Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 09:42PM

* I was a sworn peace officer, Good or Bad, I partially retain that mentality

* Accurate, current licensing is Very Important to officer safety

* offenders often use stolen vehicles for felony crimes, some of them associated with use of weapons, deadly assaults, murders, robberies, other.

So... here's an example of a case where a citizen became suspicious of the licenses on a vehicle in the grocery store parking lot, I hope y'all get the jest of why I see proper licensing as important for law enforcement AND honesty bc Washington fees & taxes encourage Cheating especially from other states such as nearby Oregon which has no sales tax > purchases are substantially cheaper there, in the $ 1,000s for autos.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/detectives-arrest-suspected-drug-dealer-sequim/UL3BOTE67FCLPFE2QZMU2ICZMY/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2024 09:43PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 09:56PM

If someone will swap license plates, they will break the Law of Chastity.

Date: January 04, 2024 10:11PM

I MISSED the part about swapping plates!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 10:20PM

But the matter of her license plate didn't enter into this brief account.

A personal account--really happened:
Some years ago, on my day off, I had to drop something off at my church. As I went in, I noticed a woman I had never seen before exiting. I covered the brief matter with the pastor, then said, "Not knowing that lady, but the next time you see her, you might mention that her car registrations is expired."
"You noticed her license plates?" noted the reverend.
"Yeah. Some men look at women's legs. I look at their license plates."

Retired 12 years, I still find myself looking at them. Can't help "reading" a vehicle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2024 10:25PM by caffiend.

Date: January 04, 2024 10:32PM

I live very close to where this happened, the local report was that the vehicle had different plates on Front & Rear...

I also have observed &reported similar occurrences, law enforcement response was very quick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2024 10:45PM by GNPE.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 11:15PM

Plates attached with only one screw, zip-ties, expiration sticker irregularities, stuck in the rear window, all that. Run the plate, see what comes up.
Also handy if you don't like the look of somebody, his drivings are suspicious, and handy as an add-on if a jerk needs some attitude improvement therapy.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 02:10AM

Black drivers get stopped pretty regularly for driving-while-black, and get their license and registration checked. That's the downside of not liking the look of somebody, if you happen to be the somebody.

A white female student at U of Michigan bought a full-sized black poodle and suddenly was getting pulled over on a regular basis, only to get a perfunctory brush-off from the officers, like she had somehow inconvenienced them. It took several months before she figured out that the dog looked like a male with an afro from the rear, and sat upright in the passenger seat.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 05, 2024 01:35AM

A side light around western Washington, there are a rash of stolen vehicles with either swapped licence plates or no plates at all being used got various robberies and just running away from police.

Unless a major crime is reported police can't Chase the speeders without getting permission from a higher authority.

Date: January 05, 2024 01:52AM

Nearly all departments have a supervisor on duty 24/7; good police work gives officers an extraordinary sense of when something is serious.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 06:47PM

She's a fine looking woman.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 07:01PM

Say, this offers nothing toward the argument. But I live in SW Washington, and a while ago there was a big wreck in my front yard (sort of). Some guy ran off the road and ran headlong into a very old city-owned elm tree on the city-owned verge in front of my house, which destroyed his car. I hopped out of bed when I heard the crash, and immediately called 911 because it looked deadly. I was talking to the dispatcher when the driver climbed quickly out of the wreck, and walked briskly down the street. I was still just in briefs and a T-shirt, so I started trying to pull on clothes with my free hand. Didn't work, but when I got out of the house, the coppers arrived. They began asking me questions. I joined them in searching the car, and one of them popped the trunk and said, "Oh, what have we here?!". There were six sets of license plates in the trunk of the car. They couldn't find the driver, so just removed the car.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 07:43PM

I moved from one jurisdiction which required two plates (TX), to a jurisdiction that required only one (AB)

Left the old one on the front, which was a mistake because I had not deregistered it

Crossed the border in said state, and the friendly border guard asked which one he should use, since they both came up as current registration

I pulled over, removed the front plate, and was on my merry way

Date: January 08, 2024 08:33PM

I used to work thru college on the GNRY;
in the Washington-Idaho-Montana area, company vehicles had & displayed 3 sets if plates to be in compliance...

Since the International Registration Plan was implemented I doubt that still happens bc Registration is pro-rated.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 09:27PM

Anyone know of any mormons involved in the SovCit "right to *travel*" ... stuff?

I love watching the cops break the driver's door window and him out!

Date: January 09, 2024 11:44AM

There was a guy killed in Farmington UT last year when his unregistered car was stopped, he refused to get out. His car was surrounded by officers with drawn guns, since he was wearing a sidearm. He drew his gun when they tried to force the door open. It did not end well for him.

A month or two ago I saw a pickup truck in town with a placard on the back about “this vehicle is a private conveyance, not for hire” which is the standard sovereign citizen boilerplate for why they don’t need vehicle registration. The pickup also had current Utah plates, so less than fully committed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2024 10:43AM

I'm not going to get worked up over snow birds who have two residences. Usually they are very familiar with the tax rules as to which state is their legal residence for tax purposes -- and they are very good about following those rules.

Date: January 09, 2024 11:07AM

Sequim has Snow Birds & Sun Birds, which the merchants appreciate, but that situation leads to a very permissive attitude to law enforcement including those who have moved here permanently.

The 'grace period' for Washington law is 30 days, not 60, 90, or 180;Honest people are being taken advantage of, we/they resent it.

Date: January 09, 2024 12:00PM

The 30 days only applies once you become a legal resident. Not physical resident, legal resident for tax purposes. I spent 4 years at BYU with out of state plates. I never heard of anyone at BYU getting ticketed for that.

That said, there are people with fraudulent registrations. If the state really cared they could make enforcement a high priority. They appear not to have done that. That’s their decision to make. Go picket the state capitol. They’re the ones you need to convince, not us. At least tilt at the right windmill.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2024 01:09PM

I believe the same is true for military service members. They can keep their legal residence in their home state, as opposed to the state where they are stationed.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: January 09, 2024 11:25AM

When we were young my mother reported to the local police that our license plate was stolen.

To the officer at the desk, "Our car's license plate was stolen."

Officer: "Sigh. Go to Motor Vehicles and have it replaced."

"But they changed it with another plate."

Now the Officer and several detectives were intensely interested to see which license plate the criminals had substituted for ours.

Date: January 09, 2024 12:03PM

When my son was hit by a hit-run driver, there were several witnesses; none of them bothered to note the lp number.

Having current, accurate registration & plates is an officer & public safety matter, but it has deteriorated to a revenue and tax/fee evasion matter here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.