Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Changeling ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 09:03PM

On this day or remembrance for Martin Luther King Jr., let us reminisce about the 17th Governor of Arizona and devout Mormon who did everything he could to cancel Martin Luther King Jr day and everything to do with it in the state of Arizona not all that long ago, also his term as Governor was not surprisingly a TRAIN WRECK and was cut very short (I think he left before being impeached).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 10:18PM

I wonder what his family people are saying now, are they vocal at all?

Both Mecham & Romney were in the vehicle business as I recall, What does wiki say?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 10:45PM

George Romney, W. Mitt Romney's dad, was head of American Motors, the company that brought us the Nash Rambler!

Mitt was a money man, a sort of financial buzzard.  (Buzzards are part of the circle of life...)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2024 12:06AM

Mitt's Wall Street company specialized in acquiring and then promptly deconstructing companies. You know, the American way.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 16, 2024 12:17AM

Here is a partial list of past investments. My guess is that readers will recognize one or two of the names.

AMC Theatres, Artisan Entertainment, Aspen Education Group, Apex Tool Group, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Canada Goose, DIC Entertainment, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Dunkin' Donuts, D&M Holdings, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), iHeartMedia, ITP Aero, KB Toys, Sealy, Sports Authority, Staples, Toys "R" Us, Virgin Australia, Warner Music Group, Fingerhut, Athenahealth, The Weather Channel, Varsity Brands and Apple Leisure Group.

Some of those are still in existence!

Date: January 16, 2024 04:20PM

I've been inactive for about 18 or so years but in a ward I was in I knew a lady that was his niece (her father was his uncle), and not surprising her view on his governorship in Arizona was that he was persecuted for his religious beliefs and so on , also she as a young adult got a new car every year and other things for belonging to some type of mormon royalty. He might have tried to run the state of Arizona like a car dealership or with old school mormon ideology, you know a train wreck.

Date: January 16, 2024 04:43PM

Changeling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been inactive for about 18 or so years but in
> a ward I was in I knew a lady that was his niece
> (her father was his brother), and not surprising her
> view on his governorship in Arizona was that he
> was persecuted for his religious beliefs and so on
> , also she as a young adult got a new car every
> year and other things for belonging to some type
> of mormon royalty. He might have tried to run the
> state of Arizona like a car dealership or with old
> school mormon ideology, you know a train wreck.

Date: January 16, 2024 12:07AM

Wiki says Mecham was impeached & removed but criminally Not Guilty.

also says he was commuity active, later ran for AZ office but never won again; Ultra Conservative. 7 children.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 16, 2024 11:03AM

The Wikipedia entry is correct--I lived through that. What strikes me now when thinking about the situation is how members of Mr. Meekam's own political party voted to hold him to account by impeaching him. That very same party would more likely today completely back his efforts. And that, I'm afraid, says a lot about the times we live in in the good old U.S.A.

Date: January 16, 2024 10:18PM

It seems he made a cultural mistake regarding MLK day, but I believe that most AZ residents agreed with that 'at that time'.
Times Change in politics somewhat like they do with ChurchCo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.