Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heart of Stone ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 12:41PM

Really is Babylonian... Travis Kelce (football player and Taylor Swift’s artless boyfriend) did an ad for Light the World.

Having worked at the stake level to bring greater awareness to the Giving Machines and also a former New Yorker it’s been interesting to watch the media hype the church is trying to generate with their “Light th World” campaign. This hype comes at a pretty hefty price tag $$ Sure, many of the sights for the giving machines are donated to the church during the campaign but some aren’t. Here in Denver the Kroenke foundation (owner of the Nuggets, Avalanche, LA Rams- no he’s not LDS) donated the spot where they had the machines but they’ve moved locations this year because of safety concerns, concerns that we would bring up in years past but were scoffed at, but I digress. After last yrs campaign the Denver area alone was told we needed to bring in over $1 million in donations, they got under $300k. The lesson learned from this is safety concerns won’t cause them to move locations but like Satan so eloquently said, “you can buy anything with $” or in this case you can move spots to generate more $ - again I digress.

Let’s look at the cost for 15 seconds on a Time Square billboard: ~$40. That’s honestly really cheap. They had virtually every billboard lit up:
https://x.com/the_churchnews/status/1729536324859023371?s=61&t=81qFwzOwY49zYTpZF5N52A

Then I received this from a friend:
The church flew out the Utah influencers to Times Square to promote the giving machines the influencers have put this on their stories the church also paid for their food and lodging as well

While my hope is that the $ generated through this giving campaign really does help those in need throughout the world, I can’t help but think the church uses it as a huge marketing campaign to sell more memberships, so-to-speak. It’s developing a foul taste in my mouth. The money keeps going to corrupt globalist corps. Just add it to their already interesting “investments”: SLC malls, Maui resorts, UK Amazon warehouses, Nebraska, Washington farmland, Pfizer, Lockheed Martin stock, “influencer” flights & hotels…
But make sure those members are grateful for their dilapidated, stinky church buildings and clean them every Saturday!

Finally, it’d be interesting to know: How much does the church pay for the Light the World campaign vs how much do they bring in?? they are barely breaking even with the amount of money they spend on it as oppose to raising.I don't recall exact numbers but I heard a few years ago, from someone that worked for the Church, that it was pretty much break-even, that they spent something like $5 Million on marketing and brought in about the same through the giving machines. It varies, but it is not unusual for non-profits to have up to 90% of their donations go to supporting the organization (salaries, building space, operating expenses, etc) Many non profits are set up as wealth transfers among the ruling elite. They use volunteers for much of the work and salaries are only for the top officials. Now try that business model with a "for-profit" business. Funny how a simple change in business registration can make what would be an illegal and highly criticized activity legal and applauded. Yet this is what the billionare Jimmy Wales does with his Wikimedia group and the ridiculous Wikipedia that some people seem to think is the font of all knowledge. Duolingo does it too. Editors provide and upload most of the material. Few Wikipedians are paid. And the inevitable begging ad at the top of the page

Here’s a link to an influencers instagram post for those who may not believe that the church is paying them to market this campaign.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0N88aFs85o/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

The Church isn’t in the business of using their own money for charity, they would rather use us to provide it for them. They just like to pay their corporate sponsors really well, so they can bring in more revenue in the form of tithing payers.

The virtue signal vending machines are mostly fake. They are deceptive. When someone buys a chicken or whatever, they're really not buying a chicken. A few chickens might get purchased. Maybe. But according to the church, the money laundering charity that says it's going to buy a chicken can actually do whatever it wants with the money. Does anyone audit these organizations? Does the church audit them?

"Where does my donation go?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints covers all operational costs for the Light the World Giving Machine initiative. Individual credit card transaction fees are covered by the donor or the Church. As such, participating nonprofit organizations receive 100% of every donation to purchase and deliver your selected item(s).

Occasionally, it becomes necessary to make an item substitution to meet unexpected needs. When this occurs, replacement products or services remain in the same category as the original."

(I think that wording changed recently. Need to research that)

Yes, it changed. This is what it read in October:

"Where does my donation go?

One hundred percent of your donations made at a Light the World Giving Machine will be used for the purchased item, similar items, or services of greater need as determined by the applicable charitable organization. To ensure this, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints generously covers all Giving Machine operational costs."

Which begs the question why I would go out of my way to find a “Light the World” machine to donate to a charity when I could give the money directly. My town is too small to merit such a machine, but the local women’s care center is easy to find. You don't need to give it to a wing of the United Nations government or similar.

I wonder why the church decided to "Light the World" by cozying up to Big Charity where they know most of the money will either be wasted, used to fund things that are evil, or will end up in the pockets of the executives and corrupt governments these charities are in collusion with.

They could have easily had the same message but encouraged people to give locally or to find a neighbor in need.

This is the main issue I have with the Church's JustServe app. It is a good thing to encourage people to volunteer their time helping others, but almost all of the opportunities seem to be with Big Charity or with local groups that peddle agendas.

