Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 01:29AM

If aliens invaded Earth and said to you,”Take me to the most intelligent person on this planet.”

Who would you take them to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 01:48AM

You raise three separate questions.

1) Who is "the most intelligent person on this planet?"

2) "Who would you want to speak for humans?"

Those two questions are distinct and do not necessarily lead to the same conclusion.

3) Why would anyone feel compelled to comply with orders from anyone s/he didn't know?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 05:34AM

That would be Lottie. Is that a probe in your hand?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 04:46AM

Elvis.

Date: December 26, 2023 05:35AM

What if Elvis is one of the aliens?

Date: December 26, 2023 01:00PM

I'd propose that he go on tour. No introduction necessary.

Posted by: UK is OK ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 06:54AM

When aliens came to earth who did they speak to.. ..Abraham.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 08:29AM

God’s chosen mouthpiece, even Russell M. Nelson.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 09:51AM

I suspect you're joking. But it's interesting that I grew up in the Mormon Church when the Catholic Church was still considered to be the Great and Abominable Church (and etc) by Mormons, but if I had to pick a religious leader to speak with aliens I would pick Pope Francis.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 02:56AM

The aliens don’t need to speak to Rusty. They just message him through his lighted pen.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 10:27AM

Since George Carlin is dead, I would have to say Ricky Gervais.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 11:23AM

Good choice.
I think I would prefer to have the alien meet with an astrophysicist too so we could learn a few things.

Posted by: Super Mario ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 06:30AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since George Carlin is dead, I would have to say
> Ricky Gervais.

He would end up getting us destroyed by the Death Star.

Date: December 27, 2023 09:53AM

Well, if the aforementioned "alien" we are talking about is actually code for our loving Heavenly Father, then, Yes.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 02:59AM

You beat me to it (George Carlin), but since Elvis was nominated above, and he’s dead, then it’s ok that George is dead too. On the other hand, Elvis’ “death” may be a conspiracy anyway. So, who knows.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 12:05PM

Dolly Parton because she's a good human, and also very warm and friendly. She could talk to anyone and make them feel relaxed and comfortable. I think she would represent us well. But right after that you would need an entire team of scientists to gather and assess information from the alien -- and hopefully to share information as well.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 12:57PM

John Cleese as Professor Barnhardt in the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (2008)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpopz6HxU_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58EEaGWBBU

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 09:52PM

Niel Degrassi Tyson.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 10:22PM

Hey, you're right, summer. Dolly would be a good ambassador. She's so friendly.

I guess if the aliens are invading, then I'd say that the leaders of many nations should be speaking to them in a united front. Facing a common threat seems to bring people together, even if they're normally enemies.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 10:58PM

Which is why we NEED to be invaded by my eight-foot tall, bright white, hairy, drooling, baby-eating spiders!

Consider... There you are, sitting in a foxhole, clutching your favorite rifle, loaded down with a dozen magazines of ammo, staring across newly plowed farmland, looking at an advancing skirmish line of 20 of the above-described foe, wondering how you, alone, can possibly hold them off...

Suddenly two humans jump in your foxhole, one on each side of you, equally outfitted with arms and ammo!  You will absolutely not give a whit regarding their ethnicity or the color of their skin.

You won't even think twice about them being garbed in rainbow-colored tutus, polka-dot shower caps, and wearing ballerina slippers!  

I'll be the one wearing the pink ones, along with the rainbow-colored sarape!

Screw the Arachnids from The Great Attractor!!  Let's give'm hell!  Earth rules!!

Posted by: Doner & Done ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 08:27PM

So, it's not no atheists in a fox hole but no bigots. That one I can believe. I have the perfect outfit to go with my AK47. I'll see you there!

Date: December 27, 2023 12:21AM

I’d say Malala,
somebody unafraid to speak the truth to power, with compassion.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 12:45AM

The choice is obvious: Jim Gaffigan.

Posted by: Super Mario ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 06:29AM

Yuval Noah Harari. He is the future Lord of Earth.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 10:12AM

Elon.

They’ll leave. With any luck, they’ll take him with.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 11:01AM

Date: December 27, 2023 10:54PM

Name another person who has half of all the satellites in outer space. For that matter, name a country that has more satellites than him.

Name another person or country that started Open AI.

Not only is he the most intelligent engineer on the planet, he’s also one of the most altruistic people on the planet.

Name another person who has installed more solar panels or put more Electric Vehicles on the road.
Name another person who engineered then best car in the world and gave away the patent because he didn’t want to keep the design of a bucket secret while the ship sinks.

Date: December 27, 2023 10:58PM

I’d want Niel deGrasse Tyson to decide what to say to the alien, because he’s an astrophysicist who understands what’s at stake if we screw up this planet, that AND he’s a great communicator and the closest thing we have to Sagan, who decided what to say to aliens with the Voyager.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2023 10:59PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: December 27, 2023 11:23PM

Dolly Parton is cuter than
    BOTH of them put together!!!

Besides, EVERY world civilization Science Fiction writers have visited has had a nuclear event that either destroyed the planet or blasted it back to a pre-cartoon-making level of civilization!!

