Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 02:45PM

The great comics see the world for what it is, human behavior, not for its faults, but for, again, what it is when naked. Sometimes the laughter true comedy brings is uncomfortable, but at the same time relieving. Secrets out! Miss the truth and you bomb big time.

The great comedians know that what will bring the house down, with gales of uproarious laughter, is the truth. Nothing funnier than the truth. Ricky Gervais skewering celebrities at the Golden Globes years ago.

The religious see the world for what they personally think it should be. They see humans in need of correction. They claim to have the only truth. Heaps and heaps of their truth that serves their purposes. Carefully constructed truth. Humorless with a side of threat.

Nothing funny about religion. Goodness knows it could use a funny bone. But, you need truth for laughs. Bare bones honesty required. Laughs. That is how you learn what really matters. Laughter that brings you to your knees, that wrenches your gut, is the one thing that cannot be faked. The one time you cannot tell a lie. You need a pulpit for that.

That's why SNL isn't funny anymore much. They aren't allowed to tell the truth. Society demands we ignore the obvious and give it polite names. Check and double check that you are coloring inside's society's lines. Might as well just go to the Temple and repeat what you are taught to say. Lock-step.

Joke's on you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 05:06PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 05:09PM

SNL? I think it is as good as it ever was. Some weeks are pure gold, and others are hit-or-miss. Of course, I may or may not be awake for all of it. Weekend Update is my favorite segment.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 06:15PM

Hey, D&D, if aliens invaded Earth and said to you, "Take me to the funniest person on this planet.”

Who would you take them to?

Date: December 26, 2023 06:39PM

Besides you?

The hardest I have ever laughed my whole torso hurt and that is not an exaggeration. It was at a now torn down theater in Century City and it was Dame Edna. The whole theater was the same. I'd seen him three times before--always great, but this night something had aligned with the stars.

But, alas, ole Barry Humphries is dead so he can't be the one I'd take the aliens to see.

I used to laugh my ass off at Lisa Lampanelli. Last time I saw her the audience was full of every ethnicity and she had a go at them all. Every single one laughing their asses off at the steero types she was slinging. I don't think she could do that show today.

That leaves Ricky Gervais. Apparently nothing is going to stop him.

I've been watching a lot of those Netflix comedy specials and for most they should skip the word "special".

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 26, 2023 06:24PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------

>
> Joke's on you.
>

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FY3UoWQSxI4

Date: December 26, 2023 06:28PM

Hahaha ha. Too good. Says it all.

Date: December 27, 2023 11:10AM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 11:52AM

Date: December 27, 2023 01:15PM

This seems like a trick question.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 02:12PM

Religion not funny?

I give you Mister Macavity.

Oops, wrong show.

Mr Deity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AchFR9vURqo

Date: December 27, 2023 04:30PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 08:00PM

Now I can't remember what it was.

I do know that my kids and I always people react to us over the way we discuss their father, but only when he is around. He went along with the teasing. Things like them telling him not to have sex on the first date. Somehow the four of us have made it this far and per my therapist we are doing really well compared to where we were when I went in to see my therapist some 26 years ago. He said most people don't get to this point.

My niece used to always be in on the jokes as she lived here when he left. For as much as she teased him, they are really good friends now.

The doctor I took them to for an antidepressant told me that we should not use dark humor about this subject (his brother is gay). It is easier to heal if you don't take it all too seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2023 12:45AM by Maude.

Date: December 27, 2023 10:28PM

I agree. Sometimes people are hurt by what we do. It's a sad truth, that we cannot convey the feelings we have for one another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2023 10:30PM by lousyleper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.