Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 01:14PM

What has Wendy been up to this calendar year, 2023?

Google found nothing regarding an activity of hers reported on this year.

The latest public appearance my lazy search found was May 05, 2022, and while I've played doctor on dates, I'm not actually one, so when I say that the photo they're showing of her didn't look healthy, take it with a grain of salt and call me in the morning. (I didn't play the video...)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/video/2022-05-1010-sister-wendy-w-nelson?lang=eng

While noodling around, I found an article from early 2023 in Church Living, but clicking on it revealed that it was a repeat from 2019.  And because it mentioned Sheri Dew I started reading it. (Do the Dew!  What an inspired ad campaign...)

It was ghastly!  The article is about how ghawd performed miracles in order to bring the very recently widowed Rusty H. Nelson and the ever-faithful spinster and constant companion to Sheri Dew, Wendy Watson, together for eternity.

One doesn't necessarily have to be in a self-destructive mood to read the article or feel the need for an atonement, but it helps.

Here's the penultimate paragraph:

"It was a stunning display of timing — the Lord’s timing.  And the rest, as they say, is history.  The day came when Elder Nelson felt prompted to reach out to Wendy.  As they became acquainted, it was clear that heaven was orchestrating their union.  The Lord was their matchmaker, as Wendy would say ever after."

https://www.ldsliving.com/watch-sister-nelson-shares-how-the-lord-brought-her-and-president-nelson-together-despite-difficulty/s/90973

I've seen references to Rusty having had a serious fall a few months ago and how that limited his activities (at 99, just breathing probably a challenge) and how he's starting to get back to what passes for normal with him, but none of these reports referenced how Wendy was handling the situation, because under ordinary circumstances, her mug would be on display as his faithful, supportive 25-year-or-so-younger wife and help-meet...

And so I was moved by the spirit to write this inquirious (brand new word, and you were there!) post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 02:19PM

eod: U seem to be suggesting that Dusty Rusty, Sheri, & Wendy are a 3-some, is that

a) a rumor

or

b) verified to be accurate/truthful

or

c) a revelation - prediction of the future?

thanks in advance for a prompt, truthful response-reply

and

Happy Holidays!!

Date: December 22, 2023 02:24PM

I have zero information regarding the existence of the threesome you mention.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 03:51PM

When Wendy's image popped up on my screen my first thought was of Tammy Fay Baker. Then I clicked the video and I wanted to hand her some paper towels.

I would really dislike having this woman angry at me for any reason. I think I'll go hide in the closet now until I can find my happy place.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 04:49PM

Stern women rule the CK.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 04:15PM

I've been wondering the same. It seems that she was more prominent some time ago. Haven't heard a peep from her lately.

Date: December 22, 2023 05:17PM

What do you think she wants for Christmas?

Date: December 22, 2023 05:21PM

It's very odd. She seemed to be enjoying the spotlight after Nelson was promoted to church president.

Date: December 22, 2023 05:29PM

I'm purely speculating, as in making shizz up...

If you read that cheezy, sleazy account of their 'it's-the-will-of-ghawd' courtship, one would conclude that they are blessed of ghawd, so then why would ghawd then abandon her and let her suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous old age?

What if her body has betrayed her, but yet there's her 99-year-old stallion, able to get over his bad fall while she is crashing and burning?

I certainly agree that she was quite a fan of the limelight, so ...

Posted by: ShiztheBreathless ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 07:12PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been wondering the same. It seems that she
> was more prominent some time ago. Haven't heard a
> peep from her lately.

Big Russ came into the bedroom and discovered she was using the magic lighed pen for unspeakable acts?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 02:49AM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 05:27PM

A lot of on this board had real fun with the "Wendy it's happening/grab the lighted pen" stories.
Maybe Wendy took that personally and decided to just let her ghostwriters speak for her.

Date: December 22, 2023 05:30PM

You would still think that as the wife of the current church president, she would be photographed accompanying him to at least some events.

Date: December 22, 2023 05:30PM

Yeah, maybe we should think twice before, you know, being mean and saying truthful things.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 07:16PM

I have wondered the same thing. I have taken note that she hasn't been talked about nor have there been any pictures of her. She definitely loved being the wife of god.

