Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 01:03PM

For those who are interested...

In 2020, I decided to learn how to play guitar. I've been making slow but steady progress. My awesome exmo husband decided it was time I got an upgraded instrument. Today, we went to Wiesbaden and bought a beautiful new Breedlove acoustic guitar with steel strings. The guy set it up for me while we walked around the Christmas market.

https://breedlovemusic.com/product/pursuit-exotic-s-concert-earthsong

It's an improvement over my Fender Malibu Classic, if only because it won't be so hard to put new strings on it, and it has a cut out! I figure if I ever manage to play barre chords in time, I'll be ready to play on YouTube.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 01:16PM

I have a friend that was going to teach me bass guitar. But he's too busy with family. His gf is about 6 months along. So there is a delay. He was going to teach me because he and I would play 'Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway' by Al Di Meola.

Ahhh. Those are good memories. Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 01:30PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 16, 2023 01:21PM

I’d love to play bass guitar. I’d also love to play banjo. But I gotta get a little better at regular guitar first. I’ve gotten so I can play rhythm pretty decently on a lot of songs, as long as the chords aren’t too complicated.

This is strictly for fun… my little mid life crisis project!

Date: December 16, 2023 01:28PM

How Incubus plays all the funky chords. He actually didn't remember that he needed access to a whammy bar. He said 'Really? I completely forgot! Thanks man!'. He's the guitar guy. It was interesting to me, because I have never touched a guitar, let alone play one. Hehe!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 01:29PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 16, 2023 05:20PM

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 01:15PM

I built a bass a few years ago out of parts (Warmoth neck and body, a la carte hardware). But I never really played it.

Ironically, just yesterday I was thinking about selling it on eBay, and wondered about trying to sell it intact, or part it out, sort of the way I bought it. ??

I like it, but like someone else mentioned, I've just got too many things going on.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 01:35PM

I had a black 72 Les Paul Custom I loved. It was the first good guitar I had and I bought it used for $230 in 1981. I had a 72 Marshall big box 50 watt head and a cab full black back speakers.

I sold the Les Paul for a pretty good profit but have missed it. I was smart enough to keep The Marshall half stack. I had the amp recapped but the Telefunkin and Bugal Boy tubes were still good. The amp is sounding great.

I found another nice Les Paul Custom to play. Unfortunately it cost more than $230 but I think it sounds better and plays better than the one I had. It's lighter. My 72 weighed around ten pounds.

Put a nice pedal board together and everything sounds great. Still have my pedals from the 80's when I used to play a lot of post punk stuff.

Date: December 16, 2023 01:49PM

so much stuff. Guitar, genealogies, AS degrees.., but I realize I don't have time for everything. I need to pick one thing, instead of half assing it.

What do you expect, I'm a Gemini

Date: December 16, 2023 01:51PM

Bwahahahaha! I’m a Gemini, too, although born on the cusp. I totally relate.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 02:19PM

I play everyday to unwind. Thank God for the Fryette Power Station. That keeps my wife happy. Amazing device. You can tame a roaring amp to sane levels and not have the tone go to hell.

Date: December 17, 2023 03:25PM

Ooh! Another toy to investigate!

Date: December 19, 2023 01:23PM

I've started to do the same. Hadn't played much in about ten years. Music is a good stress reliever!

Date: December 19, 2023 01:21PM

My first nice guitar was a 60s vintage Fender Esquire (basically a dressed up Telecaster). It was nice, but I wanted something a little more versatile, so I traded it for a Kramer Strat clone and an amp. That was back in the late 80s.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 03:20PM

Breedlove makes good reasonably priced guitars. Hope you enjoy it. Does it have a pick-up? A friend that I play together with at summer events, bars etc has a son who is a professional recording artist, he's been sponsored by Taylor for several years, but a while ago Breedlove sent him several guitars as a sponsor to expose their affordable models. He gave it to his dad, and I've played it a lot. Including at my father in-laws funeral in a mormon chapel. (Sometime around the late 70s guitars were banned in LDS chapels but a lot of local Bishops ignored the rule.)

