Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 01:01AM

The members have been conditioned to follow the current prophet. The previous prophet is soon forgotten and all loyalty goes to the current one. Some pretty extreme and even stupid changes are accepted. I’m wondering how far and fast changes can be made without causing a mass exodus from the church. It seems that the members are more into following a prophet than critical thinking or following long standing doctrine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 01:37AM

One change that I hope they never make is losing the hanky waving chanting thing. That cracks me up every time I see it. Amen, amen, amen.

Posted by: St Johns ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 09:23AM

sunbeep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One change that I hope they never make is losing
> the hanky waving chanting thing. That cracks me up
> every time I see it. Amen, amen, amen.

The church changes all the time. It is barely recognizable from back when I was baptized. The temple ceremony has been changed multiple times. The Book of Mormon has also been changed. So have the Doctrine and Covenants.

The church has changed a lot. That's why you need to be more specific in how you want it to change.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 04:07PM

Talk about the narcissism of small differences.

The BoM has changed, what, 10 words total in the three most recent changes? "Pure and delightsome", "principle ancestors"

The Endowment Ceremony is still quite recognizably goofy Mormonism.

The biggest change I have seen is the rebranding of the name. Now "Mormon" makes baby Jesus cry. For better of for worse, Mormonism is still quite clearly recognizable as Mormonism, despite the various shades of lipstick that have been applied.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 01:46AM

Self-censorship of critical thought is part of the pathology. It's why we exmos think, "How could I have been so stupid?".

It's not that you can't question, it's that you don't question. Because what would be the point? These men who spoke for God could do no wrong. We stuck by the church the way a battered wife sticks by her husband. "It was something I did", we said. God needed a doormat. "Use me", we said.

Well, as they say in Utah, fetch that.

With that mental facility turned off, and it has to be turned off for Mormonism to work, change occurs at a glacial pace.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2024 02:00AM by bradley.

Posted by: St Johns ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 09:12AM

The current Cult of Change is a silly one. Rot is also a form of "change". Does anyone want that? Change for change's sake is stupid, as we have seen under Nelson. Change is not always improvement.

The church promotes this buzzword too. Bednar loves "change" too.

"If you don't like change, find another church." – David Bednar
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lcp4oOT-Bto

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 10:04AM

OK I watched a the bit where he said that about change, and a minute or two after. Clearly the only acceptable change is the one that he and his cohorts will guide you through, or put another way, learn the tricks that they will teach you.

My brother has copied Bednar's mannerisms to a tee. I cannot bear to be around him. He exhibits the same practiced smug fake humility and that "special voice" to signal his own superiority. It is sickening. So hard to believe this works on so many people.

What I found the most offensive was the directive at the beginning for everyone to remain seated at the conclusion until they arose and had left the room. They have a deep need to feed their supposed celebrity status in any way they can.

I am disgusted by "apostle worshipers" as much as I am disgusted by the likes of Bednar. Maybe more. Get some self esteem folks.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 10:21AM

The church will only change when its members change.

The main job description of the "leaders" is to tell the members that they are doing everything right. That is the whole message of General Conference. If a leader were to ever try to tell the members that they needed to be different, he would be out on his ear in a nanosecond. To repeat: the church will only change when your brother-in-law changes.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 10:52AM

"Change? We want more than your change. We want at least 10% of your money. Plus all your time and talents. Oh, and have you thought about leaving all your property to us in your will?"

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 11:23AM

I don't care what they change. I know there are changes they won't make.

They won't change into a truthful organization.
They won't change into an actual charity for the good of others.

Those are the only changes that would matter to me.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 11:30AM

I skipped through and watched a bit more of Bednar where he talks about the "Covenant Path". All change he's talking about is for everyone else to change to follow the Church's directives and requirements. Bednar's examples of change are to be even more sycophantic to the church than the members already are.

He is using the word change in place of blind obedience as a way to make it sound like a positive. Like you thought of it yourself and are on the cutting edge instead of lagging behind a world of people who are actually striving to do better-- many of them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 12:13PM

They also won't change it being OK for family members using ChurchCo as a wedge between family members & friends.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 01:30PM

It’s continuing revelation, dontcha know.

TG

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 05:28PM

Short answer: Not enough.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 05:48PM

I think many church members like to see changes. Many members wonder what new thing will be announced at General Conference. It adds a little excitement. Changes are proof that there's continuing revelation.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 10, 2024 11:11PM

End it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 01:25AM

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 02:44AM

There behind the glass stands a real blade of grass. . .

Posted by: SIASD ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 01:51AM

((Stupid Is As Stupid Does))

Forrest Gump

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 09:05AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems that the members are more into
> following a prophet than critical thinking or
> following long standing doctrine.

That's why it's a cult...

Posted by: LadyKorihor ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 03:49PM

Whatever they need to maintain tax exemption status

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: February 26, 2024 09:06AM

Here is one change the Church will never make:
The Church will never make change on your tithing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.