Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 09:15PM

Turns out he and I share a birthday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 09:26PM

You're 100 too?

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 09:37PM

He may well be 102 for all we know.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 11:06PM

Besides, I'm a different breed of old coot.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 09:31PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 09:35PM by anybody.

Date: November 29, 2023 09:42PM

More Metternich or Castlereagh than Talleyrand, I'd say. But yes, by modern standards a great geostrategist.

Date: November 29, 2023 09:47PM

Date: November 29, 2023 09:55PM

Talleyrand wasn't the mastermind. He was the representative of a defeated nation and would normally never have returned to power.

Metternich, however, saw Alexander looming in Central Europe and understood the need for France as a counterpoise to Russian power. So he brought Talleyrand out of history's dustbin and welcomed France back into the European order.

Castlereagh was appalled by that and other things Metternich had done--until the two men met. Then he saw that Britain's interests and Austria's were virtually identical and decided to cooperate. They jointly empowered Talleyrand while Castlereagh simultaneously worked against all odds to keep the British committed to a Europe that they had traditionally avoided in what would become known as Splendid Isolation.

The emotional toll of that work probably contributed to Castlereagh's unfortunate demise, which left Metternich alone to rebuild the continent.

Date: November 29, 2023 10:03PM

I meant how Kissinger was able to survive during and after working for Richard Nixon, then survived again after Carter and Reagan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 10:09PM by anybody.

Date: November 29, 2023 10:21PM

Yep. Talleyrand was an inveterate sycophant and it served him well. I sometimes think the inn keeper in Les Miserables is a treatment of Talleyrand: no matter what happened to society, the inn keeper and his wife always floated to the top.

Nixon was actually more astute than Kissinger. He had spelled out the detente strategy--forming a relationship with Beijing to use against Moscow--years before Kissinger could find China on a map. RN spent a great deal of his wilderness years talking to the consul general in Hong Kong (Osborne, his name was), Ambassador Marshall Green in Indonesia, and John Holdrige, and outlined the results in his 1967 Foreign Affairs article, in which he outlined the detente he would later implement. Kissinger tried to take some of the credit for that in his memoirs (White House Years). but all he could say was that China "had figured" in his work as well.

You're right about surviving Nixon. Kissinger was about the only insider who escaped Watergate with any reputation left, but his second volume of memoirs (Years of Upheaval) describe how very difficult that was--as well as how dangerous Rumsfeld and Cheney already were during the Ford Administration.

But Nixon was as visionary as he was evil--a point it is easy to neglect--which is probably why he was able to manage Mao and Brezhnev so adroitly. It is probably not an overstatement to say that the best person to deal with sociopathic leaders is another sociopathic leader. Yet if the paranoia goes too far, you end up burning down your own house.

Date: November 29, 2023 10:31PM

Although a Quaker, Nixon served in the Navy in WW2 as a noncombatant supply officer and made a lot of money from poker games.

Date: November 29, 2023 10:37PM

Adding a point about Reagan.

There were two different Reagan teams. The first was Richard Allen, Al Haig, Casper Weinberger, and other relatively shallow and reactionary officials. Those guys made a right mess of things and came fairly close to starting a nuclear war.

But what was astonishing was that Reagan realized things were going awry and changed direction in 1983-1984. Then he brought in a bunch of Nixon-Kissinger people: Brady, the Mormon Scowcroft, Eagleburger, and Shultz. As a result, when Gorbachev came along there were people in Washington who saw the opportunity to revivify detente. The word had to be avoided, of course, given how toxic Nixon and by this time Kissinger had become, but at the end of the Reagan presidency the US was basically following Nixon's strategy. And George W. Bush was also a Kissinger guy, so he was able to wind down the USSR without triggering a global war as well as managing Saddam Hussein with a degree of judgment that the United States would miss a decade later.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 10:08PM

Happy Birthday Caffiend!

Date: November 29, 2023 10:22PM

Amazing, isn't it? I hear he just turned 102.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 10:47PM

Old enough to be a General Authority.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 11:16PM

Kissinger's Birthday is (was?) May 27, 1923.
And thanks, dagny--perhaps the nicest thing I've heard here in a while. We Cassandras aren't known for making (or keeping) friends. That, or maybe my Asperger's.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 01:55AM

God takes out the trash.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 02:15AM

HK appears to have had few friends in the military, most likely there will often if not always be tension between politicians (state department) & the military. I'm more comfortable with some tension as opposed to control or heavy-handed control or manipulation.

I think those in the military seem to often have a longer-range vision of matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2023 02:16AM by GNPE.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 05:03AM

Military guys don't like genocidal maniacs, whether they are on our side or not. Kissinger escalated the war in Vietnam and was instrumental in Nixon's massive bombing of Cambodia. He made the US look like the bad guys, so as a result Pol Pot came to power and killed two million of the best Cambodians.

I suppose passing war criminals should be talked about in glowing terms because blowing people to bits is so much fun. Madeline Albright should be ashamed of herself. Her body count isn't even a million.

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 01:56PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God takes out the trash.

Ditto!

Posted by: Anonymous User2023 ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 04:37AM

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 07:20AM

In the PBS documentary, "Last Days in Vietnam,", Mr. Kissinger admitted that both he and President Ford were wrong about bringing out the last Americans from a country that was being rapidly taken over by the north in late april of 1975. We almost left a group of 21 embassy Marine guards there because of that miscalculation. That said, I am inclined to agree with both LW and Anybody regarding his diplomatic style and approach.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 10:57AM

This has been a bad week for the ~100 folks. Mrs. Carter, Mr. Kissinger, and two days ago, Charlie Munger.

Charlie was a hoot and a financial role model for us. I first learned about him back when I was in my 20s. We had moved to Nebraska where Warren (Buffett) and Charlie lived. RIP Charlie! Maybe God can use Charlie as a financial advisor in heaven so He quits needing everyone's money.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 02:03PM

I just read an ATLANTIC article said/ suggested he was insecure & ego-driven more than humanitarian, focused on what happened in SE Asia.

It seemed like an accurate appraisal - explanation of events…

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: December 06, 2023 09:25AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.