Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 08:48PM

Just curious if you've found that scenario to be at all T/F in your own personal sphere of influence???

Enquiring minds wanna know!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 09:32PM

I don't think I ever got further than What T/F.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 10:04PM

Lol

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 02:54PM

Yes, it happened to me.

When I left Mormon Utah and Idaho (where I had grown up) to do my graduate studies I considered myself to be an unofficial missionary for Mormonism. When I approached fellow students and tried to convert them I discovered that faithful Protestants and Catholics knew more about Mormonism than I did. It was all lies, of course, which I had to check in order to set them straight. But after lots of checking I found that what they said was mostly true. It was the thing that started me on my way out.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 07, 2024 03:14PM

I had two friends who got married in Bozeman MT a year and a half ago, he a lapsed Canadian Anglican who has known me his entire life.

Their honeymoon was taking them through SLC. He quipped that he would let me know if he runs into the One Mighty and Strong. He had read Under the Banner of Heaven, and had clearly paid attention!

I also attended BoM musical in London, and the audience laughed in all the right places. Except for a couple seated directly in front of me. They were wearing Mormon Sunday clothes (suit and dress), looked late middle-age. They laughed at very little in the show. I’d bet the entire farm that they were LDS!

Posted by: a Brian ( )
Date: February 23, 2024 06:06AM

I've got to admit I've been underwhelmed by the videos I've seen. I'm not a big fan of musicals and the humor seems to be of the "low hanging fruit" variety.

Posted by: Dallin Hoax ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 07:07AM

I suppose it depends what you mean by "know". One of my friends knows about the church via South Park and Jack Chick tracts. I pointed out neither were 100% accurate, certainly not the Chick tracts! He collects Chick tracts because he has a strange sense of humor.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 23, 2024 06:09AM

My experience has been that your average nevermo associates Mormonism with polygamy, even all these years later. They may know about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. My sister-in-law did not know that JS had plural "wives." Apart from that, it's what they pick up from the broader culture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2024 06:09AM by summer.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 23, 2024 06:38PM

I think generally those outside Mormonism know disjoined pieces about Mormonism, some of it quite false. My experience is that those with other beliefs generally focus on specific beliefs or issues they disagree with but without much ability to connect things together. Not sure why it would be otherwise.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.