Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 10:50AM

We had this old geezer (about the same age as me) stand up and say that soon people were going to come and try to steal our food storage and we had better get ready for it.
As I silently & stealthily rolled my eyes I was thinking that maybe he held the secret to church failing enthusiasm.
As of late the church has tried to curb extremist hoarding culture with a more sane & relevant system.
Maybe a little extremism wouldn't be a bad idea to get people excited.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 11:00AM

"Survivalists simply prepare the
biggest guy in the neighborhood
to live longer than everybody else."

--Mickey Rooney

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 01:55PM

>> ...soon people were going to come and try to steal our food storage and we had better get ready for it. <<

Get ready how?

Load up the guns and shoot them?

Invite them in for a bite to eat?

Hmmmmm....what would Jesus do?

And how would the average starving home invader know where the mormons live so they could try and steal their food?

And wouldn't anyone with a supply of food in their home be susceptible to the same situation?

My dad had sheets of plywood to board up the windows in the garage and we had guns and ammo tucked away. I grew up being told this would happen and I'm 62 now. Hasn't happened yet.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 05:05PM

“how would the average starving home invader know where the mormons live so they could try and steal their food?”

Back in the pre internet days, I often heard the rumor that at survivalist shows and fairs, some of the booths would have stake directories for sale among the guns, ammo, and other gear.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 12:26PM

Sounds about right for a mormon myth. Buy your guns/ ammo and a mormon directory so you can invade their homes, kill them, and take their food when the end comes. Mormons are so persecuted you know.

I would think non-mormon preppers would be more interested in food they can put away that they might like, Like MREs, freeze dried food and other edible stuff as opposed to killing mormons (and maybe getting killed in the process) for a bunch of wheat with weevils ala mode.

I was told the KKK would be burning crosses in mormon yards when I was a kid.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 01:56PM

When my grandma died we hauled a truckload of bags of weevil infested wheat and cans of outdated food to the dump.

When my parents died we rented a huge dumpster and filled it full of outdated food storage that was mostly bought in the 1980’s.

I would have loved someone to have stollen the food storage. Then I wouldn’t have had to waste my time and money getting rid of it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 02:02PM

We never had food storage in Hong Kong. Property is very expensive and we had no room for it. We lived there when a typhoon hit. It was a big mess but people were really good at sharing what they had and we got through it. I learned what’s important is to live around good neighbors.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 02:06PM

> I learned what’s
> important is to live around good neighbors.

That's one's best hope in any disaster.

Date: January 30, 2024 02:18PM

Look how well it works here on RfM, neighbor!

Date: January 30, 2024 05:25PM

You can share our stored food, Jesus.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 03:10PM

We allowed ourselves to be cornered into house sitting for a well to do doctor. He was pretty down to earth, but his wife was ultra-prissy. I'll skip the bulk of the story as to why the couple was furious with us, save that we were shown the treasured food storage when being shown the grand tour of the house.

-Go ahead and help yourselves to our canned goods. That's what they said.

So one day my wife was bored while I was at work and she opened a can of tomato soup. It was no longer red. She found the best buy date and it was 7 years old.

As an unwanted good deed- we threw out their expired canned goods. Two cans were bulging their lids, a sure sign of botulism.

And everyone here knows the outcome of this story. The couple returned from a 30 day cruise and she was livid that we had gorged ourselves on their thousand dollar food storage. And she was so upset over it that on F/T she gave a teary eye cry-amony that her 2 year food storage had been destroyed and that it would take another 5 years to amass what she had lost.

Date: January 30, 2024 03:23PM

How old would that tomato soup be today, had your wife not been sane and intelligent, and thus doomed to disappoint Sister Doctor?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 11:43PM

"Two cans were bulging their lids, a sure sign of botulism."

What a wonderful metaphor for today's church.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 03:44PM

I remember in the 90's Mormons starting saying it's not for armageddon but in case there is a hardship like unemployment. My answer was always, "put that same money in a CD or the stock market". In the end, it's really about armageddon.

Date: January 30, 2024 03:47PM

It was likely canned in 1986. About 38 years old

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 06:57PM

They no longer want to be mormon, they no longer want to be "a peculiar people" but when it comes to this crap they have been saying the same thing since at least the 1960s.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 08:02PM

I remember back in the 70s when my mother was suckered into buying a seven years supply of wheat from the Mormon church. She was newly divorced without a lot of money to spare. Does anyone know if The Mormon church first bought the wheat in bulk with tithing money and then turned around and sold it to the very members whose tithing dollars purchased the wheat in the first place? What a racket! First collect donations to purchase food and then sell the food back to the people who donated the money. No wonder LDS Inc. is so wealthy.

My mother's wheat supply came stored in the basement in metal canisters that quickly rusted. The rats were able to gnaw through the cans and eat the wheat. It all had to be thrown out less than three years after it was purchased. It was the last time my mother purchased food storage.

As far as having a supply of food during the "last days", if the planet is in so much distress that there is not enough food to go around, there will be a lot more to worry about than figuring out how to cook the food supply when there is no electricity. Like others have pointed out, if masses of people are starving and it is known that the Smith family has a food supply, I don't think I would want to be the Smith family, even with ammunition.

Date: January 30, 2024 08:18PM

> Does anyone know if The Mormon
> church first bought the wheat
> in bulk with tithing money

The odds are overwhelming that the mormon church got someone to DONATE the wheat that they then sold...  Does the term, "tax dodge" ring any bells?

