Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 03:10PM

https://medium.com/@veronikatait/all-things-denote-there-is-a-mormon-god-94a11c62cbe6

“All Things Denote There is a Mormon God

Exposing Unfalsifiable Claims by the LDS Church.

“That guy’s ideas are so bad, they’re not even wrong.” - Leon Festinger describing theories from Abraham Maslow.

What evidence is there that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true? Is there some kind of sign we can point to know for sure that the Mormon God exists? This was asked by Korihor, one of the Book of Mormon villains. He said to the prophet Alma,

“If thou wilt show me a sign, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words. But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and call things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.”

Members of the LDS church have many pieces of evidence to point to that “denote there is a God.” Several of their arguments use unfalsifiable claims and motivated reasoning, a trap that we humans have been caught in all throughout history….

…But Veronika, Why Do You Care? Live and Let Live
Now reader, you may be wondering why I have gone through all this trouble to outline instances of unfalsifiable claims throughout history, and most importantly, throughout the teachings of the LDS church. I can leave, but I can’t leave it alone.
I understand that members of the LDS church will likely see my arguments as one-sided and unfairly negative. In my defense, I discussed the church in a one-sided and unfairly positive light for 30 years. Perhaps I’ll spend the next three decades focused on the negative side, then look for balance. Many of you may be thinking, I simply didn’t understand the gospel in the right way. Just as orthodox Jews believe I don’t understand Judaism in the right way and Hindus believe I don’t understand Hinduism in the right way. Should I spend 30 years studying each of them to REALLY determine if they’re true? To continue studying until I decide they ARE true, as is implied in Mormonism?
Unfalsifiable claims — where any outcome increases the belief — can be used to justify nearly any religion, and those outside of the LDS religion are just as sincere in their convictions, as you can see here. I think it’s important to recognize belief perseverance. Being impervious to concrete evidence can be dangerous, as we’ve seen recently with LDS members Lori Daybell, Tim Ballard, and Ruby Franke.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 11:29PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 03:19PM

Circular logic. If you define God as "that which explains everything", then don't be surprised if God ends up explaining everything.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 03:33PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 11:03PM

Lies really are true in Heaven.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.