Per the church news article, “Since 2017, the Giving Machines worldwide have generated $22 million in donations." Around $3.6M per year. Seems like this campaign is more about positive PR for the LDS church than about helping people. They should’ve just donated the $ instead of splashing their image all over time square in a ridiculously expensive PR move. Maybe they’re after new wealthy tithing payers & see it as an investment.

There's something gross about paying to advertise asking other people to donate $ instead of just donating $ yourself. If the church really cares, let them donate their own dragon hoard first. It’s a blatant attempt to take the credit for others kindness. That’s millions of dollars in advertising wasted to solicit donations that might not even meet the amount spent on the advertising. Of course all of the time & money donated will be counted towards their charitable contribution per the annual report that they used to give.

If the church says that they spent $5 million to collect for charity and they only collected $5 million, they could say that they donated $5 million to charity. Although not a penny actually came from the church. They could also claim $5 million in expenses. The effort was probably as effective as a $5 million dollar ad for name recognition. Some people would be convinced that the church actually makes charitable contributions. After all of the administrators of the Red Cross or whatever organization the church gave the money to was paid, there was enough money left over to purchase three tricycles and a skateboard. I bet they will count it toward their "charitable giving" numbers. Anything to try to make it look more than the measly 1% of $100B+.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 12:58PM

I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to business, so any attempts to criticize my thoughts are wasted effort; I already know I'm pretty duncey when it comes to the ways of the world.

So here's what I'm thinking right now:  I have a recollection of hearing that people who own stocks (or organizations, like the church) get "quarterly dividends" or something like that.

If this is the case, then the church gets 'taxable income' via the stocks they own.  (Rumor has it that this is the point of owning stocks!)

The next thought is that they'd owe taxes on this hoped-for income, and if they are true Americans, they want to pay as little tax as possible.  (I think it's in the preamble to the Constitution that this is okay.)

So if they 'donate' some stock income to a charitable cause, then that becomes untaxed income.

And then the donations that come in don't count as income since the church is ... A CHURCH!  Based on what the OP says, they'd hoped for a lot more donations, but their dreams weren't realized.

But they still end up "laundering" all the money they invested in trying to get the donations.

Am I wrong in this?  Is Jesus not as tricky as I'm portraying him?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 10:54AM

You are wrong on that. Churches do not pay federal income tax on capital gains, rents, interest, or dividends.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Date: December 01, 2023 11:41AM

I prefer to think of myself as uninformed, rather than wrong.

I think it’ll make a difference during my interviews regarding admittance into celestial glory and eternal penishood.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 03:28PM

"Uninformed?"

How about disinformed? Misinformed? Malinformed? Malformed?

Sometimes it's hard to know which fits the circumstances best, isn't it?

Date: December 01, 2023 03:37PM

Posted by: bradIey ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 01:31PM

Now we finally know, all those lost manuscript pages talked about vending machine church and how one day it would be here!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 02:00PM

What a gimmick.

>>>Which begs the question why I would go out of my way to find a “Light the World” machine to donate to a charity when I could give the money directly

Exactly! Why launder your charity money through the Mormon church where they spend the money on PR and charity gimmicks using other people's money?

The Mormon church is enormously wealthy. Through all the recent world crises, they have done disgustingly little to make a difference. They could write a check and make a significant difference for multiple situations.

I can't find who manufactures these "giving machines" but I can guess who paying for them benefits.

Mormons, be more like Dolly Parton when it comes to charity. It's not about you.

Posted by: Pie & Mash ( )
Date: December 02, 2023 05:18AM

dagny Wrote:
--
> I can't find who manufactures these "giving
> machines" but I can guess who paying for them
> benefits.

Dominion? (Jk)

The best I could find so far was a press release from last year that said the church is partnering with Vending Exchange International, a company out of Ohio.
https://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/management/news/21288840/vendors-exchange-partners-with-the-light-the-world-giving-machine-campaign

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 02, 2023 12:16PM

(Hahaha Dominion)

Thanks for that. I couldn't find anything too interesting about them. At one time they refinanced and also had a D- rating at BBB. I didn't see any obvious information about their stakeholders, investors or stock owners that screamed Mormon.

I did see that the church and that Vendors Exchange provided a few articles to a vending newsletter a few times:

https://www.vendingtimes.com/news/vendors-exchange-international-continues-giving-machine-campaign-partnership/

I did learn that the vending machines are pricy and require maintenance and oversight. I have mixed feelings about the church handing out little stuff (using donations and volunteers of course) when they could donate money directly to more suitable outlets.

I think the vending machines are probably intended to serve as a visual prompt to put the LDS church in everyone's face, just like their temples. They have to put their own type of "golden arches" everywhere while somehow convincing everyone it is FOR their members and the community.

I didn't dig around to see if there is a link between the LDS church and this company, but I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the church benefits in the excelled growth of this little company.

A new church job description and maybe even missions might evolve around these things. "I'm the ward vending machine director! I need volunteers to come stock the machine with hygiene products."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 02:44AM

Tennessee on their way home from their jobs. Haven't been home yet. They left Fairbanks at the end of September.