It is ridiculous enough what Dew said about the fact they "found each" and the timing was right. Hey, HIS WIFE DIED. I would think that someone wouldn't be so obnoxious by acting like his wife was supposed to die. Yep, mormonism. It is okay to celebrate the death of one wife so he can move on to the next wife. Makes is SO SPECIAL--

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2023 07:19PM by cl2.

Date: December 22, 2023 07:51PM

In the Celestial Kingdom, what
    What do eternal wives and a box
    of tissues have in common?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 11:02PM

After done with last one, another Pops Up!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 08:09PM

Maybe God has similar plans for Wendy. Russ may be eyeing a young and sprightly 80-year-old.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 01:40AM

"It's clear heaven is orchestrating our union."

Sounds like a BYU-RM pick-up line.

Date: December 23, 2023 02:37AM

"I'm wearing pants,you're wearing a skirt!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2023 02:37AM by elderolddog.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 03:52AM

Just speculating. Some ideas in no particular order or merit.

-Nelson has changed as he's aged. Maybe he's too old for her.

-Nelson probably thinks more about his first wife than Wendy with the sudden reckoning that he's going to see her soon. Might Nelson feel silly for lusting after a partner 26 years his junior?

-Nelson might be needy of more help since his fall. Perhaps Wendy resents the additional burden of being expected to take care of him.

-Nelson has lost his Midas golden touch. Yes, he's the prophet and his way goes. However, there may be a lame duck period when the majority of Q15 privately express doubts and concerns about the prophet losing his marbles. Wendy may be experiencing depression that the "rising star" has peaked and is becoming a falling star.

-Maybe all is not well within the Nelson clan (8 of 10 children) who initially presented a united front about how wonderful Wendy is. I'm sure that a few of the children privately thought of Wendy as a gold digging barracuda.

-Maybe Wendy is not in good health and she doesn't want her illness to be known.

Date: December 23, 2023 07:33AM

I'm wondering if she is not in good health, or perhaps she found living in the spotlight not all that she thought it would be. Or it could be that she was ordered to fade into the background.

A 26 year age gap is a *lot*. There was a 16.5 year age gap between my mom and dad, and even though they loved each other a whole lot, it did cause issues. I seem to remember that for a previous church president, there was a lot of in-home care available to him towards the end. I assume that will be the case for Rusty as well. But even with that, I think it's a mental strain for a younger, fitter partner to see her spouse having to deal with old age.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 09:13AM

Wasn't Wendy at age 56 a virgin at the time of her marriage to Rusty? (If my math is correct) How many women are virgins at age 56? Would that be important?

Would one still be a virgin if they had been in a same sex relationship? (Not saying Wendy was!!)

People marry for all kinds of reason and she wouldn't have been the first to marry a powerful man for her own benefit.

Date: December 23, 2023 11:25AM

Who knows? I figure that's between her and Rusty. My guess is that most seniors (of which I am one) marry primarily for companionship.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 11:30AM

I think or assume that male adult leaders have told the prophets wife to be quite and make donuts at home. Mormonism is a patriarchy and if Wendy would continue to speak she could almost appear equal to her prophet husband.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 07:35PM

My grandfather had two wives, his first wife died at the age of 19 in childbirth, the baby was never born alive, looking at things he kept and letters and things I think he was very much in love with her and was quite affected by this. His second wife was my grandmother and I did not know her, she died when I was a few months old. In his seventies he took up with a woman his age, and when visited our house for Sunday dinner, he always called her Mrs. White and she called him Mr ___ too. They seemed very formal and Mrs White was always exquisitely polite to my famil. My aunt hated Mrs White, I guess because she thought Mrs. White was stealing him away from her mother. I was pretty young but I sensed they really did like each other a lot. Once when I was about 13 I dropped by on my bike to ask my Grandfather if he needed some help in the orchard. Mrs White was visiting and boy were they flustered when I rang the bell. ;)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 08:06PM

That's an awesome story.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 12:38PM

The only place I ever hear anything about Wendy is here on RFM. References to her here are about an order of magnitude higher than all my other sources (local people, SLTrib, TV news) combined.

