Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 07:46PM

Pastor or witch doctor? First it was snakes, now it's worms — all for the glory of the Savior. And he also says "Jesus turns us as white as snow..."

++You can't make this stuff up.

############

Dr. Joe Aguillard, the President of Louisiana College, eats a real live worm in chapel. Looks like he almost chokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhGBTMnVf0

############

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 07:49PM

There is no way I'm clicking on that link. LOL Reading your comment was bad enough!

I wonder why this song popped into my head:

Nobody likes me
Everybody hates me
Guess I'll go eat worms
Big, fat, juicy ones
Long, thin, slimey ones
Itsy bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms
Down goes the first one
Down goes the second one
Oh, how they wiggle and squirm!

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 08:38PM

Date: December 16, 2023 09:30PM

dagny Wrote:

> Nobody likes me
> Everybody hates me
> Guess I'll go eat worms
> Big, fat, juicy ones
> Long, thin, slimey ones
> Itsy bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms
> Down goes the first one
> Down goes the second one
> Oh, how they wiggle and squirm!

Eeeewwwwww....

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 09:36PM

Seconding dagny's sentiment about not clicking on the link. That's exactly what I was just going to write. (Except not the truly horrible stupid silly little thing that passes for a song - that, I would have left out - especially as I'm just going to eat dinner - ick doesn't begin to cover it).

For what ungodly reason would this pastor do such a thing? What was the sermon meant to mean?

If I were married to this preacher man I would ban him from the house for a week, at least, until for sure the digestive process was well and truly completed.

Just ugh.

What on earth would his congregation be thinking I'm wondering.

What was the point of it? Does anybody know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 09:38PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 09:42PM

From watching the video, it appears that he is using the worm to represent sin, and swallowing it represents Jesus "Devouring the sin"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 08:53PM

Protein

Date: December 16, 2023 09:00PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 09:01PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 17, 2023 02:38AM

I usually wash them before eating them.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 10:21PM

Louisiana College changed its name in 2021 to Louisiana Christian University.

"Louisiana Christian University is a private Baptist university in Pineville, Louisiana. It enrolls 1,100 to 1,200 students. It is affiliated with the Louisiana Baptist Convention." (Wiki)

"Louisiana Christian University is a private institution that was founded in 1906. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 832 (fall 2022), and the campus size is 81 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Louisiana Christian University's ranking in the 2024 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities South, #105. Its tuition and fees are $19,720." (USN&WR)

#105 in Regional Universities, South? For 20 grand a year? Now *that's* bang for the buck!

Aguillard was LC prez 2005-14 at which time he was bounced by the trustees for some shady stuff regarding accreditation. (Wiki)

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 10:43PM

This story is 12 years old. Do you troll the net looking for such stories? I think you needle is stuck.

Date: December 16, 2023 11:06PM

James Carville mentioned him during a talk recently about the danger of white "christian" nationalism and I had to see it for myself.

If this doesn't convince you that these people are just freaking nuts -- aside from the racism and obsession with gay and trans people -- I don't know what else will.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 11:10PM by anybody.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 10:24AM

It tends to convince me more of your Christophobia than anything else as the world you present is so outside my own experience.

Posted by: Methodist in the Madness ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 10:50AM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It tends to convince me more of your Christophobia
> than anything else as the world you present is so
> outside my own experience.

Well, at least it wasn't political. Anybody with half a brain knows these people aren't the problem but people on committees who want to "help".

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 11:14AM

When you are personally affected by religious people who insist that everyone bend to their beliefs and values, it tends to color your thinking. With women's loss of reproductive rights in the U.S., I'm a whole lot less sympathetic to Christianity than I used to be.

I recently mentioned on a local message board that the loss of reproductive rights would forevermore affect my voting decisions. I wasn't trying to tell other people how to vote, just sharing my own point of view. And a bunch of other board members about lost their minds that I'm pro-reproductive rights. They really can't tolerate people who believe differently than them. Or who will vote accordingly.

What I didn't share is that along with that, I think that the U.S. should quit giving tax deductions for churches, but only for the churches' charitable arms (as Australia does.) I knew that wouldn't go over well. But actions have consequences. TSCC found this out when they tried to ban baptisms for children of gay parents.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 03:51PM

And that is why mormons funnel a lot of the charity money through AU.

Date: December 17, 2023 06:16PM

or experienced from watching documentaries on PBS or the History Channel.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that overnight we'd be back in the "Call Jane" era.

The most depressing and insane thing is that they don't stop. It's like some kind of madness with them. That's where the religious angle comes in. They made up a god and a religion that justifies whatever they think or want to do to others -- racism ordained by god, race "mixing" is a "sin," women exist only as empty vessels or pleasure objects for men, women are legally "dead" and have no agency apart from their husbands or male relatives, 2SLGBTQIA+ persecuted or put to death, ya ya ya

Date: December 18, 2023 01:13AM

Yup. I was alive back then and remember it well. It was also an era when unmarried women could not get the pill, and if you wanted to share an apartment with your boyfriend, you had to pretend to be engaged.

