Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 09:16AM

One regret, among many, in my active years as a Mormon was giving up playing music. Today I am on my way to play with a jazz quintet where I play the sax and digital flute. This year I have 30+ gigs or performances lined up and that is only through to September. I wished I never stopped as I could of been a better musician. At least I returned to something I treasured.

I recently played tenor sax in some tunes from Hamilton. A person writing in a public review said this: 'When the bassoon and tenor sax played Dear Theodisia, she started to tear up'. A cool review.

When music is played well, especially during a jazz riff, it feels good. It is a feeling I never experienced in all my Mormon years - just a feeling of joy and contentment. All Mormonism ever offered was blandness. How I endured those years of monotony still confounds me. The Mormon god is sure dull.

Well, off to an afternoon gig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 10:27AM

:)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 11:22AM

I wish I could hear you play. The older I get the less I want lyrics. Smarmy whiny love song lyrics. A good sax is the best and says more than any words could.

I get weak in the knees when I hear my favorite, "Midnight in Moscow" played to perfection by an orchestra. I purposely rarely listen to it so the thrill is new every time.

A few years ago, just before covid, I had to take some clients to lunch and went to a neighborhood Mexican restaurant I had never been. Talk about serendipity. It was a very large place and just as we sat down at one end there was a make-shift stage and all these seniors came in with their instruments and set up and gave a concert. They never played Midnight in Moscow but what they did play brought back a lot of wonderful memories from dances with real orchestras playing all the best stuff from when I was a young. Turns out they did that every other Friday. You could tell it meant everything to still be able to play.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 11:31AM

That's wonderful.

Your hobby also brings joy to others who attend, I'm sure.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 12:07PM

I'm ignorant. What is a digital flute ?

Date: January 14, 2024 09:43AM

The digital flute is actually a digital saxophone I use to play a simulated flute. Some musicians refer to these as Ewis.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/digital_wind_instruments/yds_series/index.html

I use it for an excellent flute sound and also harmonica for some jazz tunes. It does a lousy job of imitating a tenor or alto sax so I use real saxophones and clarinets at gigs. The digital device is a novelty for a few songs each set.

One instrument I get a lot of requests to play in local orchestras is my low C bass clarinet. I have acquired pro level instruments over the years. Fortunately I retired as an engineer and could afford these instruments. I just got a text this week asking me to play the low bass for a musical along with an alto sax. I play the bass clarinet also at the local university wind ensemble.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/clarinets/ycl-622ii/index.html

My traditional clarinet is a Patricola from Italy.

When I am gone, these instruments, and others, will be part of my childrens' inheritance. These instruments (other than the digital) go up in value every year. So it is a bit of a collection and definitely a hobby playing these. I could not of afforded all these if I had continued paying tithing the past 30 years.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 12:19PM

In the 1980s I was in a rock band that was comprised of TBMs. The only one in the band that wasn't a returned missionary was on our stake high council. We carefully scrutinized the lyrics of the songs we performed. We prayed before every rehearsal and performance. Even back then, it felt a little weird, and looking back, it seems even worse.

Eventually, we added a keyboard/sax player who wasn't a member of the church. He never complained about all the prayers, but it did feel a little awkward to me.

Date: January 13, 2024 04:13PM

The event coordinator liked us so much we got 5 more gigs. I just have to send the contracts. It was fun.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 06:18PM

That's outstanding.

You must be getting rewards for your righteousness!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 06:26PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 07:26PM

Erik the K& wrote,

"I play the sax and digital flute.*

I play digital slide whistle, and E# sweet potato. We should jam!

*Any relation to Murray the K?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 07:51PM

Coming to this board many years ago, it struck me that the Mormon church demands far too much of its members both in terms of money but also time commitment. It was eye opening to me to read everyone's experiences. People do deserve to have well-rounded lives, including hobbies and interests.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2024 12:47PM

A while back, someone in my stake ( Redmond, WA) started teaching Ham Radio at church; idk if it was taught elsewhere (church - wide?), it had the flavor of survivalist thinking / stay in touch with the Mother Ship...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2024 12:48PM by GNPE.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 04:11PM

Very cool to have a hobby. Especially if it benefits others, too, like performing music.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 04:56PM

I really like the fact that my hobby (music) actually pays me. I don’t get a lot of money, but I do get paid. Not many people get paid for their hobbies. For example, if you’re passionate about golf, you’re not going to get paid for playing unless you’re very good.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 05:05PM

Church leaders were insanely envious that both my parents supported me having hobbies and interests outside the church, especially as a young man. I played sports on Saturdays (my school did not have stadium lights for football) and there was never any doubt about going to the temple when I had games.

However, during a personal priesthood interview, they would physically grab and jerk the metal chair to face them. At that point, they would say that the prophets have warned members about letting interests OUTSIDE of the church affect church duties and responsibilities. I was told that the day would come where I would be forced to choose what path to take (and I'm glad that I have chosen my hobbies).

If they would have had a free standing lamp, they would have turned it on to give me the third degree.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.