Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Grim Reaper ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 05:24PM

I propose this as an on-going thread thread to note and discuss the passing of persons of note.
As a first submission: Ryan O'Neal at 82, peacefully at home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 05:45PM

I have an unforgettable (so far) memory from 1972, at a drive-in theatre in or near Asbury Park, NJ, while watching the movie "What's Up, Doc" in which Ryan plays against Barbra Streisand, and they finally become a couple at the end of the movie, in a final scene where she's followed him onto a plane and has a seat behind him.

He overhears her ostensibly talking to a seatmate, explaining to that seatmate, who has earphones on and is obviously watching a movie, that she, Barbra, is in love and is flying out to podunkville because the man she loves (Ryan) lives there and although they've gone through some trials and tribulations, they're finally going to be together and isn't love wonderful, and isn't it true that "Love means never having to say you're sorry"...?

Halfway through her discourse he's leaned his seat back and has turned to stare at her, so that when she reaches that final line, they've made eye contact and her eyes twinkle.

When she finishes the line, Ryan says, and I quote, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!"

Quirky things like that are the spice of life!

I know nothing else about the man or his work, but he'll live on in my mind, and now being dead, he can't ask for anything more.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 06:20PM

Many years ago my wife dragged me to see this movie. Afterwards she gushed on and on about how romantic it was.

"love means never having to say you're sorry" till I finally said, "being sorry means never having to say I love You".

Sleeping on the couch is never a good time no matter how you poof up the cushions.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 11:33PM

That was a quote from Ryan's earlier movie "Love Story". He was making fun of himself.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 11:42PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------
> That was a quote from Ryan's
> earlier movie "Love Story".
> He was making fun of himself.

Oh!!  It was funny?

Thank ghawd I laughed my ass off!!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 06:07PM

I remember him most from the movie Love Story.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 08:54PM

She was young, beautiful, great legs and a dead ringer for Ali McGraw. She was also a young editor for Glamour Magazine, and did some modeling. Married, too. She knew what she had, and capitalized. She once wrote an article, "What It's Like To Look Like a Celebrity.
She's still going at 84, Dave. I had a huge crush on her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2023 09:00PM by caffiend.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 07:44AM

Love Story was so big when it came out. I can still remember the opening line -- "This is a story about a girl that died." Very maudlin stuff.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 08, 2023 06:26PM

I was saddened by the passing of Robin Williams. Such comedic talent that we will hear no more.

John Candy also, and John Belushi. Two more powerhouse actors gone now. And, Chris Farley.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 12:08AM

Death means never having to say anything.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 04:33AM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 09:54AM

Or pretend anything. Or listen to anything. Why is everyone so afraid of death again?

Date: December 09, 2023 11:36AM

Because they like living. Perhaps sickness and infirmity at the end of life are nature's method of getting us to realize that death may come as a welcome release.

Date: December 09, 2023 12:57PM

Or maybe nature doesn't give a damn about any living creature.

As Thomas Mann said in Magic Mountain, "life is a species of death," meaning the elements of life exist, happen to organize themselves in conscious form for a while, and then return to their normal state.

Date: December 09, 2023 02:42PM

Well, if death comes as a young Robert Redford, then it won't be so bad one day. lol

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 02:51PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, if death comes as a young Robert Redford,
> then it won't be so bad one day. lol

+1x10^9

Date: December 09, 2023 02:55PM

I fear that when death comes to me, it may look like a white-haired gentleman wearing a sombrero and playing an accordion.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 09, 2023 03:28PM

and he doesn't show up for a long, long time

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.