Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 04:24PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 04:29PM

Snicker. You think too much.

Don't worry. Science will someday catch up to the superior knowledge of religion. (Eye roll!)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 04:30PM

The answer is clear. Petroleum came from the plants and animals that God put on other planets eons ago.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 04:35PM

My own father actually believed that. Sigh.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 04:37PM

You beat me to it. Petroleum came along with the dinosaur bones.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 04:38PM

That must be where those noxious weeds come from that appear overnight.

God is testing our faith.........yea that's the ticket!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 04:45PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin

NOTE: I am not advocating for this idea.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 05:10PM

Yes. No matter how old the earth is, where DID petroleum come from?

Oil consumption worldwide reached approximately 97.3 million barrels per day in 2022. This consumption has been going on for decades and decades now. Were there really this many dinosaurs? My feeble little brain can't compute that. Enough to fill 93 billion barrels every day and still have plenty more? I know the dinosaurs were big, but geez.

And if the rest is plant material, that is still a heckuva lot of salad.

So for me, the only answer can be God's magic and that he did indeed do it 6,000 years ago because he knew we would invent planes, trains, and automobiles. This wasn't his first time at the rodeo.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 06:01PM

10-4, D&D, I didn't believe that fossil thing either, but I guess there might have been exceptions (La Brea tar pits???);

that said, there are plenty of other indications (evidence?) that good ole Mother Earth is 10s of thousands of years old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2023 09:19PM by GNPE.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 06:31PM

################

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/

We call crude oil and petroleum fossil fuels because they are mixtures of hydrocarbons that formed from the remains of animals and plants (diatoms) that lived millions of years ago in a marine environment before dinosaurs existed. Over millions of years, the remains of these animals and plants were covered by layers of sand, silt, and rock. Heat and pressure from these layers turned the remains into what we now call crude oil or petroleum. The word petroleum means rock oil or oil from the earth.

################

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum#Fossil_petroleum

Fossil petroleum
Petroleum is a fossil fuel derived from fossilized organic materials, such as zooplankton and algae.[78][79] Vast amounts of these remains settled to sea or lake bottoms where they were covered in stagnant water (water with no dissolved oxygen) or sediments such as mud and silt faster than they could decompose aerobically. Approximately 1 m below this sediment, water oxygen concentration was low, below 0.1 mg/L, and anoxic conditions existed. Temperatures also remained constant.[79]

As further layers settled into the sea or lake bed, intense heat and pressure built up in the lower regions. This process caused the organic matter to change, first into a waxy material known as kerogen, found in various oil shales around the world, and then with more heat into liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons via a process known as catagenesis. Formation of petroleum occurs from hydrocarbon pyrolysis in a variety of mainly endothermic reactions at high temperatures or pressures, or both.[79][80] These phases are described in detail below.

Anaerobic decay
In the absence of plentiful oxygen, aerobic bacteria were prevented from decaying the organic matter after it was buried under a layer of sediment or water. However, anaerobic bacteria were able to reduce sulfates and nitrates among the matter to H2S and N2 respectively by using the matter as a source for other reactants. Due to such anaerobic bacteria, at first, this matter began to break apart mostly via hydrolysis: polysaccharides and proteins were hydrolyzed to simple sugars and amino acids respectively. These were further anaerobically oxidized at an accelerated rate by the enzymes of the bacteria: e.g., amino acids went through oxidative deamination to imino acids, which in turn reacted further to ammonia and α-keto acids. Monosaccharides in turn ultimately decayed to CO2 and methane. The anaerobic decay products of amino acids, monosaccharides, phenols and aldehydes combined into fulvic acids. Fats and waxes were not extensively hydrolyzed under these mild conditions.[79]

Kerogen formation
Some phenolic compounds produced from previous reactions worked as bactericides and the actinomycetales order of bacteria also produced antibiotic compounds (e.g., streptomycin). Thus the action of anaerobic bacteria ceased at about 10 m below the water or sediment. The mixture at this depth contained fulvic acids, unreacted and partially reacted fats and waxes, slightly modified lignin, resins and other hydrocarbons.[79] As more layers of organic matter settled into the sea or lake bed, intense heat and pressure built up in the lower regions.[80] As a consequence, compounds of this mixture began to combine in poorly understood ways to kerogen. Combination happened in a similar fashion as phenol and formaldehyde molecules react to urea-formaldehyde resins, but kerogen formation occurred in a more complex manner due to a bigger variety of reactants. The total process of kerogen formation from the beginning of anaerobic decay is called diagenesis, a word that means a transformation of materials by dissolution and recombination of their constituents.[79]

