Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 01:43PM

You know, this is a very important commandment to keep. Heavenly Father really needs this money. In fact, it's so important to pay those dollars that he has promised us that we will burn for eternity if we don't pay up.

Isn't that wonderful? Our kind loving Heavenly Father loves us so much that he is more than willing to provide us with first degree, second degree, and third degree burns that never stop hurting, ever!

There is still time folks, don't burn, fork it over now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 02:02PM

This post has me feeling unsettled.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 02:11PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 03:52PM

Tithing always leaves me unsettled. Or I always leave tithing unsettled.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 02:18PM

My mom says I don't drink enough liquor. I'm trying to fix that.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 03:57PM

I was looking back on the board's dealings with ED, the vanquished one, and read a post I wrote about him. In it I listed three board members ho had never been sucked in by his paranoid lies: the three I mentioned were BoJ, Hie, and you.

It reminded me how unmovable you were in a storm of deception.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 03:13PM

I have been following the example of the Q15. I have all my funds in productive growth and income stocks.

I am saving it all for a rainy day, since my retirement will require cash to pay for all those things I need to survive. Plus, per their comments, I am also making sure my family can be taken care of if needed, because LDS Corp does not want to use tithing given to them for the support of the sick and afflicted. Temples are the number one priority.

Date: December 30, 2023 03:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2023 03:24PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 08:55PM

The year my mother died, she died on Dec. 3. Of course the last thing my dad was thinking of was tithing. Then he realized it after Christmas and he went to the church and hunted down the bishop to pay his tithing. The bishop said they would be submitted in the next year as they'd already done all the books. My dad insisted as he was worried my mother would be upset about it--more than likely would in the right circumstances but, after all, she was dead. My dad had to walk down the hallway trying to catch him and my dad's knees were so bad he could hardly walk.

When he was telling me about it, I said but God would understand. He said, "You're right."

They make it so even someone like my dad would be concerned about it and he wasn't that TBM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2023 08:57PM by cl2.

Date: December 31, 2023 09:00PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 07:50AM

My mom tells me that they really don't question members like they used to (I think church leaders realize that members KNOW about the church's billions).

I used to go with my mom who would cry her crocodile tears about not paying a full tithe. It was usually done on 12/31 at the bishop's home. In addition to signing that we were NOT full tithe payers, he would read scriptures about the punishment for cheating the lord. Then he would revert to some kind of benevolent Santa punk by giving both my mom and me a baby sized candy cane.

God I hated that. I hated feeling poor in a rich church.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 08:37AM

There still are Bishops out there who can't stand not to take an opportunity to preach at you during tithing settlement even if you declare to be a full tithe payer.
President Nelson has told us to avoid conflict so I no longer and haven't for years attended tithing declaration even though I pay a full tithing. If they want to know they can ask me outside the office or during a TR interview.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 25, 2024 02:48PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My mom tells me that they really don't question
> members like they used to (I think church leaders
> realize that members KNOW about the church's
> billions).
>
> I used to go with my mom who would cry her
> crocodile tears about not paying a full tithe. It
> was usually done on 12/31 at the bishop's home. In
> addition to signing that we were NOT full tithe
> payers, he would read scriptures about the
> punishment for cheating the lord. Then he would
> revert to some kind of benevolent Santa punk by
> giving both my mom and me a baby sized candy cane.
>
>
> God I hated that. I hated feeling poor in a rich
> church.

Something just came to me about this visit while I was getting dressed for work this morning. I have a pair of socks that are in need of darning. Thankfully, I have plenty of others to spare.

Some 40 years ago, my mom was pushing me to hurry up to go with her to the bishop's home. I did not dress in my "house grubbies" but had to don my Sunday attire sans the necktie. I went to my sock drawer. Not only did I not have a matching pair (one black and one dark blue) but one sock had a massive hole. I put on a pair on white tube/sports socks and my mom wasn't having it.

I went over to the bishop's home with a hole in my sock. My mom kept telling me- Nobody is going to know about it.

Except we were told to remove our shoes because the bishop had just commercially washed the white carpeting in his home. My mom and I were a sight to behold. I had my big toe sticking out in a mismatched pair of socks and my mom was also wearing mismatched knee high stockings (a light and dark shade of hosiery). The bishop's wife was sweet when she told me how cute my toe was. He glowered and remarked that it's indignant to be sloppy before the lord (he thought he was God).

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 10:49AM

"Ten percent of your income for life to live as a God in the afterlife."

Nice scam if you can sell it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 04:25PM

Sounds awesome! Where do I sign the billion year contract?

Posted by: The Original Moi! ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 09:09PM

It's no longer called Tithing Settlement. It's now Tithing Declaration.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 10:04PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 10:22PM

How many people were Bullied into attending?

youths, spouses, others.

Please don't feel any shame / guilt if this happened to you!

Posted by: swallow ( )
Date: January 24, 2024 04:43AM

Tithing settlement was quite basic. All you have to say is that you pay what you owe. Which may be nothing. I didn't go to one in years.

Posted by: Alien Weaponry ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 06:23AM

Another pleasure I don't miss.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.