Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 09:06PM

It's a website on FB that's obviously run by the CULT trying to convince people to let the missionaries come over.
So they have an add where two pimple faced young lady missionaries ask in sweet tones if you're ready for a change in the New Year, let us come talk to you about Jesus!

I commented on their post,

"I've been trying to get missionaries to answer my question honestly for a long time, ever since I was a Mormon missionary back in the day,

Do you believe the Doctrine and Covenants are the word of God, Especially the "Law of the Priesthood" ?

D&C 132: 61 And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood—if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.

62 And if he have ten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery, for they belong to him, and they are given unto him; therefore is he justified.

63 But if one or either of the ten virgins, after she is espoused, shall be with another man, she has committed adultery, and shall be destroyed; for they are given unto him to multiply and replenish the earth, according to my commandment, and to fulfil the promise which was given by my Father before the foundation of the world, and for their exaltation in the eternal worlds, that they may bear the souls of men; for herein is the work of my Father continued, that he may be glorified."

How many of Joseph Smith's wives were married to other men or teenagers at the time he 'married' them?

I put "married" in quotes, because obviously he couldn't legally, morally or ethically, 'marry' his neighbors wives.
and
How do you square that behavior with the 10 commandments, which he clearly violated by practicing polyandry?"

I'll let you know if they respond.
I doubt it. It'll probably get scrubbed ASAP and not answered.
But I saw other kind of inappropriate responses on there, like one,

Missionaries? I've got a position for you! Come on over! But you gotta wear a bag over your head and not talk about Jesus! lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 10:14PM

I literally cannot recall ever telling a believing mormon, in a one-on-one conversation, that the church was not true.

Yet somehow it remains untrue and people find their way out of it, despite my nonexistent efforts...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 10:35PM

Neither does the Torah.

In the 11th century CE, a rabbi imposed a ban for Ashkenazi Jews but that prohibition was temporary and has expired. Sephardic and Yemeni Jews never faced any restriction at all.

Today Jewish polygamy is rare, but it still exists, does not violate the rules, and is not punished.

Date: January 13, 2024 10:48PM

Oh, that's just great...

Now The Cat has to go to church on Sunday...

Date: January 13, 2024 10:54PM

In the circumstances, perhaps he should go on Saturday.

Date: January 13, 2024 10:54PM

I didn't say anything about polygamy.
I said polyandry, marrying a woman who is already married.
That's adultery according to the 10 Commandments and the Law of the Priesthood.
Seems disqualifying for a prophet to violate the 10 Commandments and the very Law he said he got straight from God.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: January 14, 2024 08:57AM

The scriptures are clearly inconsistent and often privilege one over another. It's pure divine command theory, not consistent unchanging laws. It's what god commands in the moment, those commands usually not being written down or shared.

Date: January 14, 2024 04:54PM

Nobody ever claimed god said to forget about the 10 Commandments and go ahead and commit adultery with your neighbor's wife. Even Joseph Smith said it was not OK with God, at least in writing, in the "Law of the Priesthood", which I know, was just a lame excuse to placate Emma, which didn't work.

Date: January 14, 2024 06:52PM

God says don't kill God says destroy utterly.
God says marry Helen Mar Kimball
God says I'll destroy you with a drawn sword if you don't
God says sell the book of Mormon copyright
God says don't commit adultery God says raise up seed to your dead brothers family.
God says preserve the virgins but why? does he have a particular plan for them?

Any group that has a prophet will have a lot of commands that never get written down and are changed as needed or desired. In Islam some groups call this abrogation for the contradictions in the Quran.

So I don't know why you're pretending that any of this stuff is consistent or binding when it doesn't need to be or the prophet doesn't want it to be. You know it isn't. It's easy to show the scriptures are contradictory and they'll say it's because God commanded it. so clearly divine command theory is in operation even though they don't know the term.

You're just trying to play gotcha.

Date: January 14, 2024 07:16PM

> You're just trying to play gotcha

If I had The Cat's anti-mormon muscles, I'd flex, too!

Date: January 14, 2024 08:41PM

I just think that the Socratic method still works.

I'm asking a legitimate question and expect serious answers.
Until they can answer honestly, in a public forum, they shouldn't be trusted, at all.

I've never gotten an honest answer to in all the years I've been asking the same question, ever since I read "In Sacred Loneliness" as a Mormon.

How is any of this not completely disqualifying?

I couldn't ever get a straight answer from my Bishop, the Stake President, the Area Authority, and none of them bothered answering it, they just changed the subject and accused me of starting a contentious argument.

So when the church comes to me in a public forum and wants to send missionaries my way, I ask them the same question I ask every missionary.

They all either lie through their teeth or change the subject.

I've asked the same question in comment sections of Newspaper articles on the Mormon church in the SLTrib so many times they banned me.

Just questioning authority gets you banned in Utah.

Date: January 14, 2024 10:01PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just think that the Socratic method still works.
>

You've posted similar accounts and the claims about the Socratic method many many times over the years.

Contrary to your claim above it doesn't seem to work as shown by your repeatedly failed efforts in this.

Nor do I understand your need to crow about it here.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: January 14, 2024 03:14PM

Back in the mid 2000's there was a jewish polygamy dating site.

It was run by a hasidic group, so it was ashkenazi.

It was wild.

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 05:39AM

anonynon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the mid 2000's there was a jewish polygamy
> dating site.
>
> It was run by a hasidic group, so it was
> ashkenazi.
>
> It was wild.

I thought they were monogamous?

Date: January 14, 2024 10:20PM

"Mother knows best."

Date: January 14, 2024 10:24PM

PS. My what a big instrument you have.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.