Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: XY Chromosome ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:02PM

Countless video posts about oneself on instagram/facebook, Tiktok, etc. Besides, most videos don't really represent reality, people only post what they want you to see, your manufactured self.

My main point is, are all the videos about how/why you left LDS Inc. that necessary. Heck, before the world wide web existed people just left and called it a day. Now it's a full on multi chapter video saga.

"Only when you are unsure of who you are do feel you have to prove yourself to others." - author unknown

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:10PM

I bet nobody who got their mission
    call in a #10 envelope (regular
    business size envelope holding 8½"
    x 11" pages) had a "mission reveal"
    party.

Date: January 17, 2024 03:16PM

Yep, we are a video obsessed culture/society.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:19PM

We are in the Age of Dumbing Down. The perpetual screen staring is scary. People are saying, 'You gotta see this' and then showing me the stupidist crap.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:24PM

EOD didn't have video when he got his call. His paperwork had a stick man drawing that looked like he was running when you flipped the pages of the bottom corner.

Date: January 17, 2024 03:15PM

"According to TikTok statistics, “entertainment” is the most popular content category on the platform worldwide. The next most popular categories include dance, pranks, fitness/sports, and home renovations/DIY.Jan 5, 2024"

I would not equate TikTok content on the same level as people getting out of the indoctrination of a cult that often carries heavy consequences of losing family, friends, and even livelihoods. This is not a "manufactured self".

The videos are often about healing and sorting out. No one is looking to get famous from them I doubt. Nor are they hoping to be so popular they get a sponsor from a major make-up or sporting goods company.

I don't like Tik Tok so I don't look at it. It's very easy to turn off anything that doesn't interest you. Well unless you have the same remote that I have on my television and then I am at its mercy. Looks like an airplane cock-pit. Dagnabbed new fangled technology!

Date: January 17, 2024 03:20PM

>> Countless video posts about oneself on instagram/facebook, Tiktok, etc. <<

Is it the compulsion to post or the compulsion to view the post that is the real problem?

>> My main point is, are all the videos about how/why you left LDS Inc. that necessary. Heck, before the world wide web existed people just left and called it a day. <<

Before the WWW people that left often felt alone, not knowing if there were other like them out there, not knowing if anyone felt the same, and having no one to easily reach out to and talk about it. For some, leaving was a very traumatic experience they had to shove down inside and bury.

with the advent of the WWW, they began to see a whole community out there that was like them, felt the same, left the church, etc. Now they can easily reach out for discussion......and to have a voice to warn others about the church.

The WWW is just a tool and many have found a way to use it as they see fit.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:50PM

+1

For every ten egocentric and shallow videos, there is one kid who discovers that he is not alone in his sexuality, or his relationship with his abusive parents, or his hatred of his religion. Does that overwhelm the immense volume of completely self-indulgent posts? I don't know, but it probably comes close.

As to narcissism and juvenility, there are stages in a child's development when narcissism is precisely the right behavior. To say that videos of kids' birthday parties are inappropriate--which BoJ did NOT say--may show that an adult doesn't understand children and their needs or perhaps that the disapproving adult is himself excessively egocentric.

Sure, the internet has done great damage to society. But in that dirty bathwater are no small number of babies.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 04:38PM

Amen and amen.

Date: January 17, 2024 04:51PM

The world would be a better place if more two-year-olds were allowed to be narcissists rather than having to make up the developmental deficit by spending their entire adult lives as such.

Date: January 17, 2024 05:03PM

Touché!

Date: January 17, 2024 05:37PM

Instead of a somewhat private affair of say a dozen people, some birthday parties are now advertised to hundreds (thousands?). If you liked the the birthday party then click on the link to our perfect family on our perfect vacation, accompanied by judiciously coordinated sentimental music.

Now some people request that persons repeat some sort of action or antic to make it look spontaneous, because if it is not on video it didn't really happen.

The late 50's early 60's had a pure and natural flow that blows today's technology obsessed culture away.

The Amish will have the last laugh When the Earth experiences the next Coronal Mass Ejection.

Date: January 17, 2024 06:09PM

> The late 50's early 60's had a pure and natural
> flow that blows today's technology obsessed
> culture away.

The "pure and natural flow" of Jim Crow and racial murder, of women being second-class citizens, of repression of gay people, of multiple futile but sanguinary wars, of unfettered environmental destruction, of public neglect of child and spousal abuse?

Yeah, those were the days.

-------------------
> The Amish will have the last laugh When the Earth
> experiences the next Coronal Mass Ejection.

Why? Will the Amish have state-of-the-art space ships, presumably made of wood, that enable them to join Elon Musk and his worshipers on Mars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2024 06:10PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:23PM

I've recently begun a study to
probe the overwhelming presence,
not to mention the persistence,
of bosoms in online videos.

...it's an exhausting effort!

Date: January 17, 2024 03:26PM

Just be sure to count them individually. You only get half as many if you count them as a pair.

Date: January 17, 2024 06:11PM

Trust Jesus to come up with an odd total.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:24PM

Birthday parties are narcissistic and juvenile. Videos are just the latest tool for the same old impulse.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 03:40PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 06:13PM

It's a modern means of self-expression. I noticed that the bishop who recently stepped down got tons of support right away after posting his videos.

Date: January 17, 2024 06:21PM

> It's a modern means of self-expression.

Without the internet we'd never get to see EOD serenading a potential love interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbCgZOwUrXM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.