Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 11:47AM

Headline : "Pope officially allows priests to bless same-sex couples"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 11:50AM

Means they have finally elevated same-sex couples to be on par with a sneeze.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 02:29PM

D&D is absolutely going to win comment of the month for December, and thus is in the running for comment of the year, and will definitely get my vote.

IsaythisinthenameofJesusHChistamen.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 11:52AM

It actually means anything you can imagine. It’s a magical fairy dust placebo for people who still think there is a God and he uses middle men.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 11:55AM

In the Catholic church, it operates pretty much the same way that it does for the Mormons. It's asking God to smile favorably on certain people or situations. The pope gives lots of blessings whenever he does a public appearance (whenever you see him extending his arm, and making the sign of the cross to the assembled crowd, he is giving a blessing.) He also does a blanket blessing for objects such as rosaries and Bibles. Every day that the pope is in residence at the Vatican, he blesses a pile of objects that Catholic pilgrims have left for him. They pick up those objects again each afternoon.

In this case, the pope is asking priests to not conduct the blessing like a wedding ceremony, but to instead use their judgment. It's hard to know all of the implications, being new, but it could possibly end up being rather like a ring ceremony outside of the temple for Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2023 11:58AM by summer.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 11:57AM

I was chuckling at that too. I'm surprised anyone gives a gopher's fart about a "blessing."

"I, your Catholic dude in a gown hereby "bless" you with the power of the Vatican Treehouse Club to be allowed to be gay!"

It sounds almost as important as when my granddaughter waves a Disneyland wand and gives you permission to enter her magic invisible castle.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 01:38PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 01:16PM

Gesundheit!

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 01:46PM

In French, the verb "blesser" means "to hurt."

On my mission, it was always funny in a facepalm way when a greenie would give a prayer in French, asking for god to "blesser" an investigator. Comp would immediately pivot to damage control.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 04:38PM

One of my Frech professors used to call those "faux amis" -- false friends.

Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 02:01PM

It means you have the approval of Mormon authorities. You have done something good in their eyes, like going on a mission, or paying your full tithe.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 05:02PM

For Catholicism, I'd say this is the ecclesiastical equivalent of secular/legal "domestic partnerships." The political um..."bestowing" authorities couldn't make it, or call it, "marriage," not at first, but they were sort of the next best thing--clearly a major step towards calling it, defining it, and recognizing it as "marriage."

No, it's not "marriage." Not yet. Just as political authorities were careful not to call domestic partnerships "marriage," Pope Marxcis was careful to qualify this: "As such, pastoral prudence must adequately discern whether there are forms of blessing, requested by one or several people, that do not convey a wrong idea of a matrimony. Because when one seeks a blessing, one is requesting help from God.”

Those finding fault with this are complaining that their glass is half empty. No: your glass is 3/4 full. Pope Marxcis was schooled in "liberation 'theology.'" It appears his doctrinal pedigree includes sexual liberation theology. Everybody knows the skids (and other...um...things) are liberally (pun intended) greased.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 05:26PM

You might want to step back from whatever overly right wing places you visit. Somehow you missed the idea that "sexual liberation theology" would include equality of women, and encouragement of women's reproductive choices.

I think are comparing crazy Catholic with extreme crazy Catholic, which is not the same as liberal anything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.