Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 03:17PM

I hate liver and onions. I hate raw sea urchin. I hate sea cucumbers. I hate poi. I hate pickled herring.

I despise these foods. My parents were Scandinavian so they loved pickled herring, head cheese and other disgusting Nordic foods. They would stink up the house.

Just because my parents and ancestors loved something doesn’t mean I like it or want it.

I find religion is like food. Pushing your religion you like on others thinking they have to have it, need it or will grow to love it is like pushing people to eat food they find discusting.

Go eat your food and keep it away from me and no I’m not going to try the green eggs and ham.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 03:47PM

Are there cultures whose people would look at a decently prepared double cheeseburger and quietly throw up in the back of their mouths?

Do Poppa, Mama, and baby Jesus ghawd plan on having In 'n Out burger stands in the CK?  Will that be one of the prizes of repentance and the 2nd Annoying, the gift of Double-Doubles for all Time and Eternity?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 04:36PM

My father loved canned peas. He also loved saying hour-long prayers at mealtimes. I had to endure both.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 10:52PM

canned peas. My dad didn't give the prayer very often. He called on my little sister every meal for a long time. It was a big joke. We'd all wait silently to see if he'd do it again and he would. It really was hilarious. He laughed as hard as we did.

My mother would make liver. I hated it. Sometimes they'd make us eat things we didn't like and other times they wouldn't. Once they had fried eggs for breakfast. I still don't like them. One day they left us at the table--the 3 older kids--and told us we had to eat our fried egg before we could leave the table. My older brother, of course, took either mine or my sister's egg and dragged it around on his plate and then threw his egg away and left. He was always teasing us. We adored him and we didn't tattle on him ever.

Then there was the time I was coming home from girls' camp with someone I didn't really know--myself and two of my friends. The mother said time for shake and bake (it was a long drive home). They handed us what looked like chicken. One of my friends just kept her mouth shut. I didn't find out for years that it was rabbit. It was very tough.

We don't eat lamb. Not one of us. We raised them. I don't even buy lamb dog food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2023 06:56PM by cl2.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 10:56PM

My mom and dad ate some things that they didn't force on the kids. I can't remember all of them, but liver and onions was one such dinner. My mom would give me ravioli in a can instead -- "Chef Boyardee." lol

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 06:56PM

Date: December 19, 2023 11:42PM

I imagine we all grow up
within a comfort zone of
comsumables ...

and then we go a mission.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 03:51PM

I ate very well on my mission. 1) I knew how to cook and could created copy cat versions of many dishes that weren't available in the Caribbean Islands, and 2) Caribbean food is delicious...we ate out now and then and had plenty of dinner invites from members.

Date: December 20, 2023 04:21PM

I want to suppose that you're the exception that proves the majority rules... or something like that...

I submit for your consideration, moderation, and admiration that the majority of missionaries encounter an "Ugh, I HATE _____!"
or in the alternative, "Ugh, what the FRICK is this garbage?!!" at least once during the mission experience.

Date: December 21, 2023 01:06PM

>> I want to suppose that you're the exception that proves the majority rules... or something like that... <<

I'm the exception that proves APs rule....or something like that.

Don't ever forget that.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 10:26PM

I was so hungry on my mission I loved whatever food I got. Going to a member's home was a real treat as good food was expensive for us, and they fed us like kings (kings who ate, cod, liver paste sandwiches, raw salmon, goat cheese,waffles, whale, wonderful breads and cookies, fish soup (yummm!) ). At Christmas one year a member family invited us for Christmas eve and had a huge pork roast, I had never seen one so large and asked the NOMO father, what kind of meat it was. "It's horse" he said joking, and I replied That's fricking good horse meat. He about choked to death laughing.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 01:03PM

I hated liver when I was a little kid. I never understood why my father ate it. Now I'm an adult and I still can't stand liver. If you like liver, I'll never be able to convince you it tastes awful. If you hate liver, nobody will ever convince you it tastes good.

Shared traditions contribute to a cohesive society. It's important not to throw out the baby with the bathwater; there are unintended consequences. Western society is subject to extremes. The previous generation did one or two things wrong, so we need to reject everything they ever did. Tear it all down!

Are we so sure we're going to avoid making the same or similar mistakes the previous generation made? Are we that amazing? What will the next generation reject?

Still, liver tastes awful.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 01:06PM

why didn't you mention Ludefisk?

Brussels sprouts, rutabaker, even cauliflower don't help me at all even though I know that cruciferous veggies are very healthy for people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2023 01:12PM by GNPE.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 02:52PM

I have read that farmers are breeding some of the yuck out of Brussels sprouts. Finally.

Date: December 20, 2023 03:20PM

They're cross-breeding it with pumpkin pie?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 03:49PM

Excellent analogy Rubicon.

Being forced to visit people you don't like and who don't want you coming to visit them.

Date: December 20, 2023 03:57PM

My older TBM brother would make his kids do anything they didn't want to do, whether it was jumping into a cold lake, kissing a dead fish, or eating something they didn't like.

His first kid hated fish. They went to a Skippers restaurant, even though he knew his kid hated it, he then proceeded to make him eat fish.