Transformation of kerogen into fossil fuels
Kerogen formation continued to a depth of about 1 km from the Earth's surface where temperatures may reach around 50 °C. Kerogen formation represents a halfway point between organic matter and fossil fuels: kerogen can be exposed to oxygen, oxidize and thus be lost, or it could be buried deeper inside the Earth's crust and be subjected to conditions which allow it to slowly transform into fossil fuels like petroleum. The latter happened through catagenesis in which the reactions were mostly radical rearrangements of kerogen. These reactions took thousands to millions of years and no external reactants were involved. Due to the radical nature of these reactions, kerogen reacted towards two classes of products: those with low H/C ratio (anthracene or products similar to it) and those with high H/C ratio (methane or products similar to it); i.e., carbon-rich or hydrogen-rich products. Because catagenesis was closed off from external reactants, the resulting composition of the fuel mixture was dependent on the composition of the kerogen via reaction stoichiometry. Three types of kerogen exist: type I (algal), II (liptinic) and III (humic), which were formed mainly from algae, plankton and woody plants (this term includes trees, shrubs and lianas) respectively.[79]

Catagenesis was pyrolytic despite the fact that it happened at relatively low temperatures (when compared to commercial pyrolysis plants) of 60 to several hundred °C. Pyrolysis was possible because of the long reaction times involved. Heat for catagenesis came from the decomposition of radioactive materials of the crust, especially 40K, 232Th, 235U and 238U. The heat varied with geothermal gradient and was typically 10–30 °C per km of depth from the Earth's surface. Unusual magma intrusions, however, could have created greater localized heating.[79]

Oil window (temperature range)
Geologists often refer to the temperature range in which oil forms as an "oil window".[81][82][79] Below the minimum temperature oil remains trapped in the form of kerogen. Above the maximum temperature the oil is converted to natural gas through the process of thermal cracking. Sometimes, oil formed at extreme depths may migrate and become trapped at a much shallower level. The Athabasca Oil Sands are one example of this.[79]

################

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2023 06:37PM by anybody.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 07:17PM

I know. I know. Well most of words. Please don't make me take a test on that. But it doesn't address quantity.

And, why do Christians burn fossil fuels?
They are trying to destroy the evidence!

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: December 14, 2023 01:06PM

Dinosaurs were around for 165 million years…we’ve only been around for 100,000 years or so…oops I mean 6,000!!!
165 million years of dead dinosaurs ads up.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 14, 2023 01:59PM

Not to mention about 350 million additional years of lots of plants and animals living and dying on earth. I don't know if the 4 billion years of single-celled organisms added to petroleum stocks or not.

Compared to the amount of time it took to create the oil deposits around the world, we are burning through them at a furious rate. Whether it takes another 50 years or 500 years or 5,000 years to deplete most of the world's oil reserves, all of those periods are just an eye blink in geologic time scales.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 05:40PM

I have evangelical Christian cousins who believe the 6000 year old shit. It's not worth it to try and reason with them. They damn near vapor locked when the toured the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 06:44PM

I'm sure your evangelical cousins would enjoy seeing the baby dinosaurs in that Noah's Ark Experience in Kentucky. My True Believing Mormon relatives claimed that seeing dinosaurs in that exhibit was really faith promoting.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 14, 2023 06:08PM

They're from W Virginia so I wouldn't doubt they've been there

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 13, 2023 07:25PM

Magic!
The same way Christ promised us 3x’s in the Bible we could move mountains with faith alone.

Date: December 14, 2023 01:21PM

the age / origin of Earth is now a 'no touch/don't ask' subject with ChurchCo, like so many others, including:

Was the African/black PH prohibition a revelation or cultural?
Same question as to the change.

Was advice regarding different sexual expressions a revelation or only cultural?

What about the 'translation' of the Book of Mormon?
What happened to the plates, Where was the hill Cumorah?

Why is the name "Mormon" now a disgrace?

When will church finances be disclosed?

Was the Book of Abraham of divine or otherwise?

What about completing the JS 'inspired' version?

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: December 14, 2023 01:33PM

Stock TBM answer: we don't know but those things aren't necessary for our salvation, therefore it doesn't matter. Everything will be revealed on the other side. Just pay, pray and obey until then.

Date: December 14, 2023 03:09PM

If ChurchCo expects to have my butt in their seat and my $ in their account, they (ChurchCo & their franchisees (wards & stakes) MUST provide me with the level of Credibility/Trust THAT I REQUIRE!

Date: December 14, 2023 03:10PM

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 14, 2023 07:25PM

True, however, first they gotta quit singing the praises of a GD serial rapist, and quit being a magnet for pedophiles for me to bring my family anywhere near the Abusive Doomsday CULT of Joseph’s Myth.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 14, 2023 08:31PM

God created crude oil grades one through four.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.