Date: December 28, 2023 12:56AM

Musk? He's a sociopath. I most definitely do not want him representing humanity.

Date: December 28, 2023 01:42AM

Permit me, if I may, to insert a note of cynicism.

A sociopathic human may be the best to represent the earth in its first contact with aliens. Why? Because you need someone who is capable of seeing right through platitudes to the underlying power relationships, someone who is as willing to distrust as to trust, as happy to deceive as to speak frankly.

I'm reminded of Conrad Black's biography of FDR, whom he openly described as both a sociopath and a great leader. Churchill was close to that too; he was a narcissist who would use and throw people away as necessary to achieve his own aspirations. The key was that these sociopaths viewed their peoples' interests as the vehicle through which to achieve their own greatness.

The key criteria are thus two: 1) the sociopathic statesman must identify with the group he leads, and 2) he must be competent. There are any number of cold calculating sociopaths who do not identify with their subjects and hence could not be trusted to promote their interests. And there are even more who would love to be world leaders but lack the intellect and the self-control to do that effectively.

Elon Musk is the latter sort of sociopath. He does not give a rat's posterior about the people who work for him, the people of the United States, or the people of the world. It's all about him. But even more importantly, he has little managerial skill, even less political judgment, and absolute zero geopolitical expertise.

So you and I are on the same page about Musk. Where we differ a bit is over the larger question. For my part I would prefer someone like FDR or Churchill who could stare Joseph Stalin in the eye, smile, and slit his throat without the slightest hesitation, over a Jimmy Carter or someone else who is a good person but way out of his depth when dealing with profound strategic problems.

Posted by: Breakfast Club ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 06:48AM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> Not only is he the most intelligent engineer on
> the planet, he’s also one of the most altruistic
> people on the planet.

He's rich not intelligent. He pays other people to do the research and design and then takes the credit for it.

Date: December 28, 2023 09:50AM

He’s only rich because he owns stock in the companies he started that were wildly successful. Most of his focus is on engineering.
Name a more successful engineer.

Posted by: Breakfast Club ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 06:32PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> He’s only rich because he owns stock in the
> companies he started that were wildly successful.
> Most of his focus is on engineering.
> Name a more successful engineer.

Elon Musk grew up in a wealthy family like Bill Gates did. They had mining interests in South Africa.

Date: December 29, 2023 08:44PM

Elon Musk is not an engineer. He has no training in the field and has never worked as one.

Posted by: Watutsi ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 04:12AM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> He’s only rich because he owns stock in the
> companies he started that were wildly successful.
> Most of his focus is on engineering.
> Name a more successful engineer.

He's not an engineer.

Date: December 30, 2023 03:37PM

Tell that to the head of NASA who wants to replace all of her rocket engineers because Musk engineered a way to reuse rockets, thus cutting costs by 90%. But Congress won’t let her, because, JOBS (for constituents of senior senators on appropriations committees) the rest of us get survival of the fittest.

He is a scientist and an economist.

Good things to study if you want to engineer the worlds only reusable rocket in history of mankind, doing NASA’s job better than NASA.

Date: December 30, 2023 03:47PM

He is not and never has been an engineer. He is not and never has been an economist. He is less a scientist than at least a dozen regulars at RfM.

Keep digging.

Date: December 30, 2023 04:22PM

"Anything said by a person
    with a lot of a subscribers
    is worth more than what is
    said by another person with
    only a few subscribers ...
    except when it's something
    timely, like 'Look out!!!'"

Date: December 31, 2023 06:27AM

Yet you can’t name a better engineer.

Date: December 30, 2023 04:07PM

It seems as if our ambiguously animated friend has forgotten that both the space shuttle and the booster rockets that carried it were reusable.

I also wonder if, when Mr. Cat dreams in his head of Elon, sitting at his table with pencil and square, doing all the laborious invention, there are any other persons involved. Or if Elon is there alone, in a flowing superhero cape, conjuring, building, and pushing the big red launch button with a dramatically large and masculine, maybe even God-like, finger.

Date: December 30, 2023 04:10PM

> I also wonder if, when Mr. Cat dreams in his head
> of Elon. . .

That would be fine just as long as no one else is in the room.

Date: December 31, 2023 02:51PM

If he'd been a mormon missionary, he'd have figured it out...

Date: December 31, 2023 02:54PM

Frequently.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 01:22PM

I would them the alien there aren’t any wise humans on this planet. Just look at the state of things.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 02:03PM

I'm not sure a "wise human" is a good choice. The more I think about it, the more Dolly Parton seems like a pretty decent pick. She might even clear the "wise" bar.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 02:39PM

I dunno.

She's got a great personality for it, but the alien might be confused by her wig and body. The alien might think she is a different species from the rest of the observed humans. ;-D

Date: December 27, 2023 03:13PM

No mention is made regarding the appearance of the aliens.

I sincerely believe that the impression they make will determine how they are treated, or even if they are 'treated' at all!

What if they look like Rice Krispies Treats?  (Yum!)