My nephew complied, gagging all the way until he finally puked all over the table. Upon seeing that, his younger brother puked too.

That nephew went to Finland on a mission, still hating fish and they eat a lot of it over there, but returned loving it. Go figure.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 04:18PM

My most hated food is mushrooms... I actually have a phobia of them. I thought I was alone until I saw a woman on Montel Williams who had the very same problem and even reacted the same way I did when I was very young. I wrote an article about it for Associated Content. She saw it, and sent me an email.

I remember my dad used to try to force me to eat mushrooms. The memory is still traumatic decades later... as is being forced to go to church and being punished physically when I tried to resist. But I was lucky enough to go to a Presbyterian church.

Date: December 20, 2023 04:27PM

Mycophobia. Good thing you don't have Citharaphobia!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 04:29PM

I have selective citharaphobia.

Date: December 21, 2023 11:06AM

So you'd be ok around some of my guitars, but not others? Good to know. But don't worry, I keep them all in their cases so they can't get out....you'd be safe.

Date: December 21, 2023 01:23AM

Yes... mycophobia. I didn't know it had a name until about fifteen years ago, when I found an article about it. Later, I wrote about my experiences with mycophobia and got so many comments from people with "food phobias". One lady wrote to me about how she had a phobia of oranges. It's been a source of a lot of awkward and embarrassing situations for me over the years. A lot of people have flat out laughed at me because of it. Over here in Europe, I've even gotten looks of horror and disgust when I've refused dishes with mushrooms or truffles.

I don't think I've ever liked mushrooms, but I got phobic when we lived in England. I was a toddler, and there were huge toadstools that grew in our backyard. My parents told me never to touch them because they were poisonous and would kill me. So that extended to all mushrooms. I also have three much older sisters, two of whom decided it would be funny to chase me with the toadstools. One of them used to draw shark teeth and mean faces on mushrooms in my coloring books. Keep in mind, I was 3 or 4 years old at the time, so I was genuinely terrified. It got so bad that I would scream and cry if I had to be near mushrooms.

I'm not like that anymore, but I can't touch them, and I hate to look at them or smell them. I know it's ridiculous, but I can't help it. And I see no reason to try to overcome the phobia, because I still don't like mushrooms and would never choose to eat them.

There are a lot of other foods I don't like-- liver, beets, cauliflower, and offal among them. But I don't have a phobia of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2023 01:24AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 06:38PM

I don't like mushrooms either. I don't have a phobia about them. I just don't like the taste, texture or smell of them.

My mom used to buy liverwurst sausage sometimes to make sandwiches. That's something I didn't try with my kids.

Date: December 20, 2023 06:53PM

> My mom used to buy liverwurst sausage sometimes to
> make sandwiches. That's something I didn't try
> with my kids.

An inter-generational reduction in sadism is one of those rare indications of moral progress in human society.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 09:45PM

I was raised with the three bite rule and did it with my kids. I learned to like a lot of things and so did they. Do you have to sit there till it molds? No, but it means nothing till the next meal. No one starved. They have a choice. I think people that make multiple meals for multiple picky kids do it for themselves and it sure doesn't help the kids. I learned to take pills at a young age and if pressed could always get three bites down that way. Just swallow whole backed with a slug of water :)

PS - the only picky eater here is Hubs. He was raised with horrible eating habits and he drives me wild.

Date: December 20, 2023 09:53PM

> . . . he drives me wild.

The secret to a good marriage.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: December 21, 2023 11:18AM

How I consumed food I hated for years. I still swallow peas like pills. Hate them, people put them in everything.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 09:50PM

Be quiet and finish your Lutefisk, Nefla soup and Lefsa.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 21, 2023 11:28AM

Knoephla soup. And don't forget fleischkuechle, those staples of the Germans from Russia who settled North Dakota.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 21, 2023 11:30AM

Sometimes just the name of the food is enough to make me not like it!

Date: December 21, 2023 12:09PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes just the name of the food is enough to
> make me not like it!

Reminds me of an excellent George Carlin routine called “Fussy Eater”. The names were why he couldn’t eat yogurt, squash, or kumquats!

Date: December 20, 2023 09:52PM

No matter how much you love or hate a particular food, it all turns to excrement.

(three-syllable curse words have never been popular.  It's weird!
One-syllable and four syllables are most popular...)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 11:22PM

I hate liver. We raised premium beef and liver got served every couple weeks, but I wasn't forced to eat it. I hate turnips too. My late wife loved liver and onions but not the smell of it cooking, so she ordered it in restaurants. Perfect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2023 11:23PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 21, 2023 06:08AM

>> I find religion is like food. Pushing your religion you like on others thinking they have to have it, need it or will grow to love it is like pushing people to eat food they find disgusting.

Or, just because your ancestors thought that Christianity (or a certain flavor of Christianity) was the way to go, doesn't mean that you have to.

Posted by: Occasional Geek ( )
Date: December 21, 2023 08:24PM

Smells exactly like stinky feet.

A couple of years ago, I tried some. Now I love it. Ya just have to get past that smell.

Date: December 21, 2023 08:39PM

That’s like Wagner’s music, which experts say is better than it sounds.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.