I find the mockery kind of sexist. She has no power in LDS Inc. Do you think she had any influence on the "sisters off the podium" policy? On the new standards for ward and stake creation? On Ensign Peak Advisors? On Mormon Church defending clergy privilege? On selling land in Jackson County, MO?

I can name every wife of every US President of my lifetime, because First Lady is an actual thing, and they do have some influence, at least as a symbolic icon. I think I would have a hard time naming more than 3 of the wives of LDS presidents of the past 70 years, with Wendy being one of the three. She may have written some LDS lit, but she is mostly famous for being the second wife of Nelson, and being younger, [Quick: what was Nelson's first wife's name?] That's about it. Eyring's wife will never get mentioned here because she is not a second wife, nor younger. She is, like most GA wives, invisible.

BTW, Wendy is well within the "half the other person's age plus seven" window for deciding if an age difference is too great.

Date: December 23, 2023 01:23PM

It's just that she was in the spotlight early on (photos with her husband and interviews,) and now she has dropped completely out of sight. The difference is notable, and we are remarking on it. Perhaps TBMs have been trained out of noticing such things.

As for your judgment on the age difference, my POV, being the child of parents with a huge age gap, is that it can make a huge difference in one's life. My mom was left a widow in her 40s, and it devasted her. It took her literally decades to recover. My dad died when I was 14, and my devastated mother was not able to take care of me. So in one fell swoop, I lost my dad, my mom (for many years,) *and* my home. So maybe an age gap is not a big deal to you, but it was a very big deal to me. It was life transforming. I could name other issues, but that was the biggest one.

Wendy was a mature woman when she married Rusty, but even then I'd be willing to bet that she had little idea of what she was getting into.

Date: December 23, 2023 01:14PM

It may seem a backhanded compliment to Wendy to take the time to note her absence, but her time in the limelight was a bit of a positive step for women in the church.

If health reasons have forced her to retreat from the limelight, it's not that I personally care, it's just that the polarization she may have started may suffer.

I just asked Google what's up with Sheri Dew, and she's still as much of a presence as she's ever been, which is to say, nothing has changed regarding her barely making a ripple in the Sea of Saints or Puddle of Saints, if one takes a proper world view.

The Community of Christ, ne RLDS church, has/have female apostles, and one can't help but wonder if the CoC inquiries as to the sexual orientation of its leadership, and if they do, whether it's with the same fervor as its bigger brother, Los Mormones.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 03:35PM

"Emma Smith, wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith, served as the first president of the Relief Society and one of the Book of Mormon scribes, and she curated the Church’s first hymnbook. She is called an “elect lady” in Doctrine and Covenants 25."

So the first Prophets wife had some saying as Relief Society president. (Yes Joseph Smith cheated on her I am there was polygamy) for

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 08:09PM

Emma went with Joseph the night they stole (read borrowed without permission if you're LDS)a horse and wagon and "retrieved" the plates.

I've always wondered why Emma was written out of the story.

Emma's complaining about the smoking and drinking by Joseph's led to the word of wisdom.

Joseph wrote down the revelation on plural marriage and becoming gods, handed it to Hyrum to read to Emma and thus we have Section 132 of D&C.

Of course we never mention Emma pushing Eliza Snow down the stairs causing Eliza to miscarry. That's not faith promoting. shhhhhhhhh.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 08:24PM

> Emma went with Joseph the night they stole (read
> borrowed without permission if you're LDS)a horse
> and wagon and "retrieved" the plates.
>
> I've always wondered why Emma was written out of
> the story.

I think the reason for that wasn't so much Emma as the theft and the occult nature of the trip to the Hill Cumorah. The event was performed on the magical night (autumn equinox, IIRC), at the magical hour, and according to the magical rules. A couple of years later JS would cut his ties to the magical world, as described by Michael Quinn in his Early Mormonism and the Magic World View, and the fledgling church would try to bury the evidence.

You'll recall that the Tanners rejected the Salamander Letter because it was dated to the post-magical period of church history and hence couldn't be authentic. All of these historical events contradict the story today's church wants to tell. Emma would remain a fairly central character, for better or worse, in the Mormon drama until BY tried to expunge her from the record after JS's death.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.