Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concern ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 05:28PM

Lesson was on tithing and the reason to pay tithing!!!!! Come on you know the reason. So you can go to the temple and receive revelation!!!! Yes. No tithing no recommend and no temple trip and less revelation. Here I thought it was fire insurance.

Here was the real revelation in the lesson. We had a member of SP Presidency High Council. He shared with us that of all the people in our stake that are endowed less than 50% have temple recommends. That includes me. So I was taught that I am not receiving all the light and knowledge I could if I pay tithing. And yes we were taught today that God and the Church does not need our money but we need the blessings from paying tithing.

I wanted to ask the question. I run many races , an average of 2 a month. Most of the races are for charity. The money goes to various organizations. Does that count? I know the answer is no. the discussion was very typical. Very little critical thinking skills required and follow the brethren who spoke on tithing last conference. The teacher did a great lesson unless you know the facts.

He was shocked after the lesson when I told him to look at reference #20 in Dusty's talk and how it is a disclaimer to what he said. He is a lawyer and I the look was "I do not believe you." I assured him it was there so what he said in his lesson today was invalided by the prophet and the Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 06:52PM

What's reference 20 in Dusty's talk?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 07:01PM

Not all rat holes are equal. It only counts if you throw your money down the church's rat hole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2024 07:01PM by bradley.

Posted by: Concerned ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 07:10PM

Reference note 20 to quote he made

Posted by: Robbie ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 07:38AM

It sounds like you've had a curious lesson on tithing and how it connects to temple attendance and receiving revelation. But you're right; one very practical aspect of tithing is its link to the temple recommend process. Did anyone say how they feel about the broader spiritual reasons behind paying tithing, beyond temple attendance?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 07:39AM

It's a pay-to-play system.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 13, 2024 06:29PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a pay-to-play system.

Mormon 8:32 prophesied that [false] churches would forgive sins for money

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 11:23AM

What ARE the broader spiritual reasons behind temple attendance and tithing that you intimate exist? Do tell?

How spiritual is it for some to choose between rent or food or medical care and paying ten percent to a $100 billion and counting church?

And the temple? Spiritual? What a joke.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 10:45AM

So finding out that the temple ceremony is a mindless, silly, crashing bore is considered "revelation"? And I would add a second silly to that.

And that is why you are rushed out before you can ask whoever took you for you endowments, "WTF?!?". 9"F" being fudge of course.)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 11:07AM

What the footnote implies is that paying may not bring you additional blessings (Your experience may vary) temporal or spiritual. I think that's the point that Rusty is backpedaling on the former "absolute" promise of a blessing due to exact diligence and obedience to a so called celestial law.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 11:15AM

From time to time over the last half century plus of my experience, the subject has come up of are contributions to charities tithing.

The official church stance has always been a hard no. Usually accompanied by the explanation that it has to be given to one of the Lord's anointed and spent as directed by the spirit.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 12:35PM

Your spot on, but those of us who took the blinders off, know better.

The City Creek Mall had nothing to do with God or serving mankind. Although the church claimed no tithing went into the mall, that is a lie. It was tithing contributions that eventually provided the resources and structure to build the mall, the 100 Billion Fund, real estate holdings, and for profit business.

God and business are two different things. Christ was not a business man! Only men of business would twist the concept of tithing only being valid in Gods mind if it was given to them to manage per their direction.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: February 19, 2024 06:40PM

It is not just the lds church, but many other churches teach the same thing. Giving tithing (though not quite as strict as the Mormon teaching of it, normally it's suggested at a good percentage from the Baptist churches, maybe even up to 10%, but no one sees how much you give and no pressure except for their once a month - or so it seems - teaching/preaching/begging to give to them) is taught by many of the churches I've gone to.

It almost never goes to charity. It goes to support the coffers of the church, pay the staff, pay for the building and utilities, things like that. Sometimes the churches also put into charity, but sometimes not.

I imagine the church secretary (who manages finances of the church board) may have an idea how much you pay if you give checks via directly (or maybe on the donation plate) as someone has to see the checks and cash them into the church account, but there is no making you feel personally guilty or restricting you from church services if you don't donate or tithe.

It's not a charity thing though. That's the weird thing I've learned about Mormons from the internet forums and such like this place, for some reason Mormons think tithing is supposed to be Charity?

I've never seen that taught in any church really. I guess it goes with the US tax system (and write offs, tithing I THINK may count as charity offerings as well...I never made enough to actually have it really matter, or maybe I didn't pay enough tithing as per Mormon standards), but I don't recall that being a biblical teaching (Baptist background, sue me...actually, don't sue me, but yeah...baptists are pretty hardcore bible).

I kind of feel that's how you know a good preacher from a bad one. Look at what they do with the tithes and donations. IF he has this massive house, a lot of cars and other things...probably not such a decent or humble preacher.

Best, or at least most honest, preacher I ever met was one who lived in a trailer with his family (mobile home). He definitely wasn't in it for the money, yet helped out in the community regularly and helped others, even those who had it better than himself!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 11:40AM

Temple attendance is only important in Ireland. You might see a Leprechaun in the Celestial Room.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: February 14, 2024 12:48PM

Being asked to ‘catch up’ on tithing could reasonably called having to pay indulgences, as it suggested you need to make amends for the ‘sin’ of not having been a full tith payer. This sort of practice was one of the factors that led to the Reformation.

Then we get to denying people access to saving ordinances for money.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 14, 2024 03:52PM

One of the newest temples in Texas is in McAllen. I went through the open house tour last Fall. It only has 45 seats for the endowment session.

I played dumb and asked the lady in the room how many could be seated. The lady wouldn't talk to me. She would smile and point to a sign behind me. So I ramped up my questioning- So what happens if 50 or more members show up.

She said "They won't"

I replied "But doesn't your church have more than 45 members in this area?"

So if the church already acknowledges that temples are now being built for "small groups" then why beat the "You had better pay your tithing" drum?

The church seems to know that less than half of the endowed maintain a TR. If they truly believe that every member will seek and pay for a TR then their temples are being built too small.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.