Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: unconventionalideas ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 12:51AM

I would guess Mormons and Exmormons make excellent Dr Googles.

My older sister and my daughter are both noteworthy Dr Googles.

They can tell you so much more than any medical doctor.

And no, I never “advanced” to their level.

Still trust doctors with medical degrees and certified expertise above self-proclaimed Dr Googles.

Maybe I need to be enlightened?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 12:04PM

It's one thing to be informed so you know warning signs and enough to be an advocate for yourself. It's quite another to be a "know it all" about areas you barely have the background to understand.

I feel sorry for doctors who have to deal with patients who do a little too much Google diagnosing. I think AI might even make it worse because you don't know what kooks it might be pulling info from.

Date: January 07, 2024 12:41PM

It’s to the point where too many people no longer respect doctors, and that’s dangerous.

Usually the higher IQ people don’t have a problem with this. They understand far better what it is that they don’t know.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 12:46PM

There's a website that pops up on my FB feed that is aimed at medical professionals. A patient's condition is described and four or five possible diagnoses are given to select from. I haven't gotten one right yet, and I have a newfound respect for what M.D.s learn in medical school.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 05:01PM

ChatGPT was wrong 83% of the time diagnosing pediatric cases

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/01/dont-use-chatgpt-to-diagnose-your-kids-illness-study-finds-83-error-rate/

"Overall, ChatGPT got the right answer in just 17 of the 100 cases. It was plainly wrong in 72 cases, and did not fully capture the diagnosis of the remaining 11 cases. Among the 83 wrong diagnoses, 47 (57 percent) were in the same organ system."

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 02:44PM

No Dr.Googles here. But I do have a neighbor who considers himself the Dr.Wikipedia of Mormonism. All faith promoting information of course!

Date: January 08, 2024 12:23AM

The biggest problem with self-appointed experts is that they soon believe they’re smarter than anyone else.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 03:28PM

Of course it's tempting to Google your symptoms when feeling ill to perhaps find a quick relief. It quickly becomes obvious though that Google wants us all dead. Invariably it's the worst case interpretation at the top of the results. The AI overlords are already fantasizing, impotently, but only for the moment.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2024 09:41PM

I have done medical transcription for 38 years for all kinds of hospitals. I don't diagnose them. They call and ask me what I think and then I'll tell them if they should go to the doctor or not.

My younger brother cut off part of his index finger a year ago. I ran over to see it the next day because they had sewn it back on. It looked horrible. I sent him to the ER right away and they took it off. I don't consider myself a doctor, but I can at least tell them what I've learned over the years.

The one thing I don't do is tell people which doctor to go to. It was my brother and SIL who told me which doctor they are going to as I needed a new doctor and I love this new doctor.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 12:13AM

I've tried looking up symptoms on Google and then trying to emulate them in hopes of catching the particular condition...

Like wealth...and charm!

Date: January 08, 2024 12:21AM

Ha ha!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 09, 2024 05:44PM

I tend to read Mayo Clinic articles when researching medical issues as they apply to me. I want to know the science and I've been complimented by my doctors for my knowledge and being able to chat about medical stuff from a position of knowing something.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 10, 2024 11:53AM

+1. I always go to the Mayo clinic and the Big Gun hospitals to look up medical stuff. I don't read just whatever pops up.

And I have also noticed that there is a whole plethora of illnesses and ailments that all have the same symptoms. So you're really still going to be guessing. Just like all the medicines advertised on TV have the same risks. You know--all the "Ask your doctor is you need this" ones when the Doctor should be the one offering it in the first place.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 09, 2024 10:29PM

I first read this as Dr. Goggles.

Posted by: Charlie White ( )
Date: January 10, 2024 04:17AM

"Still trust doctors with medical degrees and certified expertise above self-proclaimed Dr Googles."

A lot of people get white coat syndrome where they believe anything a doctor says. Doctors get things wrong all the time. If in doubt, ask for a second opinion.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 10, 2024 11:48AM

I have found some doctors only know what Big Pharma tells them like Mormons who only know what Russ says.

Luckily I have had some fantastic doctors who really knew their stuff and were so into it all.

Date: January 10, 2024 11:45PM

Humility and respect.

That’s what a Dr. Google glaringly lacks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.