What if they look like my prized 8' tall, hairy, fanged arachnoids?

What if they look like Dolly Parton!!!

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 10:00AM

Bill Murray. Because... why not? Might as well have a good laugh before serving our new alien overlords.

HH =)

Date: December 28, 2023 10:36AM

So I asked this question to someone I work with who I consider pretty amazing and he said, after a long pause, David Attenborough. Not a bad choice.

Date: December 28, 2023 03:04PM

It shows that your work associate is either a fan of learning, or he figured you and David were close...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 04:13PM

I am with you D&D. He is a wombat lover so I see his posts on FB and he seems like a very nice man :)

Date: December 28, 2023 04:18PM

Plus, he may be able to get some ideas from the Aliens on how to protect our beloved flora and fauna from ourselves. Although I suspect the Aliens would just roll their eyes and leave knowing full well it's too late, baby, now it's too late.

Posted by: Watutsi ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 04:10AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> he may be able to get some ideas from the
> Aliens on how to protect our beloved flora and
> fauna from ourselves.

Ah yes, David Attenborough who for much of his career took more flights in a week than most people take in a year or even a decade in some cases.

I doubt he'd last the journey to the landing site. He's very old these days.Maybe he'd try a d persuade the aliens to buy a British TV License.

Date: December 30, 2023 11:20AM

Oh my gosh yes. There are 87,000 Airline Flights per day in the U.S. and David Attenborough was on every one of them.

But lets ignore his immense contribution to the world that he brought with his flights and concentrate instead on the great contributions of those millions an millions flying over the holidays to get too drunk, fight with family, go into debt, and assault flight attendants. If Attenborough hadn't flown so much there would have been room for more of the "consumers" who are eating the planet alive.

Date: December 30, 2023 04:27PM

I just remember a year ago when the Artist Presently Known as Watutsi posted a message from a bus in London. He was apparently proud of the fact that he'd flown there and could assure us that it was raining.

Somehow other people flying on airplanes is bad but his flying by plane is a sign of importance.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 02:49AM

I choose George Carlin.

Posted by: Scooby Doo ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 07:23AM

I would say the leader of the free world, but then my post would get deleted.

So, my pick is Shaggy, He's good at solving puzzles. Thats' what the aliens would need. Someone to dechipher this puzzle we call earth.

Date: December 30, 2023 10:30AM

Is the "leader of the free world" even a thing anymore? The European Union has double the population of the U.S.

Date: December 30, 2023 12:38PM

It meant something once, but here we are now, these days, I find claiming to be "leader of the free world" to be on par with Kanye West's claims about himself. Although "Ye" may actually have something to back his up.

Leading maybe. But to where?

Date: December 30, 2023 03:50PM

summer Wrote:
> Is the "leader of the free world" even a thing
> anymore?

Of course it's not. That phrase made a sort of sense during the cold war, when there was arguably an "unfree world," but the East Bloc has been dead for 34 years and people who use the phrase "free world" are in danger of appearing like atavistic demagogues.

Posted by: rb ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 12:15PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-----------------------------------------
> during the cold war... there was arguably
> an "unfree world," but ... people who use the phrase "free
> world" are... like atavistic
> demagogues.

Seriously? Jesus Christ...

Date: December 31, 2023 12:19PM

What did I get wrong? Use your words.

Posted by: Shawshank redeemed ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 04:34PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> the East Bloc has been dead
> for 34 years

China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea and Vietnam still qualify. There is still very much a "Bamboo Curtain" between Communist Party states in Asia and their rivals. There is still a blockade between Cuba and the USA. Chavez's Venezuela and Morales' Bolivia wanted to be in the club too.

Russia is run by a KGB alumnus. Germany was run until 2021 by a woman who was an enthusiastic member of the FDJ. Most Eastern Bloc countries kept a significant number of (ex)Communist politicians in power throughout the 90s, 00s and 10s. The "Mafias" in most of these countries were created by their secret police forces.That isn't paranoia but hard fact. Old habits die hard.

Posted by: Shawshank redeemed ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 04:43PM

summer Wrote:
> Is the "leader of the free world" even a thing
> anymore? The European Union has double the
> population of the U.S.

The European president is not directly elected, and its government isn't very transparent either. (One major reason that many Europeans wish to leave the EU.) The European Parliament is also set up so that politicians get barely any time to speak, meaning that no proper debates ever take place. Like most western "caretaker" governments, the politicians are paid well and the real decisions made outside the parliamentary chamber. Ursula von der Leyen was part of this culture from childhood thanks to her father.

In the eastern parts of the EU, the rurn out for European elections is often under twenty percent. No wonder, since many of these countries are riddled witb corruption on account of their recent past behind the Iron Curtain.

The US federal government has more popular support and interaction than rhe EU's does.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 04:26PM

I did that when this message then first started... except I called out the full name.

I got cancelled out within 5 minutes.

Date: December 31, 2023 04:47PM

That's because politics is for.....

Oh, wait...

I guess it's 'some politics' is forbidden.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 05:20PM

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 05:29PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.