Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 06:13PM

Based on the Apostle throwing Kimball under a Ferrari, it's going to be dead in 100 years or less. Membership is falling, missionaries are sick of the 'marvelous work' that they are doing.

I served at the FHL, since I had such 'expertise' in extracting names. I dare to say that every new roll of microfilm goes through a name extractor. People are already done by the time the film gets to the FHL.

Had tons of film coming in, because of submissions. Categorizing, entering in the computers, labeling, and all extra stuff.

I loved it, until we got to heraldry. That sucked.

I believe that Gen Z will be the ones to kill the church, just out of general principle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2023 06:27PM by lousyleper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 06:53PM

and his status will be zero. I tend to wonder why church leaders live so long. My dad wasn't afraid to die nor was my mother. They died 2 months apart. But those old geezers that are the royalty of mormonism seem afraid to die.

My uncle was a SP and he was SO SCARED TO DIE per his daughter. He hung on in a nursing home for quite a few years. My dad was never in a nursing home and my mother for a few days is all.

Rusty is hanging on as long as he can as I'm sure he knows he isn't anything to anyone.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 12:50AM

I just think it's a shame that the Q15 never get to rest. They've worked all of their lives and never get to just relax. My brother is in his late 70s, and I couldn't imagine him still working. He's still physically active, but his time is his own now. He has really enjoyed his retirement. Holding a job in your 90s? Insane.

I felt sorry for that new apostle that was just called -- Patrick Kearon. He seems like a decent enough fellow. He will never get to retire.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 02:48AM

It's the life they wanted, the life for which they strove. Every single one of them chose their present status year in and out for decades.

They neither want nor deserve sympathy.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 09:00AM

Even when I was a TBM, the thought of being a GA never appealed to me. I thought it would be hell to always have to be “perfect” - to never go to a movie on Sunday, to never drink a Coke or Dr. Pepper in public (back when those were frowned upon), to never cuss if you felt frustrated, etc.

Yes, they are financially rewarded very richly, but how much do they get to enjoy their money? I think the real appeal is the adoration they get from the members. I’m sure that having people fawn over you because they “know” that you’re one of god’s chosen is addicting to them.

Date: December 18, 2023 03:17PM

Agreed, their lifestyle was always unattractive; and yes, they chose it and hence are getting their just deserts.

I know, for instance, that the men in my extended family who rose to relatively high levels in the church did so ruthlessly and at great expense to their families. And it happened over decades, meaning that they had countless opportunities to reconsider.

But they did not.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 03:08AM

There is precedent, even fir the 12, to resign, be given emeritus status or even be released.

Not happened in the last few decades, but with Rusty's continuous restoration policy, it could.

Date: December 18, 2023 11:03AM

I say in the name of bacon cheeseburgers, that the church will die in 100 years, or it will boil in cheesy goodness when things drastically change.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 04:47PM

You have to wonder how busy they really are. If you were to make diary the daily life of an apostle for a month, or even a week, how many hours do they actually spend doing "church work"?

Sure, their weekends are usually toast due stake conferences and such. So they have to miss out on grandkids and such. And I'm sure they have meetings off and on during the week. And responsibilities to get inspired to call missionaries from a computer screen. So I am sure there is lots going on. But is it 20, 30, 40, or 80 hours a week? I'd guess it's in the 30 ballpark.

And I wouldn't necessarily count travel time. They get to go to some pretty amazing places to dedicate all these splendid temples and such.

Are there any opinions..or even better indirect knowledge?

FC

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 11:34PM

My dad never retired. He liked what he did. He was a workaholic and liked it that way. Nothing drove that man more crazy than sitting on a beach doing nothing.

Date: December 18, 2023 11:44PM

I don’t worry about the church. It’s going to outlast me. The best revenge is living well. The church is like being trapped in an elevator with a big greasy fart. As soon as you can you get out of there and get away. You never want to go back to it and you are glad you are away.

Now fart reeking elevators will always be there but as long as you aren’t stuck in one life is good.

Date: December 18, 2023 11:46PM

New con jobs will continue to pop up. The bullshit just changes. UFO and New Age are the new scams. Christ base scams don’t sell like they used to.

Posted by: Wasatch Now ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 06:36AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New con jobs will continue to pop up. The bullshit
> just changes. UFO and New Age are the new scams.
> Christ base scams don’t sell like they used to.

