Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mahu74 ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 01:32PM

Does the temple prohibition of “loud laughter” predate the
Kinderhook plates or was it added after the introduction of aprons, baker’s hats, Pay Lay Ale and the sixty-ninth utterance of “Let us go down” into the ceremony? Seems to me the disembowelling pantomime would obviate the need. I mean, as long as snickering was still allowed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2024 01:33PM by mahu74.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 02:40PM

I think it was added or greatly emphasized during the 1980s because that's when temple attendance began to be pushed hard. Prior to that, the temple attendance was extremely infrequent save to go on a mission or be married/sealed in the temple.

Date: January 17, 2024 03:43PM

You are speculating that the loud laughter admonition came after an increase in temple attendance? Hmmmm, maybe you’re right. Laughter can be infectious. Wouldn’t want a whole chorus of sisters laughing when swearing to obey their husbands.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:59PM

I previously mentioned about an official sign prominently displayed in the temple cafeteria

-Loud laughter is NEVER appropriate in the House of the Lord

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2502575,2502712#msg-2502712

Date: January 17, 2024 05:03PM

I just read your post about your temple experiences. Good stuff. Loud laughter’s a no-no but a little vomit in the font is a-ok. LOL

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 18, 2024 12:38AM

My major introduction to LDS was in 1968.

When ever I was with my GF at her home and anything humorous occurred, and laughing started, the more was cut off by her mother as not being proper.

Laughing was considered immoral as early as the 60's.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 06:22PM

The prohibition against loud laughter is great example of what I hate about Mormonism (and really, most religions).

In the temple, we were told to take a sacred vow “before God, angels, and these witnesses” to avoid loud laughter, but what the F did that even mean? During all my years of activity, tithing, and temple attendance, I never got a straight answer.

Does it mean don’t laugh? No.
Is it the volume (loudness) of the laughter? Uh, probably not.
What is it, then? I had one SP tell me it was that we shouldn’t laugh about inappropriate things. I had two problems with that: 1) how do decide what’s “appropriate,” and 2) why didn’t God say “don’t laugh inappropriately”?

Jesus was the lawgiver in the OT, but he seemed to have a limited vocabulary. Like when he mentioned “hot drinks” in Section 89. Does that mean hot cocoa? No. Does it mean ice tea? Yes. Why did he say “hot drinks” when he meant coffee and tea? Did he not know the words “coffee” and “tea”?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 06:45PM

I don't think most Christians would agree that Jesus was the lawgiver in the OT. The traditional view is that all that matters is what Jesus taught in the NT and that the OT only gains scriptural status because Jesus referred to it.

As far as I know, Mormons are the only ones who believe Jesus was the God of the OT.

I'm open to correction by people who may know better.

Date: January 17, 2024 07:03PM

I certainly don’t know better, so I definitely won’t correct you. ;)

The point I was trying to make (obviously not that well) was from a Mormon perspective. Jesus revealed the D&C to Joe, but somehow didn’t know the word “coffee.” The temple ceremony was revealed, but Jesus couldn’t come out and tell us what we weren’t supposed to laugh about (but we did have to make a sacred vow about it).

Date: January 17, 2024 07:13PM

It's almost like the church was a little con that got out of control, isn't it?

Date: January 17, 2024 07:21PM

Almost ;)

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 09:04PM

ROFL

Date: January 17, 2024 09:34PM

It's like EOD in his dunce cap trying to control the brooms he created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFiWEjCedzY

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.