Date: January 30, 2024 08:27PM

> Does the term, "tax dodge" ring any
> bells?

Yes, yes. We know which baseball team's pompoms you shake.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 08:10PM

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8098hv

Best lines:
Mrs. Stockton: "Who are these people?"
Dr. Stockton: "They are our neighbors, our friends."

Just watched it (again). Dr.Stockton made one very big mistake. What was it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2024 08:29PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 11:14PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2024 11:47PM by Mannaz.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 03:25AM

One day I Asked my Dad if we were ever going to eat the 100 pound bag of wheat in the basement.

He said Nope.

I asked why do we have it.

He said Your mother bought it.

I asked what are we going to do with it.

He said spread it around the back 40 and when the deer come to eat it we'll eat the deer.

Posted by: highway kid ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 04:33AM

PHIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We had this old geezer (about the same age as me)
> stand up and say that soon people were going to
> come and try to steal our food storage and we had
> better get ready for it.
> As I silently & stealthily rolled my eyes I was
> thinking that maybe he held the secret to church
> failing enthusiasm.
> As of late the church has tried to curb extremist
> hoarding culture with a more sane & relevant
> system.
> Maybe a little extremism wouldn't be a bad idea to
> get people excited.

How would a "sane relevant system" operate? A centralised hub would lead to looting in a disaster. It's the biggest weakness in Mormon prepping.

Date: January 31, 2024 09:00AM

My original premise was to reintroduce traditional extreme food storage in the church to generate some enthusiasm.
Judging by the responses here, I guess it did generate some excitement
even amoung ex mom's.

Date: January 31, 2024 10:50AM

Modern Mormon food storage involves high caloric intake including consumption of sugars and fats.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 10:56AM

I think you might have low standards for excitement, PHIL. ;-)

Date: January 31, 2024 03:55PM

What did you expect from a TBM?

Date: January 31, 2024 08:04PM

When the wind blows...

Date: February 01, 2024 11:31AM

HEY! Wait a minute! This is a veiled insult. No doubt about it I'm being persicuted. But I'll just take it without complaining about my suffering.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 01, 2024 12:56PM

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 01:40PM

what else would you expect from exmos when discussing something like food storage in the Mormon church? I think there are many exmos who remember when they or their parents were suckered into purchasing mass quantities of wheat that eventually either spoiled or fed the rats.

My mother had just been baptized when she was approached by a member of the ward who aggressively talked her into buying several years (7?) of wheat supply. She was almost forced into buying it. She purchased so many canisters of wheat that it took over the basement. She was newly divorced with several children and an ex-husband who didn't always pay child support. She wanted to be an obedient morgbot though and purchased the wheat when the child support check could have been spent on something useful like food we could actually eat. It still makes me angry when I think about it.

Date: January 31, 2024 01:56PM

heartbroken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what else would you expect from exmos when
> discussing something like food storage in the
> Mormon church? I think there are many exmos who
> remember when they or their parents were suckered
> into purchasing mass quantities of wheat that
> eventually either spoiled or fed the rats.
>
> My mother had just been baptized when she was
> approached by a member of the ward who
> aggressively talked her into buying several years
> (7?) of wheat supply. She was almost forced into
> buying it. She purchased so many canisters of
> wheat that it took over the basement. She was
> newly divorced with several children and an
> ex-husband who didn't always pay child support.
> She wanted to be an obedient morgbot though and
> purchased the wheat when the child support check
> could have been spent on something useful like
> food we could actually eat. It still makes me
> angry when I think about it.

My experience as well. I had bags of wheat stuffed under my bed because my dad didn't want it in his workshop. What did I lose?
My childhood collection of Hot Wheels and other toys. They went to Salvation Army for donations (the DI was too far away). We never had a rodent problem until the 40 lb bags were shoved under the bed.

Date: January 31, 2024 12:00PM

Does "Tuscaloosa third ward" refer to something other than a new Tuscaloosa ward in Alabama? Some time ago there was just one ward there.

Date: January 31, 2024 03:52PM

I've been asked that a lot over the years. There never has been a Tuscaloosa third ward. Ocasionally there has been a Tuscaloosa 2nd ward that comes and goes.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: February 01, 2024 12:07PM

Boiled. For breakfast.

I never thought to throw it out.

Date: February 01, 2024 01:08PM

Ah, yes, now I am remembering. The Tuscaloosa third ward can be found right next to the Tuscaloosa Temple ... which, I saw you noted some time ago when I looked up the 'Tuscaloosa third ward' just now on the board ;-) . On the rare occasion that I pass through one of the wards in the area, I wonder if there might be a kindred 'gray beard' spirit sitting nearby.

Date: February 03, 2024 12:25PM

You'd probably find him over at the Jacks scarfing down the fries.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 05:17PM

I now attend the Alberta City Branch which used to meet at the Moon Winx Inn, but now that they've torn it down, we just meet at the Jack's. The French fries make a marvelous substitute for Sacramental bread.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 05:19PM

When I moved to Tuscaloosa in the early nineties, we attended the newly formed Warrior River Ward (not the Black Warrior River Ward - that would not be white and delightsome). It went defunct about four years later and folded back into the Tuscaloosa Ward. Recently, I assume, the Northport Ward was formed.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: February 03, 2024 01:26PM

Hoarding and not sharing? Yeah, I’m sure Jesus would do the same.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.