They seem to work for Joel Osteen and Kenneth Copeland.

Date: December 19, 2023 02:28PM

Where do you think the busywork comes from. There has got to be a trickle down effect. If the 70 and Q15 don't get any time, you've gotta figure that busywork comes from somewhere.

If that is the case, imagine if everyone called in sick, including Rusty Dusty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2023 02:32PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 01:22AM

I'm of the impression that the contract that NDA-signing, instant millionaire, called-by-ghawd, witnesses to the name of Jesus H. Christ are NOT allowed to post online without first running it by Jesus H. Christ's law firm, Kirtland-McCosto.

As sincerely as I am capable of being, I believe that the knowledge that I would never agree to such a stipulation attached to my apostleship is why I haven't been called yet.

...Maybe they'd put up with me, but no way in ghawd's green Celestial Kingdom would they put up with Judic West.

See...?  I put you guys ahead of the entire mormon church!

Of course, it's also possible that they hold a grudge for the messing around I did with "Where da White women?!!?"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 01:25AM

Not to mention that your golf handicap would take a serious hit!

Date: December 18, 2023 01:30AM

> As sincerely as I am capable of being, I believe
> that the knowledge that I would never agree to
> such a stipulation attached to my apostleship is
> why I haven't been called yet.

You just stick by that phone, Jesus. But be sure not to dial "M" since that could result in another delay.

-------------
> Of course, it's also possible that they hold a
> grudge for the messing around I did with "Where da
> White women?!!?"

At least you stopped scalping people. That must count for something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2023 01:31AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 02:27PM

There's got to be a "counting coup" joke hiding in there somewhere. :)

Date: December 18, 2023 02:32PM

Sadly, when I heard Wilt Chamberlin's "coup count" my eyes crossed and I fainted dead away...

Date: December 18, 2023 03:22PM

Like his 1954 Coupe Deville, every day of Jesus's life is a blow against good taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2023 03:47PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 01:56AM

The Church is brain dead but its body lives on.

Date: December 18, 2023 02:38AM

"The mormon money train rumbles on, with the money managers in the locomotive doing the important work for the church, while the spiritual leaders sit in the caboose, wondering where they're going and when they'll get there..."

--Judic West, Loco and motiveless

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 10:40AM

It's the only reason modern LDS Mormonism still exists.

Expect a long steady decline.

Date: December 18, 2023 12:02PM

The church just changes. People thought the church would fall apart after Joseph Smith was gone. Technically the church he organized did fall apart but Brigham Young ran with the concept and grew it into his own version of it.

People said as soon as Brigham dies there will be a power struggle and the church will fall apart.

The apostolic succession system proved to work very well. Debt was another church problem but that was solved by cash tithing and successful money management.

The church now is a financially successful corporation that still has a religious element to it. Even if many members leave the church will still exist.

Unless there is some massive extermination event the church will still be here in 100 years. It might be very different but it still will be around.

Date: December 18, 2023 12:08PM

Just to scare the Q15 before they are beheaded. Gross I know.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 05:26PM

Flesh eating cockroaches? Oh, pshaw. This is Utah. Killer Brine Shrimp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5zhmbS2mSE

Date: December 18, 2023 11:17PM

Date: December 18, 2023 11:33PM

Looks like the Chungking Mansions in Hong Kong back in the day, when Blade Runner was a definite step up.

Date: December 19, 2023 01:27PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2023 02:21PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: Corey ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 08:03AM

The church knows it can buy anything in this world for money.

Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 04:45PM

With 100 billion in the basement of LDS Inc and lots of people working and depending on LDS Inc.for income (Chruch HQ, BYU, farms etc.), it will be a long time until it's gone. They could run the whole thing at 5 billion a year at 5% on the 100 billion forever, even if no one ever paid tithes again.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 04:55PM

Long overdue.
Shoulda died with Joseph’s Myth.

Date: January 13, 2024 07:22PM

Money in a religion goes a long way. Lawsuits will force them to plug the leaks. Expecting the church to go broke is wishful thinking.

Date: January 13, 2024 08:20PM

The church dies when nobody wants to belong to it.

Date: January 13, 2024 09:33PM

And when the GAs run out of toadies. How long will that be?

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 05:31AM

The modern church would be unrecognizable to JS. He would condemn it for trying to copy the churches he wanted to leave.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.