Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 12:29AM

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/lds-church-faces-third-lawsuit-over-alleged-tithing-misuse/

"The plaintiffs, Gene and Michelle Judson, who have been members of the Church since 1967 and 1971, respectively, echoed Nielson’s claims in their lawsuit. The California couple explained in court documents that they believed their tithing was to used for charitable and welfare purposes or to build and maintain temples and support missionary work.

Instead, they claim the Church used their tithes – an estimated $40,000 between 2003 and 2020 – to help fund the construction of the City Creek Center mall in downtown Salt Lake City. The Judsons described themselves in court documents as “not wealthy” and at times living on limited means, but still routinely paid tithing on an annual basis, until recently.

“The misrepresentation made by Defendants through their agents and employees — including the president of the LDS Church and other high-ranking LDS Church leaders who were also members of Defendant LDS Corporation — that tithing funds would not be used to finance City Creek Center or other commercial, for-profit, purposes were false, intentional, and made to induce Plaintiffs and Class Members to pay tithing funds in spite of Defendants having amassed a $100 billion fund,” alleges the lawsuit."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 03:01AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 03:53AM

sounds like a rather specific claim based around ChurchCos own words.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 05:19AM

Good.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 10:07AM

Maybe this lawsuit will go somewhere.

They are not suing for millions of dollars, an exorbitant amount, but a reasonable amount that an honest tithe payer would be expected to pony up for a TR.

Just my opinion, but previous lawsuits with inflated/bloated millions for emotional distress seem to be soundly defeated in the courts. A smaller amount might get settled quickly by the church.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 12:31PM

So, if I could establish that I paid $40-50k in tithing over a 20-25 year span of time (as we all possibly and probably did do) could we create a class action suit and get this money back? Do I dare dream? Mama needs a new car....just sayin:)

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 31, 2024 05:40PM

I love it!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 01, 2024 03:20PM

Only $40,000? Lucky them. They got off cheaply.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 04, 2024 11:43AM

There is quite an extensive article in the SLTribune today that outlines several cases that are being filed. It sounds like these might turn into a class action being filed in the state of California. TSCC might really be in for some legal trouble explaining how they used member's donations for things other than what a religious organization should be using that money for.

Stay tuned!

Posted by: I ( )
Date: February 04, 2024 12:46PM

Turning busy new [law (less-ness)] suits!

Date: February 04, 2024 12:48PM

SPELLCHECK (changed it)! *#!%✓*

Tithing Buys news uits

Date: February 05, 2024 01:26AM

It's about time... And money!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.