as in this time of Bible Class with Ken). So, yeah, it's noticeable but does it really matter in the scheme of the universe - no. But it's fun to chat about it. And try to figure it out.

Yet, we never really will I guess.

I haven't seen tonight's Jep program yet. I'm just going to make my dinner and settle down for it. Yes, it's such an exciting life I can hardly stand it. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2024 09:12PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 11, 2024 09:52PM

>Ken quite often injects a little nugget of extra info on the Bible etc type clues

It sort of comes off like the know-it-all guy in Gospel Doctrine classes. LOL

I remember Alex being big on the Galapagos island stuff too. I do best on the books or science categories. I'm always amazed how much Geography I don't know.

I'm sitting here expecting a blizzard to hit tonight. That should be fun.

Date: January 11, 2024 10:25PM

dagny Wrote:
> >Ken quite often injects a little nugget of extra
> info on the Bible etc type clues
>
> It sort of comes off like the know-it-all guy in
> Gospel Doctrine classes. LOL

Yes, I've noticed that. And he does so with other categories too. I keep thinking they're going to run out of time if he takes too much time away. Also, the clues seem to be so long these days. But they usually manage to get through them all. I am a bit OCD about wanting them to complete each category.

I missed whatever comment Ken made in the Bible category but I had to laugh during the contestant interview part. One of them said they were going out together after the taping and "the winner buys the drinks". Ken said something like "You'll have to organize that yourselves. I can't be a part of that."

I thought at first he meant that as host he couldn't go out with the contestants but quickly realized he meant that as a Mormon he has to stay away from alcohol altogether.

Kind of unnecessary. And likely many viewers wouldn't really get what he meant anyway.

I don't dislike him. Certainly not due to his Mormonism. But I can't help but keep thinking about it because I keep watching the show and there he always is. And my Mormon Interlude is not my favourite memory.

> I remember Alex being big on the Galapagos island
> stuff too. I do best on the books or science
> categories. I'm always amazed how much Geography I
> don't know.

Me too re geography. I am certifiably ignorant in that field. I keep intending to buy an atlas but ...

> I'm sitting here expecting a blizzard to hit
> tonight. That should be fun.

We are too - not a blizzard likely but stormy weather. The wind has been building up all day and it's seriously chilly even indoors. When the big gusts come they scare me a bit. Like, I hope everything crucial holds together. I never mind rain (fortunately, as it's a prominent weather feature here) but I'm not a fan of high winds and big storms. Or the noise. It always seems a prelude to disaster. This afternoon the wind opened my front yard gate and blew my doormat upside down. No big deal, as long as that's the worst of it for me.

Poor Ken. I don't mean to pick on him. I might shut up about it now. He's the permanent host and I guess I'll get used to it. It's not his fault he was born Mormon. I wanted Aaron Rodgers so what do I know. (Only because he was nice to look at. But that usually proves to be way less important than character).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2024 10:27PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 11, 2024 10:38PM

>>"You'll have to organize that yourselves. I can't be a part of that."

I caught that. I assumed he meant professionally but now you mention it, who knows.

Stay safe in the storms, everyone!

Date: January 11, 2024 08:24PM

I feel the spirit telling me that
that ghawd is using Jeopardy! to
preach the one, true religion and
that we all need to re-enlist in
the new, improved mormonism...

Date: January 11, 2024 08:32PM

"I'll try the category Mormon for 10% please, Ken"

Date: January 11, 2024 09:02PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> "I'll try the category Mormon for 10% please, Ken"

Hilarious D!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.