Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 01:15PM

Are women still expected to wear panty hose, stockings, or leggings to SM?

I often wore casual ‘hiking’ shorts, (well- laundered, not wrinkled, etc) to church / SM, someetimes got the ‘stink eye’.

I always thought women had too many layers around ‘that place’ for good hygiene...

Happy Nude Year, everyone !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 01:21PM

Speaking outside of Mormonism, I think the wearing of pantyhose has gradually fallen by the wayside. Women in law, corporate management, etc. probably still wear hose. Teachers generally do not. I was glad to throw that custom out the window. Pantyhose are expensive, and sometimes you develop a run when you are putting them on for the first time. That's money down the drain before you've gotten any use out of them.

Mostly I've worn pants for years. It's insane that the Mormons still insist on skirts and dresses for church. They are wildly out of step.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 01:35PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are wildly out of step.

I blame the hymnal. There's nothing in there you can really dance to.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 04:18PM

Not always true.

When Roy G Bive plays the hymns with a reggae beat, they're definitely danceable.

Date: December 30, 2023 04:33PM

It's always the bay areas, this time Montego, leading the way with the off-nominal behaviors.

Date: December 30, 2023 02:17PM

I think women ‘enforce’ this rule/ expectation more than men-males do;

MoMism has more than its share of unwritten rules-regulations-expectations, a GA even wrote about them a while back.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 02:28PM

Date: December 30, 2023 02:36PM

While there is a known phenomenon wherein the most oppressed become the most ardent enforcers of the oppression, Aunt Lydia style, one cannot absolve "the bretheren", who recently and decisively took the lead, for example, in removing women from the stand.

If Mr. Nelson were to state that nice slacks were encouraged in Sacrament Meetings henceforth, women would no longer police each other in that matter.

Date: December 30, 2023 02:39PM

Date: December 30, 2023 03:15PM

lousyleper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The directorate has mandated / decreed that users of (your term) “robots” are instructed to refrain from using that word, Please repudiate and substitute a more politically acceptable language,

-by Order of the Supreme Council, G. Orwell secretary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2023 03:33PM by GNPE.

Date: December 30, 2023 03:19PM

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 04:26PM

I seem to remember back in the day, my wife expressing her dislike to having to wear a dress to church. Women wearing slacks drew the stink-eye from some of the other congregants then. Being a man, I was clueless to it all. But I applaud the women who kicked against the pricks on this issue.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 09:08PM

nylons anymore. HA HA

I drove by an LDS building in Brigham last week was it? And I remembered a Saturday youth thing and we had to wear dresses and nylons. My sister got a run and she just kept working that run over while she was waiting for everyone who was riding with us. When she stepped outside of the car, that pantyhose leg fell down around her ankle. It was hilarious.

I have a pair of nylons in my drawer still in the box that I purchased to go to my boyfriend's son's wedding many years ago and I didn't even have to use that pair for my daughter's wedding 4 months after that. I'll have to put it in my will. There is no chance I'll be using those nylons. I bought 4 dresses for the weddings. They haven't been worn since either.

Date: January 01, 2024 12:11AM

I have new pantyhose that must be 20-30 years old. But I'm sure I'll wear them someday! lol

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 02:38AM

When I had to wear them I wore stockings for the most part. I do think I still have a Legg's Egg stuffed around here. I loved those eggs :)

Date: January 01, 2024 08:42AM

I remember the eggs, but they were not my favorite pantyhose. I like the No-nonsense ones -- relatively cheap and a decent fit. I remember carrying clear nail polish in my handbag to deal with the runnners. I would dab a bit of polish on the end of a run, wait a minute, and then pry the sticky stocking off of my leg. Good times. Why did we ever do that?

Date: January 01, 2024 12:31AM

Mormons: Rant & Rave about the most trivial matters.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 02:22AM

Says he who brought the subject up. Irony will never die, which I suppose is a good thing,

Date: January 01, 2024 03:51AM

If Mos didn't make issues of items like this one, we wouldn't notice or comment, Comrade!

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 11:27PM

It keeps them from realizing they are in a cult.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 07:29AM

I attended two official church meetings in 2023. Both involved summer heat. Only the older sisters were wearing stockings. Many women were dressed in those layered sun dresses. I think some young women were wearing some kind of black or dark leggings under their skirts.

At the temple, there were sets of sisters wearing sandals and flip flops. Only one was wearing white socks with some sort of combat style boot/shoe- it looked really strange because I was wearing the men's style of said shoe.

Others have pointed out that it's usually the women of the ward who keep the other sisters in line. My mom sometimes complains about wearing dresses and having a draft go up her legs. I tell her to be comfortable by wearing some nice trousers to church. She wants the mighty priesthood to say that it's proper for women to wear pants in the chapel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 07:29AM by messygoop.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 08:26PM

I remember my molly gf wearing nylons with garter straps. I could touch up until I felt bare skins then I'd get shut down.

Memories.....

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 09:58PM

I'm pretty sure that's in Sec. 166, or thereabouts.  Definitely part of the restored gospel...  

In Jesus name, amen.

Date: January 03, 2024 10:03PM

And Yet, ChurchCo won't admit / denies they're a Cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 10:40PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.