Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 11:31AM

I was chatting with a mental health professional earlier this week and told him how dishonest my brothers were on our family will. He said it is one of the number one things he hears about from middle age + patients. It seems to be almost an epidemic among Utahns.

I thought I was one of the few but I am one of the many.

The church encourages dishonesty and it is obvious in their website about giving to the church. They then give 2nd annointings to members so they won't feel any guilt and will feel happy about screwing their siblings.

It is disgusting..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 11:50AM

As in EVERYTHING about MoMism is disgusting, Mormonism is a CULT ON STEROIDS.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 11:58AM

I just saw a local TV commercial here in SE Idaho for some business called Beehive Credit Union or something similar.

In big letters, the words "Missionary Savings Accounts" came on the screen and they showed a tiny boy using a leaf blower (apparently earning money) then carrying a small jar of coins and bills into the bank.

The idea was that this tiny kid needs to start saving to pay for his two years of free labor for his obscenely wealthy religion. They weren't teaching the kid to give money to the poor. They weren't teaching the kid to save for his own security or education. They were teaching the kid to prepare to hand over his money to the darn church.

It made me feel sick and disgusted, just like when I read obits about people leaving money to the church or asking that in lieu of flowers to donate to the church.

This is all beyond tithing.

Somehow, the culture of justifying taking money because Mormons know better is thick, like in your example.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 12:09PM

Maybe I missed something here but how is it dishonest for people to will their money to the church.
It doesn't belong to their relatives.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 12:17PM

They are predatory about how they do it, searching for old members about to die or people with high net worth. They call and want to meet with them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 01:10PM

I don't know that my thoughts regarding the eagerosity of the church to snag old people's estates actually occur in real life, and I don't have one of the quarterly BYU alumni magazines handy (I throw them out after I check to see if anyone reported me dead) so I can't quote the exact wording, but there are ads in the alumni magazine that show the church is very interested in being included in your will.

The ads say, basically, "Hey, you're getting close to dying, and the church, wanting what's best for you, has some people in our wills and trusts unit who will visit you, live and in person!, to help you decide what would best benefit YOU in terms of who benefits from your estate...

"These church representatives will ensure you get the most Celestial bang for your buck!"

Why does the church have people wanting to help faithful members plan how their estates are going to be divvied up?

How hard is it to imagine a church representative convincing an old TBM that a wayward child or grandchild could be taught a valuable lesson by being excluded from the blessings of inheritance?

Can't you just hear the church representative telling the dearly nearly departed that not getting included in the will would be just the shock needed to reactivate the prodigal offspring?

And since increasing the shares of the faithful offspring might create needless tension, why not give it to Jesus...through his very own church!  Jesus would be happy, and really good things happen when you make Jesus happy!

I bet the church recruits from car dealerships to fill these positions, and no way are these people on a straight salary.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 01:11PM

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to Heaven
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to Heaven

Led Zepplin

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 01:36PM

mom has willed her house (her only asset of value) to the Church. She is a great lady. All of her children have left the faith so it makes me wonder. Her house, her choice, I suppose. It just seems so short-sighted when she has grandchildren who will one day need help with college.

Date: December 07, 2023 02:01PM

> Her house, her choice . . .

How do you think the notion of leaving her most valuable physical asset to the church surfaced in her mind?  Not to mention that it teaches a lesson to her wayward offspring!

You know how when you go inactive the church pays attention to you, in terms of trying to get you reactivated?  It is very likely that bishops and SPs are told to nominate older TBMs who are up there in age and who have 'estates' (meaning wealth and objects of wealth that they can't take with them) so that they can be contacted by the people who do the "leave it to the church!" ads I see in the Alumni mags.

I cannot divest myself of the notion that someone made bank when the thought was made a fact and that she's floating blissfully on all the loving praise she's getting, along with being used as an example that "You, too, can make Jesus smile on you!"

Who doesn't like being praised?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 05:54PM

It tells me she cares about brownie points in an afterlife more than she cares about her grandkids.

Not everyone is the fun grandpa and grandma!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 06:20PM

That's Mormonism for you. Money that could go towards helping her family is instead going to the multi-billion dollar corporation. :(

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 04:20PM

will. There were a lot of things that she did that we weren't sure what really happened or where some of the money went. I was kicked out of the "family" so I wouldn't get in the middle of it. My two sisters did it. I know it didn't go to the church. Even my dad wouldn't have given any to the church.

My dad asked me to be executor, but I was not divorced yet and I didn't want to put his property in jeopardy, so I said no. This sister was the last one of those not disabled who he picked.

I don't think she has a clue about that, but after 15 years this sister has been a huge help to me with some things I've been going through. It doesn't do any good to keep the fight going, but then I can only get along with one sister at a time. I'm the middle sister and believe me, it is quite the balancing act to deal with both of them.

My very wealthy uncle who had been a SP, but hadn't been active mormon until his 50s, kept threatening his kids that he was going to give the money to the church, but he didn't.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 06:49PM

For those that have been to the temple through the endowment, it ties to the Law of Consecration.

It is a rule for lack of a better word.

The law states. 'You covenant this day, before God and these witnesses, that you will consecrate your time, talents, and the gifts you have been blessed with to the COJCOLDS, for the building of Zion.'

Man.., this crap is still in my head.

I seem to have a 'restart endowment' button in my head. Sorry for sounding like an apologist. And yes, I have the whole thing practically memorized with as many times that I went through. Remember, apparently I helped save and seal 1200 people together.

Quite sad.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 07:00PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 07, 2023 06:57PM

I can see multiple reasons as to why TBMs would feel compelled to do that. But it contravenes any sense of human love and care for one's family members. Few families are so rich that they are not in need of the money, if for nothing else than the sake of their youngest members.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 07:05PM

They will do it. Those laws are there to manipulate and put fear into the hearts of the audience.

I agree with you. It is rather sad.

My nonmo mom says, what the hell did they do to you in that place!?!?!??! And why do you not just forget this stuff?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 10:29AM

Try donating your most prized possession to the church.

If you drive down to your nearest church owned DI and try to present the donations officer with your most prized possession: Your personal copy of the Book of Mormon.

They do not want it.

Church leaders have read letters over the pulpit directing members not to donate scriptures and other church content to the local DI. (The stuff sits on shelves for years).

The church wants your house and property though.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 10:55AM

I don't think it's only the church that wants a cut of your will/estate.

Almost every social program/organization has efforts that you should give part of your estate to them.

I've have gotten requests from Trout Unlimited, Save the World from Global Warming, schools and universities I've never heard about, every social program foreign and domestic.

Everyone wants what you have.

Date: December 08, 2023 11:09AM

That's true, but the expectations of other organizations are generally more in check. They want a donation, sure, but they don't expect your house or your entire estate.

Date: December 08, 2023 01:40PM

However, few, if any, organizations make it a point to actively encourage you to cut off 'wayward' heirs in order to be instrumental in teaching them a lesson about just how loving ghawd is.

Church spokeshole:  "What?  We, the church, and our already swollen coffers, benefit from guiding you in this direction ...?  Gracious, we hadn't noticed!"

Posted by: Atheism Sucks ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 06:46PM

Ok, so this is about siblings taking the bigger slice of (cash) pie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2023 08:28PM by Maude.

Posted by: Wasatch Now ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 06:43AM

Do you mean forging wills?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.