Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 02:12PM

Author visited a Mormon home for a large dinner and to get an understanding of the host's lifestyle. Daily Mail but site wont accept link

Still trying to explain away polygamy. This time, it was dismissed as former policy that "only 2%" participated in.

Photo of an item I'd read about here but never seen: a Quad (as I recall), the thick tome containing BOM, Bible, Pearl of Great Price and Doctrines & Covenants.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 02:31PM

How funny. According to the family history on my ex's side, Joe Smith, married 14 concubines, but that number is far from complete. My ex is a descendant of Eliza R. Snow.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 04:10PM

Eliza Roxcy Snow was childless.

If you know differently, please tell your story.

If she did have a child, who was the child's father?

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 08:54PM

Eliza R. Snow was married at different times to both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.

http://wivesofjosephsmith.org/15-ElizaRSnow.htm

The site does not state whether or not she ever had any children.

Update: According to the Wikipedia entry on Eliza Snow at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliza_R._Snow

another member recorded that Eliza Snow could not have children because of a brutal gang rape in 1838 or 1839. If correct, this means that the poster I'm responding to was correct--Eliza R. Snow never had any children from either of her marriages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2023 10:26AM by blindguy.

Posted by: hrp ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 02:40PM

That was a lie that Hinkley used in the interview with Larry King. He also claimed in the interview that it was a "limited" practice, and not "doctrinal." It was limited to the leaders at first simply because it was a secret doctrine, and only the leaders knew of it. But among the leadership it was not at all a "limited practice": D. Michael Quinn, in his book The Mormon Hierarchy: [Volume 1] Origins of Power, Appendix 6, gives biographical sketches of all the men who were the leaders of the Mormon church between 1830 and 1847. He lists 51 men of leading importance in the church during that period. Twenty-nine of them were polygamists. Of the other 22 (monogamists) about a dozen either had left the church before the 1840s (when polygamy became widespread among the intimate associates of Smith), or were among those who actively opposed polygamy and apostatized or were excommunicated for that opposition. Thus, a more accurate figure of the number of men who practiced it even before the exodus to Utah is 75% of those in the leadership of the church who actually were aware of the doctrine.

Hinckley also neglects to mention that until 1890, the leaders of the church urged all good Mormons to practice it (see the quotation from Joseph F. Smith above, which is typical of sermons of the day). If it was not practiced by all Mormons, it was not because the church was trying to limit the practice, as Hinckley falsely implies.

In fact, every president of the Mormon church from Joseph Smith was polygamous through Heber J. Grant (who died in 1945, and who gave it up when he was 52 years old). The first monogamous president of the church was George Albert Smith, who succeeded Grant in 1945.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 04:17PM

He fled his native Romania for Sweden, wound up in France with an arrest (or charging) record in all three countries. Nauvoo, Missouri, and Utah do not apparently factor in to the Movement for Spiritual Integration into the Absolute (MISA), later rebranded "Atman Yoga Federation." * The usual: spiritual advancement if you'll just spread your legs, honey. By the way, I have a few friends...I mean, gurus...

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/12/71-year-old-romanian-yoga-guru-arrested-france/

*We authentic Brahmins (Boston School) take offence at this nomenclatuire.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 06:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2023 06:30PM by want2bx.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 06:50PM

LOL

Yeah, right. I've heard members say polygamy was rare and the few who were polygamists didn't usually have sex with the extra wives. They were just marrying the poor women who were widows and women who needed help. They were being magnanimous so that all the "sweet spirits" would be sealed to someone.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 07:05PM

Calculating those numbers is so very difficult.

At one point I looked at relatively credible sources, including Quinn, and saw figures like 7% for men and 25% for women, which makes sense because the difference is sort of the point.

The question I've never seen addressed is how to handle polyandry. Is that simply ruled out because it's not polygamy? And if it is taken seriously, is a woman who is married to two men both polygamous and polyandrous? Should she count twice? How about a woman who is married to three men?

Of course Hinckley may have been playing with averages. If you take the data for the entire history of the church--including the period from about 1910 to 2000--you'd reduce the percentage quite significantly.

Nothing to see here. Move along. . ,

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 08:37PM

How to get a “2%” participation rate.

Only count polygamous men. After all, the polygamous wives were only sealed to one man each, so they weren’t polygamous, only the men were.

For the base population, count everybody, and I mean everybody. All women, all children, including non-LDS men, women and children living in Deseret territory.

Divide the number of polygamous men by that large base population, and I can see getting a 2% rate.

It’s also ridiculous. NonLDS should not be included. And the wives and children of these polygamous men should be counted as polygamous Mormons. The entire family is participating in polygamy culture, even if the women and children are not technically married to multiple people.

If the question is phrased as “how many early Utah LDS members were in polygamous families”, I wouldn’t be surprised if it weren’t somewhere around thirty or forty percent.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 09:40PM

It's fascinating (almost breathtaking even) how magical sky-daddy made it so that Mormon penisholders could only help women and younger girls with their dicks. Ka-pow!! Shazamm!! I mean, really, who knew???

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 04, 2023 12:36AM

Woodruff supposedly issued his "manifesto" in 1890 announcing the supposed end of polygamy. Then in 1897, Woodruff himself took another polygamist wife. That says it all for me.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 04, 2023 10:08AM

If you were Mormon in early church especially once plygmy became wildly accepted it would likely be far higher.The only limiting factor being females to pursue….hence old Hebes yapping at conference about bringing the lovely women back to the sand box so they could all have a fair throw at them…..when the big guys take twenty or fifty wives each it severely limits how many the plebes might have…resources are also a big factor giving the more prosperous more access and acceptance of proposition…plygmy has always and will always be a vile ugly institution with few if any redeeming qualities…imo of course….I would venture the vast majority were wetting their pants to get into the ugly mess

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 06, 2023 12:16PM

"For behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory."

Well, D&C 132 is pretty clear that only 2% were eligible for the CK, then.

Oh, wait, that's right, God *changed his mind*........

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 06, 2023 12:56PM

A case could be made for the doctrine of polygamy, despite it being of such importance that entry into the CK is dependent on it, was simply postponed for reasons of political urgency...  Who would deny ghawd the capacity to be 'tricky'?

The current doctrine says that upon the separation of the spirit from the body, the immortal soul doth hie directly to either Spirit Prison or Paradise.  No one goes to his/her/its Kingdom until after the millennium...

Doctrine isn't clear on it, but the lusty elect of ghawd probably envisioned that divvying up all the choice "bundles of fluff" (Hey! Don't get mad at me that this is how it translates from Reformed Egyptian!) will take place during the millennium, after which they will march into the CK and select their mansions.  Although I'd like to see it be like the mad dash portrayed on the screen regarding the opening up of the Oklahoma territory to homesteading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrVoG-edFc

A remaining question whose solution is unknown to me: What happens when a Celestially Sealed couple both wind up in Spirit Prison?  Are they still a couple and HAVE to live together?

A corollary: What if the woman goes to Paradise and the husband to Spirit Prison?  Can she date prior to the Final Judgment?

I gotz ta know!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.