I did take note of the pictures of them, their friend who they are staying with, and her mother. My daughter knows them well and now her husband does, but they were at the giving machines there in Tennessee. I know they aren't in Nashville. When I saw the pictures I had to look it up just to make sure I knew what it was before I was (what is a good word??). Disappointed.

I have to let my daughter be and do things her own way without saying anything. It works better, but why not take that money and come home? I haven't seen them since April.

It was definitely virtue signally for my daughter. She gets a lot of mileage out of being the family mormon. This ward just LOVES her. I tend to think (when they tell me)--I wonder who raised her? (They like me, too, oddly enough, but I don't go back to church and it frustrates them.)

Posted by: Tough Luck Kid ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 05:24AM

"The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.”
Amelia Earhart

In my opinion corporate giving robs people of the opportunity to make connections, build friendships and spread kindness. The same way corporate destruction of communities through the Fourth Industrial Revolution and 2020 has not healed yet. I’ve always had a problem with our greatest “service” as members of the LDS church being doing work for dead people. It fills my soul to have good conversations with people I meet, even random strangers as we stand in line somewhere. I’ve taken up a friendship with an older gentleman who works at the store I frequent, look forward to seeing him and recently learned he looks for me everyday hoping I’ll stop by to say hello. Now when someone struggles or a young couple has a new baby the are told to get on welfare, "That's what I pay taxes for!" They don't get told, "we'll help you" or the community will help out. (By community I mean a settled group of people in the same locality. Not a bunch of hateful bureaucrats or an interest group as a hobby horse for someone.) Families and neighbors shifted responsibility to the state or the church. Zero interactions with the dead, can even take a nap if you want for 1 1/2 hr and somehow when you wake up you’ll have another spirit brother/sister bowing down to you in worship when it’s your time to cross the veil. We need human interaction. “It is not good for men to be alone” applies to way more than marriage.

Just writing this makes me think I need to go pick something up for dinner

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 08:29AM

I feel that going through any third party to donate -- whether it's the Mormon church, United Way, or the clerks at your local store with their endless donation requests, is a mistake. For one thing, it gives possible bad actors in the third party a chance to skim off some of the donations (there were a couple of UW scandals in my area years ago.) For another, you deserve the credit along with the tax donation.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 11:19AM

World War II vets (including my dad and uncles) hated the Red Cross.

My dad was in the South Pacific Theatre of Operations, and they had gone ashore (New Guinea) and set up a camp there. He was a Navy corpsman.

One afternoon, a U.S. Navy ship had just gotten blown up so my dad and others went out to try to rescue survivors. Many of them were critically wounded. They brought them back to shore and asked the Red Cross (who happened to be camped there also), for help. The Red Cross's reply? "Who's going to pay?"

Here were dying and injured servicemen, and the Red Cross wanted to know who was going to pay.

My dad and the rest of the men told the Red Cross where to go, and got all the spare clean laundry, medical assistance, etc and helped those poor guys themselves.

When there was a strong earthquake in Peru, many people lost their homes. The Red Cross contacted Peru's government officials to send tents to all who were made homeless. They had an agreement with the government to send all tents to the banks and private businesses (they sold the tents to the banks). No one who had suffered in the earthquake received tents, but the wealthy and those who worked for them did, and their homes weren't damaged. My husband's brother-in-law (who was a chauffeur for the CEO of a bank even received a tent.

The common thread with all of these charity organizations and TSCC is that they all make a profit out of gullible people, one way or another.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 11:46AM

I've heard the negative stories about the Red Cross during WWII as well, although I think the organization has improved over the years. Probably no charity is ideal, but vetting one's donations is always a good idea.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 02, 2023 11:29AM

Your last paragraph summation, Heart of Stone, says it all in spades. You nailed it. And nailed so many charities like they pretend to be.

Rich people dressed in jeans that have been fake distressed---ripped, torn, soiled, and sanded.*
Poor people living in a shack but driving around in an expensive BMW and toting a designer bag.

I know both. Which is more pathetically phony?

Mormons now cross-dressing as the garden variety Christians they had always disrespected.

Copies of an original. Counterfeit. Forgeries. Impersonations.

Imitation Charity. Paper Roses.

Mormons really should have copied something better, aimed higher. They have the resources. But, lack the uniqueness they have abandoned to peer pressure. Nothing wrong with believing you could have your own planet. Is it any different than anybody else's beliefs in hoped for happy endings?

Nothing great ever came of just wanting to be like every body else.

*At 12 years, I would got to Ogden at the beginning of the school year and buy two pair of Levis. $4 or $5 a pair as I recall. The first two times I wore them my legs turned blue from the bluing. Over the course of the school year they faded, softened, took the shape of my body. Then in summer on the ranch I worked on hauling hay and working the cattle they because so worn my knees were exposed. They were beautiful. Wabi-sabi they unintentionally were. And then September came again.

One of my greatest pet peeves is seeing people in fake distressed jeans. Of all the fake things I hate, fake Wabi-sabi tops the list.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.