Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: + fries ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 05:40AM

David Bednar gets himself mixed up in some Gaia worship/misplaced guilt about the climate crisis.

List of Participants (Bednar under the Christian group)
https://climaterepentance.com/participants/

It began with a weird ceremony on Mount Sinai. It is not clear whether Bednar took part in this "release event" or in one of the other ten locations (more likely)

"With spiritual anchor at Mount Sinai and with major release event in London, the principles will be released in parallel in multiple global locations (10 locations for 10 principles). Over time, additional sites will join in the process. Scroll through the testimony and reflections offered at ceremonies throughout the world, where our message is being amplified and internalized."

At the event at Mount Sinai (Jebel Musa), religious leaders smashed tablets at the summit.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/activists-smash-tablets-atop-mount-sinai-to-launch-faith-based-climate-push/

Whatever one's take on the climate crisis, this seems an odd and inappropriate way to deal with the matter, and David Bednar was right at the heart of it. This is theater.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 10:20AM

Did he walk across the desert without any water?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 11:18AM

How about parting the Red Sea? That would've made the 6:00 news and given him his 15 minutes of glory.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 11:32AM

Isn’t there a “wandered in the wilderness for 40 years” clause?!?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 11:43AM

They hoped that Bednar wouldn't make it back.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 12:19PM

HOLY CRAZY!!!!

The church has really gone off the rails.

I predict the church is going to start seeing public protests by members and former members. This is unlike any mormonism I have seen before and I believe groups within the church will start breaking off in different directions. Big families are going to get behind Huntsman in his attempt to get back tithing money.

Many members don't even believe in a climate crisis.They are trying to pay rent and feed children.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 01:11PM

My mom believed in the climate crisis but said that she had faith that with Heavenly Father in charge she wasn't worried about it. That sort of makes sense, but, how do we alert Heavenly Father to the crisis. He is hard to get hold of.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 01:41PM

Heavenly Father has also been protecting the SLTemple against earthquakes too, but the Q15 are still having a seismic foundation installed. God is just not that reliable.

Of course the event was theater. I don’t see any claims that it was anything else. That doesn’t mean that theater doesn’t matter.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 02:22PM

That 1850’s sandstone and lime mortar foundation did its job. The temple never settled which actually is amazing because it sits right on the Wasatch fault. There’s no cement in the original foundation and there was worry the lime mortar joints could become weak. The church has money to burn so why not shore it up.

Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 05:16PM

This post about your mom shows just how crippling and destructive religion can be.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 02:15PM

What’s next? Apostles speaking at the World Economic Forum on population reduction? Ezra Taft Benson is rolling in his grave.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 08:09PM

You seem distressed that LDS Inc is losing its Bircher patina. It’s been downhill ever since Blacks were allowed in the temple. Where’s Mark E and J Reuben when you need them?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 08:45PM

The church turned against that lunacy under Hinckley in the 1990s. It appears that a lot of people weren’t paying attention.

Date: February 05, 2024 09:20PM

Elder Bednar, I hear Gaza is nice this time of year.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 09:20PM

I don't understand the problem. Isn't it a good thing for church leaders of any denomination to take a stand on a contemporary issues important to societal well being?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 09:25PM

Duck, my friend. Incoming.

Posted by: + fries ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 04:43AM

Humberto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand the problem. Isn't it a good
> thing for church leaders of any denomination to
> take a stand on a contemporary issues important to
> societal well being?

The problem is that it's gesture like so many things nowadays. It achieves precisely nothing for the cause, much like putting a ribbon on your Facebook avatar or your shirt.

But it is noteworthy that this ceremony hasn't been publicized among the church's membership or even investigators. Instead, Bednar met up with a bunch of other domesticated "global faith leaders" somewhere and took part in a strange ceremony. Many Jews, Muslims and Christians would consider the smashing up of tablets on Mt. Sinai a blasphemous act, and that also counteracts any intended good will.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 08:53AM

Did it, or did it not catch your attention?

How many other people noticed the "gesture"?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 10:44AM

Remember, most local churches don't have National or International leaders as ChurchCo does with the RC exception.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 10:07AM

I think he was there so the LDS Corp was represented and not because the church believes that the climate is in danger. They might also participate in a world wide woman and god seminar because they want PR and not because they're interested in fostering changes for women.

Posted by: Joe the Construction Worker ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 03:20PM

Look at the SLC project How much pollution was created to tear up Temple Square, etc Look at how far down they went. How much pollution just to remove the dirt? Then look at the amount or reinforcing iron is being used in the project. That has to be a giant carbon foot print. What about all the materials and water used to the concrete? And the Church goes over there to support climate change when all they have to do is look in their back yard and see that what they are doing is opposing what those people are doing at the Climate lets the Break the Tablets Conference.
The question about temple Square needs to be ask? Why all this work? What is the purpose?
This shows me either the Church knows their no climate issue so the SLC project is good and they went over there and they are lying. Or they have not thought this through and have no clue what they are doing. I am sure the that the TBM may be a bit upset when they really start to think about it a little deeper. I was shocked at the amount and size of reinforcing rod that is now being laid around the SLC temple. But the whole project is just one maze or iron rod and concrete. Again for what purpose? Maybe Utah is baptizing people like crazy.

Date: February 07, 2024 05:53AM

Ever play Monopoly? The church has Monopoly money to spend on improving properties just because they can.

It's a good way to keep their cronies employed.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 06:52PM

If the church was truly as inspired and prophetic as they say they are, they should have been sounding the alarms decades ago on this topic.

There were even people like Rachel Carson speaking out so they so they could have bought a vowel back then. But no, when it comes to scientific topics, they fight it until shamed into pretending they were on board all along.

Posted by: Gilaman ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 09:11AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the church was truly as inspired and prophetic
> as they say they are, they should have been
> sounding the alarms decades ago on this topic.
>
> There were even people like Rachel Carson speaking
> out so they so they could have bought a vowel back
> then. But no, when it comes to scientific topics,
> they fight it until shamed into pretending they
> were on board all along.

They did this because they think it's popular. The church feels no shame.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 08, 2024 02:18PM

From the thread you started I've added some more images and links over at the other exmo community.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/1am3179/elder_david_bednar_officially_repents_for_climate/

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: February 08, 2024 11:07PM

But does it even count since they didn't include his middle initial?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.