Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 11:48AM

"Anchored boats all head one way" May Swenson

I already knew that because I boat a lot, and it's such a warm feeling to finally have the boat on the mooring but when I read her poem with that line made me question being moored or anchored as a double-edge sword. Anchorage can feel so good, so safe, but really needs an expiration date. Just a ship treading water?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 12:02PM

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of poetry. Not that I dislike it...I just don't get it sometimes. I'm sure it takes a ton of creativity to write something like that.

What is the relevance of the poem to this board, and your message to the title of the post?

Please explain.

FC

Date: January 29, 2024 12:39PM

Metaphor of anchoring your self to one set of rules, one way to be, one religion that must not be questioned, one Bible that must be followed.

Accepting "one way" is stagnation. Which is what religion is. Mormonism in particular. More than most.

Date: January 29, 2024 12:47PM

I'm not a fan of poetry either. I have three excerpts that blew me away by three poets. One, "Bleeding" by May Swenson who was raised Mormon in Logan although she did not stay Mormon.

I happened on another poem of hers and tried it which I did not like but that one line hit me hard.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 12:52PM

Farm! I thought this might be a story about titillating descriptions of certain anatomical views of Bare Shoulders at a community pool;

Date: January 29, 2024 01:32PM

I don't know what I was thinking with that title, or----not thinking. Early Monday is not my best time. I hope you find some bare shoulders somewhere! They are good for the soul.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 02:01PM

I knew Mormons who owned swimming pools and obviously went swimming in private. Except for my parents, I never met any adults who went swimming at ward swimming parties. When I think of Mormons at swimming pools, I think of members sitting in chairs around the swimming pool discussing topics of great importance, like who has been called as the ward librarian.

Date: January 29, 2024 03:05PM

HAHA. That is exactly what I was getting at!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 03:58AM

The Concert Master goes over the score & indicates the bowing routine as a conformity; the junior person sharing a music stand turns the pages!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.