Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 04:36PM

I listen to a lot of music and am grateful that Los Interwebs make it so easy.  I've always listened to music, but either there were a lot of commercials, or I had to constantly put records on the turntable and then turn them over.

CD disks made it a little easier.

But now I have YouTube playlists for whatever mood or shade of mood I'm in.  YouTube offers subscribers the opportunity to make pure audio playlists, but I stick with video replays because of the additional entertainment value.

So...  Have any of you been in a music video?  (I'll be surprised if Roy B Giv hasn't been.)

If you haven't been in a music video and want to, what genre would you select?  And would you be a performer or part of the background?

I'm still working on which genre best suits a lingering longshot of me driving a 1956 Studebaker Skyhawk on a lonely Nevada backroad ... and whether I'm alone or not.  And no, Gladys, it won't be a Mariachi...probably.

Hey, maybe this brings it back on topic?!  What song would support an anti-mormon video, how so, and what role would you play in such a musical video?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 05:08PM

Elderdog everyone knows top of the CK menu at Christmas will be real roast potatoes and parsnips with steaming Christmas pudding for desert. Nothing to me more dull than white turkey with white mashed potatoes.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 05:13PM

Stuffed with Masa, and spices made from the chiles. It smelled heavenly for days. The recipe disappeared shortly after. Bookmarked, but gone.

I made it in 2008.

It wasn't spicy, unlike EOD. lol

Sister still said no.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2023 05:42PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 05:18PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 05:30PM

I've never been in a music clips, Jesus, but I did the voice overs for 15 or 20 trashy Kungfu movies.

It was in Hong Kong a long time ago and I was one of several Westerners on walkabout who were hired to translate terrible movies for the English-speaking market. We would go into the studio and do two or three minute pieces of a full-length movie. They would give us little strips of paper with the words we were supposed to say and places where we were supposed to scream or make guttural violence sounds. Then they'd play the scene and we'd perform our assigned roles in the campiest possible fashion. When the scene was over, they'd hand out new papers and we'd do the next one,

There was no preparation for these performances; rarely did we do retakes; and we laughed a lot, usually but not always between the clips. It was much as I imagine the Navaho speakers in Western movies from the 1950s and 1960s, in which a Native American would with a sincere face say completely random and often crude things.

I still don't know where they showed those terribly dubbed movies. It had to be places where people knew no Chinese and had English as a second or third language. Perhaps Southeast Asia? India? Africa? I think we were paid about 25 US dollars an hour.

Sadly, my acting career went nowhere.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 05:32PM

Knotheadusc has several youtube videos. Wonderful!

Song Hotel LDS (California) by the eagles.

Date: December 19, 2023 05:38PM

>
> Song Hotel LDS (California) by the Eagles.
>

I am supposing that you are referring to the line that mormon authorities want to be true:

“You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!"

I'm glad we've proved them ever so wrong.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 06:13PM

I’ve made a few videos of me performing music, and I put them on YouTube. The most popular one has fewer than 300 views.

I don’t think that qualifies me as “being in a music video.”

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 05:02AM

Date: December 20, 2023 05:42AM

Here are a couple of Christmas videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNF6dk0xKeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX1D2ucllZ0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2023 05:40PM by Maude.

Date: December 21, 2023 02:18PM

Maude: thanks for fixing the links.

Date: December 20, 2023 04:56PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 21, 2023 09:42AM

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 07:44PM

I don't want to perform, but I'd gladly walk around with a beer opener.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 08:18PM

YT is a wonderful source for music. Not only can you find our very own Knotheadusc (hit that like button and subscribe!) but you can find and keep up with bands from other countries like my Ukrainian Kalush Orchestra. I have also learned interesting things like the Christmas song, Carol of the Bells, was originally a Ukrainian song Shchedryk / Щедрик and not about Christmas. Here it is with subtitles in English by one of my favorite singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqeJ38DThVc

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 12:08AM

Never in one, but prepared the fireworks for several. I wasn't allowed to be there for the filming or even know what the video was (something about not being on the legitimate side of the payroll, not being Union, and not wanting my friend to lose his various ATF licenses.)

Date: December 20, 2023 01:36AM

It occurs to me that la iglesia mormona would have a hard time producing a fun, engaging, uplifting music video in these last days...

In my youth, had such a capability existed, they might have pulled it off, gathering video during MIA after-class activities, stake basketball, stake softball, stake dances, gold & green balls, scout outings, hayrides, ice skating, house parties, etc.

I don't know what song they'd have used as background, but what would have been seen on the screen would have been upbeat, positive, and fun.

Yes, it's my recollection that I had fun growing up mormon.  

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 02:00AM

If la iglesia mormona produced music videos, they would look something like this

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/collection/music-videos?lang=eng

Whether they are fun, engaging, uplifting music videos I will leave to you to decide.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 02:56AM

Well done, Sir Pipe!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 11:31AM

I've been in many live performance videos, long before YouTube, and the band I was in at BYU made a promo video for getting gigs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.