Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hunny Potz ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 01:41PM

I read about a university which doesn’t take physical cash on campus. Does anyone know if BYU is now a cashless campus?

Anyone know if there is also a heavy emphasis on the following:
* Photo ID cards for payment/facial recognition.
* QR Code scanning for gaining access to basic services.
* Cell phones for payment.
* Tapping ID cards to gain entry to rooms/buildings.

Certainly the church has been pushing QR hard. I notice a lot of the new misonary pasaslong cards have one but no phone/web/snail mail address.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 02:18PM

It's all part of the War on Cash™. But you knew that.

Slow Christmas Day, eh?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 02:23PM

Gives new meaning to "kick against the pricks," doesn't he.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 02:23PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 03:40PM

They're promoting the mark of the beast.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 03:47PM

BYU is a senseless campus.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 03:49PM

Senseless, yes, but hardly scentless.

(You started it.)

Posted by: Braai ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 06:25PM

Ya brah, it's cashless.

https://cougarcash.byu.edu/cashless-campus

Everyone can track your purchases. Bring 'em young I guess.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 12:49AM

Makes enforcing the honor code that much easier.

People laugh and call social credit scores a conspiracy. They stop laughing when their credit/debit card stops working.

Date: January 02, 2024 10:48AM

Two questions:
What's a social credit score?

Isn't the only way a debit card stops working is if your balance in the account is zero (or below)?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 12:18PM

When I visited my alma mater (not BYU) a couple of years ago, I was disappointed that you could only access most campus buildings with a key card. It felt exclusionary. I do understand the need for tighter security in a world in which campus shootings exist, but it was a disappointment, nonetheless. It made the campus feel less intimate and friendly.

Posted by: Playing Possum ( )
Date: January 02, 2024 05:10AM

Doesn’t surprise me. I somehow doubt LDS Inc will stop taking cash donations in the near future, though.

I asked a student at BYU and was told all purchases must be must be made by a card which can be purchased at vending machines on campus.

From the link: "Due to the reduction of COVID-19 related restrictions, on-campus retail and dining service providers may start accepting cash again as a payment tender."

Sounds like cash may still accepted at least in some locations. Later paragraphs are written like an HR rep whose first language is mealy-mouth wrote them. But I'm assuming this quote means a cashless campus is their aspiration, not yet the reality. Or maybe the distinction they're trying to make (but failing to do so with any clarity) is that official BYU bodies don't take cash, but 3rd party vendors who contract with the university are allowed to accept cash (so they don't get some blue-haired someone coming at them and saying "but someone on campus took cash, so you're not truly cashless!") If so, they chose a very unclear way of presenting it. Someone will likely get a raise for that.

BYU's aim to be a cashless campus sounds a little like Utah's interest in diamond intersections. If it's recommended by the experts, it's gospel. Sorry if any of you love diamond intersections. I don't. To me, it has Chesterton's fence written all over it.

Posted by: Willie ( )
Date: January 02, 2024 09:16AM

As one who carries cash and does not have any credit cards this is not a good thing. I buy something, I pay for it on the spot. Makes life easier in many ways.
Don't know current Federal laws but I believe it used to be illegal to refuse cash payment for purchases and debts - other than the idiots who would being in pennies for big purchases just to piss off a business.

Cash or check it is with cash for most purchases when traveling. Check generally for recurring bills for me.

Date: January 02, 2024 11:10AM

You can't refuse cash payment for debts, but you can refuse purchases for cash, and if there is no purchase, there is no debt.

You can buy anonymous forms of plastic, but that's a pain. As for retailers, besides the covid/general sanitation risk, security for handling cash can be quite expensive. If they accept no cash, insurance rates can go down, no need for safes in the store, embezzlement is much more difficult, no risk of getting robbed when taking the cash to the bank, no need to even make that daily trip to the bank.

Retailers hate the credit card fees, but they love not having to deal with cash.

I've been to the UK twice in the last decade. I have yet to actually have any UK currency.

As for writing a check to make purchases while traveling - good luck with that. Internationally, no amount of luck will help.

Posted by: Corey ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 08:01AM

Who told them all these colleges to do this simultaneously?

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 05:14AM

Corey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who told them all these colleges to do this
> simultaneously?

This is the obvious question and whenever one asks it, the smooth brains accuse you of being a conspiracy theorist. How much has to happen before people realize society is being re-engineered?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.