Date: December 18, 2023 02:16AM

1972...What I don't get is why people born after this or were too young to remember want to go back. Because a religion tells them they will burn in hell if they don't?

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/599274-single-women-were-given-the-right-to-birth-control-50-years/

Though married couples were given the legal right to contraception through the 1965 decision, Griswold v. Connecticut, single women didn’t obtain these rights until the Supreme Court’s 1972 decision in Eisenstadt v. Baird.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/living/sixties-women-5-things/index.html

Can you imagine pregnancy being a fireable offense? How about job security hinging on your weight or the softness of your hands? What if you couldn’t open a bank account or establish a line of credit unless you had a husband to cosign for you? What if you had the grades to attend a school like Princeton, but your gender kept you on the other side of those hallowed, ivy-covered halls?

It was not so long ago that this was the reality for women. If you’re 45 or older, you were born into this world.

When President John F. Kennedy established the Commission on the Status of Women in 1961, he appointed Eleanor Roosevelt as chairwoman. In a televised 1962 discussion with Roosevelt, Kennedy stated, “We want to be sure that women are used as effectively as they can to provide a better life for our people, in addition to meeting their primary responsibility, which is in the home.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2023 02:24AM by anybody.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 02:19AM

Don't get too comfortable, In a recent concurring opinion Judge Clarence Thomas wrote that Griswold should be reconsidered.

Date: December 18, 2023 07:54AM

No right of refusal? Go back before the Renaissance to the Dark Ages?

Where does it end?

I remember seeing Lysistrata for the first time on stage at university. The in-joke was that proper women had no existence outside of the home and men didn't have romance or sex for pleasure with their wives anyway. That's what the heterae and boys were for.

All this is just additional evidence that the real goal is control over bodily autonomy. Religion is just the ways and means.

############

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/03616843221091116

Historical Underpinnings and the Modern Purity Movement

The Christian purity movement first rose in influence during the 1970s as an evangelical reaction to the free love movement, pro-choice, and birth control activism of the sexual revolution (Anderson, 2015; Latour, 2020; Moslener, 2015). Evangelicalism is a worldwide, trans-denominational movement within Protestant Christianity. It differs from other forms of Christianity based on the focus of converting other faith groups to a belief of salvation through Jesus Christ and commonly upholds literal interpretations of the Bible (Lewis & Pierard, 2014). The evangelical purity movement grew in popularity during the 1990s/2000s, targeting youth groups across the country. Purity culture has become the term used for the evangelical movement that promotes a biblical view of sexual purity by requiring strict adherence to sexual abstinence before marriage and supporting only heterosexual, married, and monogamous forms of sexual activity (Latour, 2020). The ethics of purity spans various religious sects. For example, Mormons use the word worthiness instead of purity, while Muslims say honor culture instead of purity culture (Klein, 2021). In the current study, we emphasize the construct of purity culture within evangelical Christianity specifically.

Gender and sexual control are at the crux of the ethics of purity. Unique to this movement are the types of tools and practices used to enforce gender and sexual control. Popularized modalities for circulating the purity movement rhetoric led to a “sex obsessed culture of chastity, including purity balls, virginity clubs, and ritualized celibacy pledges” (Fahs, 2010, p. 117). The most notable of these was the Southern Baptist Convention’s creation of the True Love Waits campaign, launched in 1993 and known for large gatherings of teens making public displays of their abstinence commitments (Moslener, 2015). It is noteworthy that this same organization, the Southern Baptist denomination, helped define the history of American racism through its advocacy for segregation and support of the enslavement of African Americans, dating back to 1860 (Green, 2020).

############

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2023 08:01AM by anybody.

Date: December 17, 2023 12:05PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2023 12:07PM by anybody.

Date: December 17, 2023 02:17PM

Again you miss my point. Are there seemingly "different" people within churches? Of course, but no more than in any other defined group. I think you would find it pretty tiresome if I constantly posted all the positive things I see happening in and through churches.

Date: December 17, 2023 04:14PM

I'm talking about a group of people who, just like Mormons, who call themselves "christians" as a badge or label to (a) justify their own peculiar mores, hatreds, and prejudices, (b) graft and scams, and (c) force everyone else to live and think as they do no matter if you want to or not.

Mormons: "we're not different or weird, we're 'christians!'" (until we want you give 10% of your income for life and do crazy stuff in the temple)

(white nationalist extremist) Evangelicals: "we're the *real* 'christians,' every one else is going to burn in hell, we're persecuted (because no one else wants to be like us even though we will force them to)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2023 04:48PM by anybody.

Date: December 17, 2023 05:17PM

I think I'll just go beat my head against a wall.

Date: December 17, 2023 05:43PM

You two are describing different Christianities. I think you are both right.

Date: December 17, 2023 06:01PM

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 09:32AM

LW his rightness or wrongness is not the point I have been trying to make. It's his incessant one topic drumbeat in virtually every post.