Date: December 16, 2023 03:52PM

Yes, it has a pickup and a much nicer tuner than my Fender Malibu Classic has. The music shop we went to didn’t have a huge selection of guitars. It’s a really small shop. But the guy played the one we bought, and a slightly less expensive Breedlove guitar that was a little smaller. I went for the bigger one because it had a noticeably nicer sound.

I tried it tonight and it was easier to play, too. However, getting used to the headstock is going to take awhile. On my other guitar, the strings are all adjusted on one side.

I hadn’t heard of Breedlove before tonight.

Weird that guitars would be banned in church! It’s probably easier to find guitar accompanists!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 04:16PM by knotheadusc.

Date: December 16, 2023 04:38PM

going to church, and hearing guitar music with a choir. That would be awesome! My friend is actually part of two separate bands. Imagine putting three hundred songs in your brain overall 3 day period.

Let me know what I can listen to of your YT!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 04:49PM

Rock 'n roll is of the devil!

Date: December 16, 2023 05:07PM

I would be in a Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway. Lolol

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 03:27PM

I will look forward to your playing on YT! I am a couple behind but I always watch them :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 05:06PM

Ditto!

Knotty is someone who will appreciate and use it well!

Date: December 16, 2023 05:12PM

Thank you for being a friend! ;)

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 05:42PM

Is it possible to play a sad song on a banjo?

Date: December 16, 2023 07:09PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 07:29PM

Kentish Wrote:
------------------------
> Is it possible to play
> a sad song on a banjo?

When they play "Taps" at a graveside ceremony in Kentucky, everybody remains solemn, no matter how much their leg muscles start twitching...

Date: December 16, 2023 07:58PM

Oh yeah, lots of blues songs originated on the banjo.

Trouble on my mind

and Sweet Sunny South are two I know.

Date: December 16, 2023 08:24PM

Date: December 17, 2023 01:49AM

Alison Krauss has a number of sad songs in her repertoire with Union Station, and quite a few feature the banjo. I got into bluegrass after discovering her years ago, and have found some other great artists who show off the many moods of their instruments.

Date: December 17, 2023 11:53AM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 12:44PM

I think songs (words) sung to a banjo can be sad but to me the banjo sound can never be sad. It is not in its dna.

Date: December 18, 2023 12:59PM

It's called Banjo Boy on the Simplify album

Here's the link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CG4Xu5p-I&pp=ygUVUnlhbiBzaHVwZSBwbGF5IGJhbmpv

The Live albums are bad ass! The 2nd one is.... Wow.

This what I needed today. I need to listen to all the albums now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2023 01:55PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 19, 2023 01:13PM

Nice! I've been looking at their 12 strings. I have my late brother's, which I love, but hate taking out of the house, so I've been thinking about getting a decent one that I'd be less attached to in case something happens to it.

Last time I played out with some friends, we stuck our stuff in a back room while we ate dinner, and when we came back it was gone!! Fortunately, someone had just moved it farther back, but the moment of panic was scary.

Date: December 19, 2023 01:20PM

Date: December 20, 2023 12:51AM

After a few days of playing my new guitar, I am happy to report that I love the way it sounds. And I love how different instruments have different voices.

My husband might be getting back into the swing of things, soon. He restrung my first guitar the other day. It had been three years since they were last changed, because I haven’t been playing it. It has nylon strings.

Date: December 21, 2023 03:11PM

I'm really beginning to want to get a music theory book.

Congrats on the tuned strings!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2023 03:16PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 21, 2023 05:15PM

When I taught guitar lessons years ago this was the place to start.

https://www.aaronshearerfoundation.org/asf-bookstore2/basic-elements-of-music-theory-for-guitar/

It might be a little bit challenging without a teacher to explain the revalance of what you are learning. Music theory lets you build upon your knowledge to play whatever you hear or whatever you want to express.

There are lots of good videos on you tube on basic music theory, the problem is there are lots of really bad videos, and one can waste a lot of time. Rick Beato has a quite involved text, I've seen parts of it that are pretty good, but I'm not sure it's worth spending for the whole package.

Date: December 21, 2023 11:47PM

No, that guitar ordinarily uses nylon strings. I don’t play it very often, because it doesn’t have a strap and tends to fall off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.