Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 12:42PM

Summer is most likely right, that I should go to community college first, and get an associates degree before heading to WGU. I have a whopping 13 credits that transferred, and I have no degrees

I actually went to two colleges. I was going to get my AS in Paralegal studies at one of them. But now that I see that SLCC has a Paralegal program, I could finish it, and have a really strong background in hacking laws.

I think it might still apply in the coursework I need to complete. So paralegal studies, I could finish out, and then do the BS.

The bachelors is 120 credits. I would probably do better if I had an associates first...

Apparently SLCC is doing the certificates to transfer credits thing too. I wonder if I could get some completion certificates in classes, so I can get more credits. The certs are transferrable to AA, AS or AAS degrees.

I believe the certificates could transfer to WGU and I would be set.

So...complete generals, get Paralegal AAS emphasizing Cyber Criminal Law, make a bunch of Proficiency certificates, then Transfer credits to WGU Cybersecurity and Information Assurance BS (yes, I changed the direction towards the Cybersecurity degree, due to the background I would have had if I had finished the Paralegal degree).

I would have gotten the Paralegal degree earlier if my teacher in Humanities wasn't such a bitch. She asked me why I left the Mormons, because she had never heard of them before. I would not be surprised if she was one.

I had a C in the class after week one. I dropped it. Some professors are just evil that way.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 05:03PM by lousyleper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 02:09PM

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Date: November 29, 2023 02:11PM

Date: November 29, 2023 02:42PM

Big dreams are reached with little steps.

Date: November 29, 2023 02:44PM

I need to schedule with my enrollment counselor at WGU in order to tell her my new plans with the Paralegal program at SLCC. I just hope she understands.

Will do it as outlined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 02:47PM by lousyleper.

Date: November 29, 2023 04:02PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 06:08PM

I think you'll be fine. It sounds like you've formulated a good plan. Remember, keep it cheap!

Date: November 29, 2023 06:30PM

Should cover the Associates, and then most of the classes for the Bachelors degree. Saving most of my disability money will make things easier. Will be able to get the other stuff I need like Networking, Linux SysAdmin certification and others.

I found that some certificates of Proficiency are 16-20 credit hours, so there is a good chance I will have to pay student loans.

The certificates will most likely cover classes that can be waived towards the Bachelors degree, after proficiency is set.?

We'll what the EC says. Like I said, I'll return and report!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 06:49PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 08:26PM

If you get your paralegal degree, and tech/cybersecurity certificates, you may be able to work as a paralegal in cybersecurity or other tech law. If you want to further your education at that point, your employer (the law firm) might pay for your education.

Date: November 29, 2023 09:06PM

Date: November 29, 2023 09:04PM

The call went well. She understood that I needed credit to get along in the BS, but she said, we don't to have to build the appropriate general education in order to proceed.she said that it was a pleasure, and that look at partners that I can take classes from, and get my credits that way.

She is still hopeful that I will come back in like 2 years (I told her 4), depends on what happens with the credits, how much of a load I can handle, and most of all, mental health pressure. But we both agreed that an Associates would be best for now.

I am not quitting, I'm just making sure I am ready.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 09:20PM by lousyleper.

Date: November 29, 2023 10:34PM

Good deal!

Date: November 29, 2023 10:54PM

Most of the classes are 79 dollars, for example, intro to psychology (PSY101) and you pass it (online proctor), you get the three credits for the class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 10:55PM by lousyleper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.