Date: December 18, 2023 11:00AM

When nudged, Anybody freely acknowledges your form of Christianity too.

Sometimes it's not the equation itself that people focus on but the derivative, the rate of change in a variable. Given what today's Christian activists are doing to women's and others' rights, it's inevitable that people will emphasize their behavior over yours.

Redefining traditional Christianity may in fact be one of the activists' motivations.

Date: December 17, 2023 02:36PM

"christian nationalist" = theo-nazi.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 12:59AM

"Gusanos de maguey" are a delicacy that I passed on; one pulls them out of maguey 'leaves' and then one fries and eats them with beans and rice...while I just watch.

I also passed on escargots cuz I'm a spoiled only child...

...passed on live aphids on a corn tortilla with salsa, too ... watched a guy pay to eat a tortilla's worth!  Obviously, I'm no Uruguayan soccer player on vacation in Peru.

But yeah, insects and their sultry, and sometimes swarthy, proteins are quite likely to be part of mankind's festive future.  Just wait'll they figure out how to make aged-in-oak cockroach liquors!

Posted by: Miss Hap ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 07:35AM

I can see this being the next big thing. Don't eat cows, eat worms. They produce less carbon!

Alongside the "Beyond Meat" burger, you will be able to buy a "Vermiburga".

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 12:21PM

I prefer my worm(s) processed in the blender with parsley in clouded, oregano occasionally...

Hey, some folks eat snails 'escargot', but I don't include religion or anyone else's beliefs so I'm ok.

/sarcasm

Date: December 17, 2023 12:28PM

What about children seeing this?

Will they copy / mimic this afterwards?

Did the 'pastor' give prior notice so as not to offend the squeamish?

100 % BIZARRE, No redeeming value or benefit.

Posted by: anon 4 this really bad joke ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 04:18PM

Q: What do Joe Aguillard and the Holy Roman Empire in 1521 have in common?

A: Both of them had a Diet of Worms.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 04:33PM

Please don't be too hasty to dismiss this as conspiracy theory, but the Davos/World Economic Forum/"Great Reset" crowd are very big on reducing (red) meat consumption. To reduce cow farts, all that. It's part of the smaller population "sustainable" planet vision. To that end, they are advancing more than the "BeyondMeatBurger" to introducing inspects in the diet.

If you think this is just some extremist visionary concept, think again: the European Community has already approved insect protein as approved protein source. Right now it's only an ingredient, but that's just for openers. (Open wide!) And yes, plans for including Lumbricus Terrestris are in the works. Not that (p)msNBC are addressing this. Thanks, EOD, for reminding us that worms are used as a food source, and not just in tequila. Why should 3rd-world folks monopolize the delicacy.

And why is Bill Gates buying up all that farmland, anyway?

Remember, these are the people who fly private jets, which produce more CO2 in a flight than you and I do in a year, so they can feast on Wagyu beef prepared on gas stoves and tell us why our consumer lifestyle is evil and must be cut back.

I remember a meme: A man is at a fast food counter, and tells the attendant: "I just got an upgrade in my Social Credit Score. I believe I'm entitled to three more crickets in my sandwich."

But above all this, it's important to remember that Christians are not just repulsive, but the real enemy to correct-thinking people.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 05:06PM

Seems that earthworms are suitable for human consumption.

Don't know if it's considered vegan or not, but it could reduce greenhouse gases.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-worms

Date: December 17, 2023 05:31PM

How disgusting. Oh yeah! I'm really going to eat a worm to prove my point!

yuck!

Date: December 17, 2023 05:36PM

You would rather eat something that comes out of a chicken's ass ?

Date: December 17, 2023 05:51PM

Date: December 17, 2023 06:10PM

I don’t think (?) eggs come out of chickens ass, but I haven’t watched that done; regardless, the inside of an egg is clean.

Date: December 17, 2023 06:24PM

'Lights are green, [asses] are clean!'- Ghostbusters

I should not remember stuff like that!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 07:51PM

Actually they do - eggs and waste products all pass through the cloaca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmDVs7qPUaw

Date: December 17, 2023 08:57PM

There are a lot of parts of the world where they eat "alternative proteins". It really is no big deal to them. This idiot preacher made it a thing by the way he did it.

Date: December 18, 2023 01:07AM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 05:29AM

My father , now retired aged 92, was a medical journalist. His "party trick" at the medical conferences he covered with other journalists was to gather bets that he would not eat an earthworm and then proceed to do so, to his profit.

Apparently, they just taste of earth.

Date: December 18, 2023 06:48AM

And then there is escargot :)

"In addition to being rich in protein, snails are basically free of fat, carbohydrates, and sugar (the sauce they're served in is another story, though on their own, these guys are as healthy as it gets). Snails are also rich in iron, magnesium, and other healthy minerals."

Date: December 18, 2023 09:37AM

I love escargot, but I can't think too much about it while I'm eating. lol

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.